Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:39 pm
I may be old or tired or summat but I just watched this and almost burst into tears, which is a bit embarrassing in a newsroom
It's bloody dusty in here too 😢
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:47 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:18 am

I watched the game in the Whites Hotel. Strange atmosphere but delighted to see young families in there excitedly booking hotels and planning their journeys. I can't go, unfortunately, this time but I think this will be a cracking day out.

Incidentally has anyone noticed how we rarely get a mention on Look North West? This morning they mentioned City's result last night and Man U's impending game. Us? Nada.
I was next door in the platinum suite. You can't beat being there but that was a fine alternative. Great atmosphere and decent beer and scran. Its odd being in a room with people waving, singing, shouting and applauding at the telly! The relief and response when Kacha's shot went in was amazing. Loved it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:44 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:39 pm
I may be old or tired or summat but I just watched this and almost burst into tears, which is a bit embarrassing in a newsroom
It's bloody dusty in here too 😢
Think the missus is cutting onions or something up in here.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:21 pm

Lovely stuff. I seem to have managed to duck onions, but it's certainly a bit gritty in the eyes, the wind must've kicked some shit up or something. Whatever Kacha might be, lazy and uninterested isn't it. Gives 100% for me, even if the result of our press at the top end isn't always recognised as something he's contributed to in large measure, because that stray ball is picked up elsewhere on the park.

Delighted for the lad and delighted at the team spirit shown.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:21 pm
Lovely stuff. I seem to have managed to duck onions, but it's certainly a bit gritty in the eyes, the wind must've kicked some shit up or something. Whatever Kacha might be, lazy and uninterested isn't it. Gives 100% for me, even if the result of our press at the top end isn't always recognised as something he's contributed to in large measure, because that stray ball is picked up elsewhere on the park.

Delighted for the lad and delighted at the team spirit shown.
When they all burst into applause at the mention of his name - man, I'm going again just thinking about it. It's been a long week.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:03 pm
Just seen Coleman’s interview. Good god. Now I’m as keen on maintaining football as a contact sport as anyone, I don’t like namby pamby stuff. A good strong tackle and a bit of muck and nettles stuff is good for the soul and the powers that be are obviously trying to turn football into a completely non physical non contact sport over time, and I hate that.

However, Coleman decides that a leg breaker tackle at knee height is ‘the games gone’. That sort of challenge would be a sending off for a long time. Even back in the 90’s you’d expect to be sent off for that. I mean the lad didn’t mistime a tackle. He flew in studs up at knee height. If he caught Bradley more square on that’s a broken leg or knee ligaments done. It’s a nailed on red and I think you are going back to 80’s at least before anyone would claim you might get away with a challenge like that and even then….

Game’s gone….ffs. Fair strong challenges are good. People flying in at knee height only trying to injure players and being sent off is also essential.
He has to try and maintain it, though. Like I said before, he knows as well as anyone that his side rely on making "tackles" like that and getting away with them - so he has to try and maintain the idea that it's legitimate play. He sends his lads out to play like that, so he won't throw them under the bus when a ref shows some backbone.

It's just another way of trying to influence refs' decisions in the future. Coleman knows full well that's a red card all day and has been for ages, but if he admits that then the next time it's an easy decision for the ref. He has to maintain the pressure for them to give his side "the benefit of the doubt."

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 am
Someone needs to explain to me why Trafford was booked exactly. What foul did he commit?
It's one of those where the ref felt he had to book him because the other lad was injured, but if the guy hadn't been that badly hurt it wouldn't have been a foul.

I actually think Traf made a fairly awful decision to come out in that situation. He's made a few of those recently and he's felt he had to throw himself into that to make it. Getting past the "foul or not?" stuff, it was an inexperienced player showing his age. Hopefully he learns from it, because most times he's not getting to that and he lucked out that he came out against a small, reasonably slow player. If that's their centre forward it's a goal or a red card.
Watched it back couple times today, no replays last night obvs.
Ball really stands up on the bounce, no forward momentum. Agree wasn't necessarily best choice and yes, once that far out it's do or die, you can see he accelerates last few steps and fair clarts their player but also gets to the ball (Toale must get a shout from him cos he ducks out the way too).
Sure you must get this Ghost - goalies meant to be sweepers as well these days,w. skills often possibly not necessarily meeting the requirements (which we saw in spades from their keeper last night).
Agree that is was a daft card but reckon the place would've exploded if Traff wasn't penalised for 'something' - though tbf, there was more of us there than them. :roll:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:36 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 am
Someone needs to explain to me why Trafford was booked exactly. What foul did he commit?
It's one of those where the ref felt he had to book him because the other lad was injured, but if the guy hadn't been that badly hurt it wouldn't have been a foul.

