Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:00 pm

Haha against a team we haven’t beaten since 93?? When they had Peter fecking shilton as manager??

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 pm
Brilliant finish from Morley, absolutely loved that goal.
Fair play to Kachunga, not a fan but he got us underway with a tidy finish. Great to get to Wembley, despite my reservations about the current competition. Loved the old 1989 footage. Was there and loved it , but not going this time.
My optimism for the final has just increased
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:51 pm
They Deffo shouldn’t be on winding up opposition players who have just given their all with ten men, and opposition fans as well. Annoyed me that, when I should just be celebrating!
The guilty don't just become animals at football matches. I've seen a few scenes at home that made me ashamed to be associated with our own lot. The multitude will get tarred for the few as ever and the club and team get an undeserved bad name.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:00 pm
Haha against a team we haven’t beaten since 93?? When they had Peter fecking shilton as manager??
It'll be a cracker, but yeah it's a tricky game. Depends what team we are able to put out by then, but as things stand I fancy us to win it. I'd fancy us to beat most sides on that pitch.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 pm

100 years since the white horse final. That was in April too.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 pm

Do they fancy letting us have a crack at the Europa Conference League if we win? Then we can win two tinpot trophies.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 pm

Dempsey stood up at the back, fingers crossed his scan went well.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 pm

JDB is in there as well - could be back for April?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 pm
JDB is in there as well - could be back for April?
Out for the season, isn't he?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:30 pm

We were miles better second half. Played through the middle more with runners and stopped the fannying around at the back and continually just passing to Bradley and hoping he does something,

We injected tempo into it. You could tell we were a bit desperate. Snatched at too many things. But still we created a ton. Felt like one of those night until….

And Kachunga was very good tonight. He’s still never a striker in a million years and he and Charles simply doesn’t work. But I thought he was the better of the two. And of course got the crucial goal. As it seemed to be written.

Accrington were clearly far too wound up for this. Half their players seemed more intent on winding our fans up than playing the game. Coleman can do one. He sent a team out to try and kick us. They weren’t even particularly good at doing that.

In fairness they did well down to ten and made it tough and I’m not that convinced we’d have won 11v11 but that doesn’t matter. If he’s trying to claim that wasn’t a red he really really needs an eye test or a sanity check.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:51 pm

Reading back through the thread and again people were a lot more panicked here than I expected. They're just a lower budget Wycombe, without the quality. There's nothing to them and after half time it was just a question of when it'd go in.

You can see why we fancy Leigh, but in general they're crap. As soon as the ref gave that first foul on Kacha Stanley had lost. If they can't get away with their usual bullshit they're not staying in a game, even with us as depleted as we were. The red was inevitable.

We made hard work of their midblock, but once they dropped lower due to fatigue they were done for. All we needed to do was be patient and keep to the patterns.

Evatt's tweak on the left offered us better retention on that side, but at no stage could they live with Bradley.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:18 am

The fear was penalties.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:27 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:18 am
The fear was penalties.
Was never going to pens, though. We were always going to score and once we did they had to come out and we were going to score at least one more.

It wasn't a close game, we just made a lot of mistakes. Poor finishes, getting timing or runs wrong, etc. Regardless, the goal was always coming.

Failing to score was maybe a 1 in 10 outcome there.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:31 am

It's easy to say that when we did.

It was on the 81st minute following 2 disallowed goals, a shot that hit the post followed by a shot saved by a mental save by the keeper which was then smashed onto the bar. If you weren't worried it was going to end 0-0 and going to penalties at that point then I think you were in a minority.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:32 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:31 am

It was on the 81st minute following 2 disallowed goals, a shot that hit the post followed by a shot saved by a mental save by the keeper which was then smashed onto the bar. If you weren't worried it was going to end 0-0 and going to penalties at that point then I think you were in a minority.
Fair enough. I was very confident with 15 or so left that we'd win by at least 2 goals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 am

Someone needs to explain to me why Trafford was booked exactly. What foul did he commit?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:21 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 am
Someone needs to explain to me why Trafford was booked exactly. What foul did he commit?
I thought the ref was cack all night. Coyle should have had three yellows before his stretcher and the home players were flying into tackles (and throwing themselves to the floor) all night long until they lost the energy.

Coleman’s a belligerent bell-end but there’s some truth to what he said about Traf’s challenge being a red or nowt; from what I saw, the truth is nowt.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 am
It's one of those where the ref felt he had to book him because the other lad was injured, but if the guy hadn't been that badly hurt it wouldn't have been a foul.

I actually think Traf made a fairly awful decision to come out in that situation. He's made a few of those recently and he's felt he had to throw himself into that to make it. Getting past the "foul or not?" stuff, it was an inexperienced player showing his age. Hopefully he learns from it, because most times he's not getting to that and he lucked out that he came out against a small, reasonably slow player. If that's their centre forward it's a goal or a red card.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:27 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:32 am
DJBlu wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:31 am

Fair enough. I was very confident with 15 or so left that we'd win by at least 2 goals.
I’ve noted before that in Parky’s first season I was often able to lose the fear that we’d concede. As a professional sports observer I’m also usually quite good at detaching emotion from intellect.

But I have to say last night felt very worrying at the time - not that we were doing things wrong, but that old superstitious fatalism. When we had that crazy 15 seconds of woodwork-wondersave-woodwork I did think it might affect us. Even Evatt and Morley said so after.

So it’s credit to the team and coaches that they didn’t panic and took fate into their own hands. And I’m glad you enjoyed it calmly, Ghost, but I wonder if those feeling the fear therefore felt a greater release when we scored? That’s the psychic seesaw, I suppose…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:27 am
So it’s credit to the team and coaches that they didn’t panic and took fate into their own hands. And I’m glad you enjoyed it calmly, Ghost, but I wonder if those feeling the fear therefore felt a greater release when we scored? That’s the psychic seesaw, I suppose…
I don't think I feel less of a thrill when we win, but you can never know how others feel. Qualia and all that.

I didn't see us missing chances as anything other than building up to the inevitable. Sometimes you miss chances and think "There's not going to be many more of those", but last night wasn't one of those. We were all over them and once we got one and they opened up it was just about how many we wanted.

I think if we are as wasteful against Plymouth we'll regret it and the fact two of our new strikers can't play might be more of an issue in that one.