Wycombe in peace, Wycombe (A) 3pm 18/02/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Wycombe in peace, Wycombe (A) 3pm 18/02/23

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:01 pm
Well, that was crap.

Should have had a pen and arguably deserved a point. Their keeper made all his saves, our lad fell asleep for one at his near post.

It happens. We lost the second hardest fixture in our run in, so whilst I'm disappointed with the performance I'm not shocked at the result.

The false weighting of Wednesday's semi is a bit daft, but obviously we really want to win it and go to Wembley. If not we'll just crack on with the league.
What is up with you FFS, 'we really want to win it & go to Wembley' why ? its a nothing competition no one is interested apart from a few, as I said I've attended evert BWFC Wembley appearance since Bristol City in 86 - I wouldn't attend the Papa Johns Final if I had free tickets, free drinks & a taxi picking me up - its the worst most embarrassing competition in Football League history IMO

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:13 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:08 pm
What is up with you FFS, 'we really want to win it & go to Wembley' why ? its a nothing competition no one is interested apart from a few, as I said I've attended evert BWFC Wembley appearance since Bristol City in 86 - I wouldn't attend the Papa Johns Final if I had free tickets, free drinks & a taxi picking me up - its the worst most embarrassing competition in Football League history IMO
If you like.

It's a competition we are in, so I want to win it. I want to win every comp we are in. I don't really care if you rate it or not - if Bolton are in it I want to win it and I will travel to support the team.

If you think you're too good for it don't go.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:16 pm

Missed the whole match. Scoreline is bad as are the shot counters. Looks like it played out the way I thought it would.

Tough team away and we struggle to break them down when they start slowing the game down.

I'll give it a watch, but I suspect there's a bigger eye on Wednesday than today's match.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:13 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
If you like.

It's a competition we are in, so I want to win it. I want to win every comp we are in. I don't really care if you rate it or not - if Bolton are in it I want to win it and I will travel to support the team.

If you think you're too good for it don't go.
Enjoy the trip....would it be a first for you ?

If BWFC did anything today to save people for Weds then they seriously want sectioning.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:25 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:17 pm
Enjoy the trip....would it be a first for you ?
Final or Wembley trip? No, either way.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:27 pm

Our Achilles heel - physical teams away!

Wycombe remind me of Derby in that they actually have good players as well as a rugged style of play. I'm expecting a similar performance and result against Sheffield Wednesday in a few weeks, and the ensuing meltdown on social media will be amusing.

I actually think we'll beat Accrington relatively easily on Wednesday fwiw.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:29 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:01 pm
Well, that was crap.

Should have had a pen and arguably deserved a point. Their keeper made all his saves, our lad fell asleep for one at his near post.

It happens. We lost the second hardest fixture in our run in, so whilst I'm disappointed with the performance I'm not shocked at the result.

The false weighting of Wednesday's semi is a bit daft, but obviously we really want to win it and go to Wembley. If not we'll just crack on with the league.
It might be all of those things but it’s a Wembley trip and a trophy we could win. It may be the only one of those we ever have in our lifetimes. I think considering we are in essence now a lower league club living off a lower league income and certainly not some billy big bollocks team dreaming of the premiership we have to deal with what we are.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:29 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:27 pm

Wycombe remind me of Derby in that they actually have good players as well as a rugged style of play. I'm expecting a similar performance and result against Sheffield Wednesday in a few weeks, and the ensuing meltdown on social media will be amusing.

If we fall into the trap of this will be easier than Wycombe then we're in for a rough ride.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:30 pm

Heading home. Pretty gutted but I thought we gave it a good go. They’re a good team with some good players.

Think we deserved a point and really should have had a penalty.

Their goal was a hell of a finish and as soon as it left his boot it was nestling in. Easy to say it was Traffs near post but it was a thundercvnt fizzing around the air and high into the net. Very difficult to save.