I actually think Traf made a fairly awful decision to come out in that situation. He's made a few of those recently and he's felt he had to throw himself into that to make it. Getting past the "foul or not?" stuff, it was an inexperienced player showing his age. Hopefully he learns from it, because most times he's not getting to that and he lucked out that he came out against a small, reasonably slow player. If that's their centre forward it's a goal or a red card.
Watched it back couple times today, no replays last night obvs.
Ball really stands up on the bounce, no forward momentum. Agree wasn't necessarily best choice and yes, once that far out it's do or die, you can see he accelerates last few steps and fair clarts their player but also gets to the ball (Toale must get a shout from him cos he ducks out the way too).
Sure you must get this Ghost - goalies meant to be sweepers as well these days,w. skills often possibly not necessarily meeting the requirements (which we saw in spades from their keeper last night).
Agree that is was a daft card but reckon the place would've exploded if Traff wasn't penalised for 'something' - though tbf, there was more of us there than them. :roll:
In fairness chatting to a few Accrington fans at the end and they were a decent bunch who all agreed it was never a red for Traf and thought their players challenge was reckless.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:59 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:36 pm
Sure you must get this Ghost - goalies meant to be sweepers as well these days
Yeah, but part of that is picking the right times to come. Most times Traf fails to get to that ball and he gives away a red or a goal - he's lucky Coyle is small and fairly slow. It was a bad decision to come for it. Once he comes he has to commit, but he should have let the defenders deal with that situation - it's outside his zone, trigger point, however our coaching staff choose to phrase that.

He's a young lad and learning all the time, so these things will happen. Hopefully with fewer hospitalisations.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:34 pm

So the trains are fecking useless for wembley then…gonna have to drive.

28 years to the day since my first visit - the Rioch years. Was convinced we would do Liverpool that day 😂

Odds a bit closer this time - does have the feel of the rioch years now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:54 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:34 pm

28 years to the day since my first visit - the Rioch years. Was convinced we would do Liverpool that day 😂

What’s wrong with the trains?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:54 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Strikes the day before, so they’ll feck about with the timetables and tell us it’s a very limited service. Cnuts!

PageyBwfc88
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by PageyBwfc88 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:01 pm

I very rarely post (read every thread at 4am in the morning and scream in my head about the right guys throwing the kettle on) coming from the other side of the world but man I’m so proud of the boys making it to Wembley and I’m so proud of the fans who deserve a chance to fill out the stadium as the away support has just been incredible this year.

That video with Evatt and Kacha made me shed a tear as we’ve all been incredibly tough on him and the fella deserves it.

I’ve never been more likely to make a horrible financial decision in trying to buy a ticket to Wembley and flying to the other side of the world but good lord it feels like the right thing to do at the moment.

It’s just incredibly nice to feel proud of our club again. It’s happening much more often these days and long May it continue. I

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:03 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:54 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Strikes the day before, so they’ll feck about with the timetables and tell us it’s a very limited service. Cnuts!
Hmm. They might put some services on for it. Know there are strikes day before which isn’t great.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:25 pm

Not from Leeds they won’t 😄

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:26 pm

PageyBwfc88 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:01 pm
I very rarely post (read every thread at 4am in the morning and scream in my head about the right guys throwing the kettle on) coming from the other side of the world but man I’m so proud of the boys making it to Wembley and I’m so proud of the fans who deserve a chance to fill out the stadium as the away support has just been incredible this year.

That video with Evatt and Kacha made me shed a tear as we’ve all been incredibly tough on him and the fella deserves it.

I’ve never been more likely to make a horrible financial decision in trying to buy a ticket to Wembley and flying to the other side of the world but good lord it feels like the right thing to do at the moment.

It’s just incredibly nice to feel proud of our club again. It’s happening much more often these days and long May it continue. I

I read this and think "this is someone who has no doubt we're going up automatically and not via the play offs (which is when one might splash the cash)."

I like it, Pagey. I like it. Nice one!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:26 pm

PageyBwfc88 wrote:

Get in touch with the Latin America fan club - I think they are over here for the final! Those lads are absolutely Bolton daft I’m made up for them they can see us at Wembley.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:44 pm

PageyBwfc88 wrote:
Great, to hear from guys who don't post much but are always around. My physical days are long done, but I'm always here in spirit. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:34 pm

PageyBwfc88 wrote:

Hope you make it for the final, mate. Fingers crossed for you.

PageyBwfc88
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by PageyBwfc88 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:54 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:26 pm
PageyBwfc88 wrote:

I read this and think "this is someone who has no doubt we're going up automatically and not via the play offs (which is when one might splash the cash)."

I like it, Pagey. I like it. Nice one!
As a Bolton fan I’ve always been a pessimist or glass half empty type of guy haha. Waking up at 4am to hope for a point in the Premier League will do that to you!