Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:18 am

I wasn't worried about losing that game. Certainly not after the first 20 minutes.

But I did fear they would try and ride it out for penalties. Fortunately our pressing after the break exposed their vulnerabilities and our confidence improved. More shots from outside the box than I've seen recently.

I watched the game in the Whites Hotel. Strange atmosphere but delighted to see young families in there excitedly booking hotels and planning their journeys. I can't go, unfortunately, this time but I think this will be a cracking day out.

Incidentally has anyone noticed how we rarely get a mention on Look North West? This morning they mentioned City's result last night and Man U's impending game. Us? Nada.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:21 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 am
Someone needs to explain to me why Trafford was booked exactly. What foul did he commit?
I thought the ref was cack all night. Coyle should have had three yellows before his stretcher and the home players were flying into tackles (and throwing themselves to the floor) all night long until they lost the energy.

Coleman’s a belligerent bell-end but there’s some truth to what he said about Traf’s challenge being a red or nowt; from what I saw, the truth is nowt.
I mean I fully agree with Ghost I’ve no idea what Trafford was doing,

But he came out jumped and won the ball then clashed heads. It wasn’t careless or reckless play. And he won the ball.

At the time I thought he must have caught him with his arm. But he wins the ball and it’s just a clash of heads.

How is that a foul?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 am

Either way he took one for the team.
IMG-20230223-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230223-WA0001.jpg (99.74 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
Ouch.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:26 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 am
Either way he took one for the team.

IMG-20230223-WA0001.jpg

Ouch.
Are Accrington fans stupid enough to think a clash of heads after he won the ball is a foul? Christ.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:50 am

It was a 50/50 tackle, they both went up for a header. Just because Trafford is a keeper doesn’t mean he should t be allowed to challenge for a header! It’s absolute nonsense they think that’s a red card. I hope Coyle is OK but as DSB says he should have been sent off in the first half anyway.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:51 am

So good to have a couple of big fearless defenders at our back. Was great seeing Santos brush a couple of Accies off like annoying flies.

I so wanted Dion Charles to score. For me..In anything but heading ability he's up with Kev Davis for commitment to the cause. He's ever covered in perspiration from effort and despite not scoring he had one disallowed and hit both the post and bar last night. The shot that hit the bar, had it gone in, would have been hailed as a wonder goal for weeks. Might be worthwhile remembering he's scored 17 in all comps so far this season. In an era where you can't call a fireman a fireman and midget gems are mini-gems, is it okay to raise a glass to the Irishman? I'll do it anyway. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:58 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:51 am
So good to have a couple of big fearless defenders at our back. Was great seeing Santos brush a couple of Accies off like annoying flies.

I so wanted Dion Charles to score. For me..In anything but heading ability he's up with Kev Davis for commitment to the cause. He's ever covered in perspiration from effort and despite not scoring he had one disallowed and hit both the post and bar last night. The shot that hit the bar, had it gone in, would have been hailed as a wonder goal for weeks. Might be worthwhile remembering he's scored 17 in all comps so far this season. In an era where you can't call a fireman a fireman and midget gems are mini-gems, is it okay to raise a glass to the Irishman? I'll do it anyway. :oyea:
He was trying too hard last night. He was desperate to score. A bit too desperate as shown by just creeping offside (was he deffo off?) when standing a yard back meant he had a tap in from Bradley. But didn’t matter in the end.

I’m man enough to admit it that Kachunga proved me wrong last night. He was very good. I’m still not having him as a striker I think he’s a wide front man. But he was calm last night, made very good runs that you appreciate standing at the front and a lot of the time he needed an earlier ball. He worked tirelessly and always showed for it, which I think is in contrast to some games earlier on. He maybe tries too many clever things at times but Charles is similar and I think that’s why it’s not an ideal pair as both are trying stuff and it doesn’t always stick. But he showed up when it really mattered and played with heart. Which was lovely to see. And I felt that at half time (think I mentioned it on here) before he’d even scored.

I am concerned about midfield without Dempsey though. Sheehan did not impress me. A few are saying Jon Dadi reckoned he’d be back for Wembley but take that with a pinch of salt as it was meant to be season ending. If he was back though…and Jerome fit…I’d fancy us a whole lot more. I’d still start Kachunga there though. He’s been there before.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 am

Dion looked "VAR" onside. The linesman was always going to give it offside as it's one of those if it is then it's a good call, if it isn't then he can't really be blamed.

Thankfully it was irrelevant.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:18 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 am
Dion looked "VAR" onside. The linesman was always going to give it offside as it's one of those if it is then it's a good call, if it isn't then he can't really be blamed.