We improved when Jerome came on, as did Adeboyejo. Starting Jones on the left was a mistake. Their diamond gives them an extra midfielder and Jones having to come inside played right into their hands. We were outnumbered in there for a while and eventually had to simply bypass them.

Ah well. On we go.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:31 pm

A defeat on Wednesday would be the most disappointing of the season imo - worse than FGR or Cheltenham.

They've really struggled this year having lost their best players in summer and not getting in sufficient replacements. Coleman looked a broken man a couple of weeks ago.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:35 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:29 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:27 pm

If we fall into the trap of this will be easier than Wycombe then we're in for a rough ride.
I dont think the players will be thinking that. It's certainly a match we should be winning though

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:36 pm

It is buddy, but this is Bolton.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

It might be all of those things but it’s a Wembley trip and a trophy we could win. It may be the only one of those we ever have in our lifetimes. I think considering we are in essence now a lower league club living off a lower league income and certainly not some billy big bollocks team dreaming of the premiership we have to deal with what we are.
I give up, in all the history of BWFC you seriously think that we should put 'Papa Johns Trophy 2023 finalists or winners' up there ? we may as well put blue peter badge winners.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:39 pm

Has Jeeves shit in the tea or something?!

Shame about today. I'm excited about Weds and would be excited about Wembley. I'm ok with that.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
It might be all of those things but it’s a Wembley trip and a trophy we could win. It may be the only one of those we ever have in our lifetimes.
There's also a strong argument to make that this club needs to learn how to win things. At this level the aim should be to win everything, rather than being too good for the level we are actually at right now. League One and the EFL Trophy are our level. We should aspire to be better, but right now if we can't even win those competitions we've no right to be snobby about them. You're sure as hell not too good for a competition you can't win.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:39 pm
Has Jeeves shit in the tea or something?!

Shame about today. I'm excited about Weds and would be excited about Wembley. I'm ok with that.
Just post loss grimness.

Come Wednesday I'll be shouting like a nutter again.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:23 pm

Don't see why people are being to crap on the chance to win a cup. We should be positive towards the cup as the rest of the teams that have competed in it would have loved the Wembley trip. Make it and win it. Let's not be disparaging all because its not the pinnacle of success

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:36 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:23 pm
Don't see why people are being to crap on the chance to win a cup. We should be positive towards the cup as the rest of the teams that have competed in it would have loved the Wembley trip. Make it and win it. Let's not be disparaging all because its not the pinnacle of success
Find it especially odd as, by his own reckoning, Bertie has been to two previous finals in this comp. Given that there is more money in it now and he's rocked up in London for it twice before, seems odd to see everyone else as weird for wanting to go :conf:

Anyway, my little boy will be thrilled if we get to make the trip down for it. If we win anything at Wembley he will go crazy.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:57 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I give up, in all the history of BWFC you seriously think that we should put 'Papa Johns Trophy 2023 finalists or winners' up there ? we may as well put blue peter badge winners.

I think you might just have to accept your opinion on this is something of an outlier.

I have very little regard for the competition myself and haven't attended a single fixture since we re-entered it, however tickets for the semi-final sold literally in a matter of minutes and I get the sense people are desperate for a trip to Wembley after everything that's happened during the past deacde. Frankly, I can't begrudge them that.

And when all said and done, the possibility of us catching up with the top two was always remote. We will finish in the play-offs regardless of today's result. I'm pretty certain about that.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:58 pm

Couldn't sound more Billy Big Bollocks - exactly the same attitude we've consistently given fans of clubs like Newcastle and West Ham stick on here for in the past - than saying we're "too big" to win the EFL trophy. Petulant behaviour.

I'm with Ghost. If we're in a competition, I want us to win it. Couldn't care less what competition it is.

But I don't think the team today was at all picked with Wednesday night in mind. The changes made weren't all that drastic, and the team wasn't all that different from that which has gotten us all excited the last couple of weeks. We've lost on fine margins, not after being battered. We're still in the race for promotion, and odds on for playoffs at least. It happens. Dust ourselves off, and let's go unbeaten until the end of the season now.