Concerned over the stadium's new name? Toughsheet

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Concerned over the stadium's new name? Toughsheet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:08 pm

We have a local sponsor who are fans and have given the club the most lucrative sponsorship deal in its history. The sponsors are fans. There is a link. They believe in the shared values of the owners of restoring BWFC to its community roots and integrating the club in the town.

When you bake all that together it’s great news. If you really are that bothered by a name over all the other things it’s a bit sad. We don’t want to be sponsored by a local firm with links to the club and people who are fans, we’d rather be sponsored by some sports brand who use sweat shops in Asia…genuinely don’t get that.

I’m not even sure it’s a ‘bad’ name. I mean service my car is a bit naff. It’s a means to an end but it’s not exactly great. Toughsheet has a bit of Boltonian spirit in there, bit tongue in cheek. But Christ. It hardly matters.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:21 pm

Insano acting as the voice of reason makes me a little uncomfortable…

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:27 pm

It's a stadium name that you would expect to be associated with a National League team - so bad from FV, embarrassing IMO.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:40 pm

I think it's shite. And I'm already getting stick from people who don't even like football. But I'll live. And I'm happy to take it given it sounds like a lot of cash.

Surely it can't be more money than we were getting in the Prem though?! Cost of living crisis or not.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:40 pm
Surely it can't be more money than we were getting in the Prem though?! Cost of living crisis or not.
It's over 5 years. They will be making that claim about the total value of the deal, not per annum.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:57 pm

Rumour is its £750k pa.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:48 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:40 pm
It's over 5 years. They will be making that claim about the total value of the deal, not per annum.

I'm no expert but I'd imagine it's that and also the fact that Reebok and Macron being shirt manufacturers and sponsors as well - as opposed to signing an outright stadium naming sponsorship - has something to do with it.

There's certainly a whiff of creative marketing about it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:05 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:57 pm
Rumour is its £750k pa.
Is that not worth a bit of stick from away fans?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:05 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Rumour is its £750k pa.
And probably a decent signing in the squad..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:05 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Rumour is its £750k pa.
I think some are stuck in the premiership mentality where hundred thousand here or there is nowt. But we are in a position where to us a few hundred thousand is a fortune. It’s the reality of where we are.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:32 pm

It's a local business and it fits into a green ethos which we should lean into next season. We literally sing "Wanky Wanderers" about ourselves, but apparently "Toughsheet" is going too far.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:32 pm
It's a local business and it fits into a green ethos which we should lean into next season. We literally sing "Wanky Wanderers" about ourselves, but apparently "Toughsheet" is going too far.

I think there's probably a difference between the supporters chanting ironically and the club itself entering into a commercial partnership with a company that has a double entendre as its name.

Others will disagree but I just think it's a bit cheap.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:27 pm
It's a stadium name that you would expect to be associated with a National League team - so bad from FV, embarrassing IMO.
How terrible. Our owners have undertaken a thorough search and found us the best financial deal possible. What sort of way is that to run a business??

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:01 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:45 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:27 pm
How terrible. Our owners have undertaken a thorough search and found us the best financial deal possible. What sort of way is that to run a business??
And if it makes us the laughing stock of the league in the process then that's ok !

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:08 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:44 pm
I think there's probably a difference between the supporters chanting ironically and the club itself entering into a commercial partnership with a company that has a double entendre as its name.

I would rather be sponsored by AO, but it is what it is.

Would you rather take, say, half the money and have a stadium name you like better? I'll keep the lights on, thanks.

All stadium sponsorship names are cheap. Reebok and Macron both sounded cheap. This is probably now the daftest stadium name in the country, but it'll eventually be adopted by the fans as an in-joke. We chant Wanky Wanderers because that's what rivals used to call us, so we adopted it and they stopped bothering.

For me it's no different to thinking we're too good for the EFL Trophy. We're poor and we're crap. Get used to that reality until it changes. Aspire to better, but accept reality.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:08 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

Would you rather take, say, half the money and have a stadium name you like better? I'll keep the lights on, thanks.

All stadium sponsorship names are cheap. Reebok and Macron both sounded cheap. This is probably now the daftest stadium name in the country, but it'll eventually be adopted by the fans as an in-joke. We chant Wanky Wanderers because that's what rivals used to call us, so we adopted it and they stopped bothering.

For me it's no different to thinking we're too good for the EFL Trophy. We're poor and we're crap. Get used to that reality until it changes. Aspire to better, but accept reality.
Dress it up how ever you like but it's small time & embarrassing to many BWFC fans, and this we're poor & we are shit and just accept everyone taking the piss is the new reality doesn't wash - FV have done a lot of good for the club but this stinks. Have some pride FFS.

Cue the we wouldn't have a club gang....also if Reebok & Macron sounded cheap then what the Feck does this sound, pound shop Bolton market cheap.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:29 pm

I thinking a few might be fairly easily embarrassed, if this is going to stop them walking to the match. Between this and we don't want any revenue for a Wembley trip, I can only figure we're going to execute Haaland's release clause in the summer..

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:08 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

Oh, give over. There's no equivalence at all.

We're a professional football club and I'd prefer us not to enter into a sponsorship deal with a company that chose as it's name a cheeky pun on the phrase "tough shit" whichever level we play at.

I don't care about the size of the company that sponsors us, I care about the professional image of the club.

I'd feel the same no matter which club I supported. It has nothing to do with arrogance.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:36 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:22 pm
Dress it up how ever you like but it's small time & embarrassing to many BWFC fans, and this we're poor & we are shit and just accept everyone taking the piss is the new reality doesn't wash - FV have done a lot of good for the club but this stinks. Have some pride FFS.

Cue the we wouldn't have a club gang....also if Reebok & Macron sounded cheap then what the Feck does this sound, pound shop Bolton market cheap.
Too good for the Papa Johns, too good for the shirt sponsors and too good for the stadium sponsors.

:conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:36 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:22 pm

Too good for the Papa Johns, too good for the shirt sponsors and too good for the stadium sponsors.

:conf:
If the reality that we aren’t owned by someone with deep pockets ‘won’t cut it’ then I’m not sure what sort of argument can be made.

Don’t give me reality - I don’t like it.