Thankfully it was irrelevant.
Yeah only seen it once since the game and he looked level with the ball to my eyes both live and on replay. But not done the pause it thing to see. Really shouldn’t have been that close as it was a tap in if he’d ever so slightly held his position.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:29 am

One thing the ref, thankfully, didn't do was book Morley for his celebration, seen yellows for running into the crowds.

Imagine the scenes if he'd been sent off for 2 yellows.

His inconsistency was both an annoyance and a blessing.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:29 am

Bradley miscontrolled it slightly which didn’t help. I was slaughtering Dion at the time but I reckon it was onside now.

I thought Sheehan was decent second half - but we all played a lot better and we had the ball constantly, he didn’t have to do much dirty work. It’s a shame as he hasn’t been able to come back consistently after the injury and he is probably in a position where moving clubs will help him now. Hopefully Dempsey isn’t out for long, and we can get MJ back as well (though Morley has made that role his own now).

Kachunga was good first half - never hides, but perversely as we created better opportunities he got quieter - maybe because we kept trying to get Dion to score! I dunno, he’s still not first pick for me and I hope we have options in the league but for Wembley I can see him starting and Jerome coming on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:33 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:29 am
One thing the ref, thankfully, didn't do was book Morley for his celebration, seen yellows for running into the crowds.

I actually thought he reffed the game well and got big decisions correct. Trafford highly unlucky to be booked but I mean…sure…you can see why he felt he had to do something…

But apart from that I thought the referee was good. Let the game flow when he could. Let them waste time a bit too much but at least kept showing them his watch was stopped to move them on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:03 pm

Just seen Coleman’s interview. Good god. Now I’m as keen on maintaining football as a contact sport as anyone, I don’t like namby pamby stuff. A good strong tackle and a bit of muck and nettles stuff is good for the soul and the powers that be are obviously trying to turn football into a completely non physical non contact sport over time, and I hate that.

However, Coleman decides that a leg breaker tackle at knee height is ‘the games gone’. That sort of challenge would be a sending off for a long time. Even back in the 90’s you’d expect to be sent off for that. I mean the lad didn’t mistime a tackle. He flew in studs up at knee height. If he caught Bradley more square on that’s a broken leg or knee ligaments done. It’s a nailed on red and I think you are going back to 80’s at least before anyone would claim you might get away with a challenge like that and even then….

Game’s gone….ffs. Fair strong challenges are good. People flying in at knee height only trying to injure players and being sent off is also essential.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 pm
Brilliant finish from Morley, absolutely loved that goal.
Fair play to Kachunga, not a fan but he got us underway with a tidy finish. Great to get to Wembley, despite my reservations about the current competition. Loved the old 1989 footage. Was there and loved it , but not going this time.
My optimism for the final has just increased
I'll be at the playoff final if we make it. Have a win-loss record of 1-2 (Tranmere, Reading, Watford). 😁
Never been to new Wembley.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:33 am
DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:29 am

I actually thought he reffed the game well and got big decisions correct. Trafford highly unlucky to be booked but I mean…sure…you can see why he felt he had to do something…

But apart from that I thought the referee was good. Let the game flow when he could. Let them waste time a bit too much but at least kept showing them his watch was stopped to move them on.
I thought he did ok too. I mean, sure you could make a case for him whipping out more yellows for Coyle but I think they mainly fell in the sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't category. I've not actually seen any replay's of the Trafford incident, so am struggling to really make a view as to if it deserved anything, my reaction at the time, seemed to be like most people "WTF is he doing there". Don't think there was any realistic doubt over the red. Credit to the player, that he did look to try and pull out rapidly on contact on the slo-mo, rather than following though and ensuring that his ensuing red took one of ours with it - it was about the only time he looked in any sort of control of the tackle.

Kacha did ok, I don't think Dion did poorly - on another day he'd have had a couple at least. As with most, I wasn't concerned in general that we weren't on top. But strange things can occur at 0-0, and I kept having to tell myself to add 8 minutes onto the clock, which gave some comfort!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:39 pm

I may be old or tired or summat but I just watched this and almost burst into tears, which is a bit embarrassing in a newsroom

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:44 pm

There's also something oddly charming about footballers pretending to be fans and singing terrace chants to/about each other

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:15 pm

That right there is worth more than any number of superstar players......team spirit! You just can't buy that!
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:28 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... vale-test/

Getting better every day.

Scan must have been better than Evatt first said. Who'd've thunk it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:46 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:28 pm
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... vale-test/

Getting better every day.

Scan must have been better than Evatt first said. Who'd've thunk it.
That is great news. Don't think Evatt commented on the scans - just that they were going for one. Yesterday must have been precautionary for Dempsey.

Also in the article it says George Johnston is running again so hopefully he's not too far off. Which will be big.

Get them all back fit for Wembley (the ones who are eligible) will be really helpful.