A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:57 pm
If we can't compete with Plymouth then we may may as well close the curtains & turn the lights off - thanks FV but come on we won't get out of League 1 by shopping in Aldi - surely we should be able to complete with Plymouth, I find this astonishing. If so FV are just playing at it IMO
It's not FV, well not entirely. We organise our wages very differently. We have a structure with a top end that we don't break. Plymouth have a larger footballing budget than we do generally (though not massively so), but they also pay outside their general structure to secure specific players. In this case, however, it's just a case of the board making additional money available in January - or such was the reporting from their local coverage. They lost a key players and they made sure their manager could cover it. The difference between our wage spending post-Jan looks like it's bigger than it was pre-Jan.

I don't think Evatt is short of backing, given the state of the club's finances generally. The idea we're spending the kind of money that guarantees League One success is fanciful, though.

We're not a rich club.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:02 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:42 pm
In the transfer window we needed a midfield player like Jay Matete who went to Plymouth. if Evatt is any good why not go for Matete instead of Shoretire ?, this is what worries me about Evatt.

And don't tell me we can't compete with Plymouth on fee's & salaries.
Agree. We need some units in midfield. Big units who are solid and can run.
Jay is about 5'8".
Yes but he’s more like spearing than anything we’ve got. Less about height and more about what they bring. Our midfield is hopelessly lightweight right now.
Sure, he'd be a good signing; but when you say "we need some units" he's not that. He's a Kante not a Faye.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:09 pm

The problem I have with Evatt is that it’s no use rebuilding in January. January is about a tweak here or there. 1 or two in. Not wholesale changes. And the issue with ‘oh we worked player x too hard and they aren’t used to it so are now injured’ is a symptom of January panics.

The summer is when he needs to build a team and squad that are capable of achieving promotion. We talk about all this recruitment planning but so far most windows have been poor outcomes. January in season one and two the exceptions.

But each summer has been poor. And Evatt has started off telling everyone how good we are before massive January rebuilds that were either too late or an equal failure.

Evatts style is not one we are capable of building a side to execute so that needs to change.

But so does the thinking in the summer. He should build his squad but then having done that can’t expect or even wish for big changes in January. We need a consistent squad that has key components in it. Not a change every few months to roll the dice and hope it works.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:02 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:42 pm
In the transfer window we needed a midfield player like Jay Matete who went to Plymouth. if Evatt is any good why not go for Matete instead of Shoretire ?, this is what worries me about Evatt.

And don't tell me we can't compete with Plymouth on fee's & salaries.
Agree. We need some units in midfield. Big units who are solid and can run.
Jay is about 5'8".
Yes but he’s more like spearing than anything we’ve got. Less about height and more about what they bring. Our midfield is hopelessly lightweight right now.
Sure, he'd be a good signing; but when you say "we need some units" he's not that. He's a Kante not a Faye.
I don’t want a Faye. We wouldn’t use them. But I do want some experience and physicality in there. Morley has dropped off but not as much as Dempsey has. I have no idea if it’s the off-field stuff at fault but he was absolutely appalling today. I was amazed he wasn’t hooked at HT. though in fairness he was one of a half dozen who really shouldn’t have come back out again.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:12 pm

I hadn't intended to cause political rancour. I do enjoy that Lineker was a "Tory" when he criticised Corbyn (no punishment there, oddly) and he's now a "left wing mard arse" when he points out that the government's new (completely illegal) asylum bill is being pushed using language not out of place in 30s Germany.

In both cases (criticising Corbyn and criticising the government) he's been right. Which might say he's somewhat more centrist and issue-driven than people are claiming.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:09 pm
The problem I have with Evatt is that it’s no use rebuilding in January. January is about a tweak here or there. 1 or two in. Not wholesale changes. And the issue with ‘oh we worked player x too hard and they aren’t used to it so are now injured’ is a symptom of January panics.

The summer is when he needs to build a team and squad that are capable of achieving promotion. We talk about all this recruitment planning but so far most windows have been poor outcomes. January in season one and two the exceptions.

But each summer has been poor. And Evatt has started off telling everyone how good we are before massive January rebuilds that were either too late or an equal failure.

Evatts style is not one we are capable of building a side to execute so that needs to change.

But so does the thinking in the summer. He should build his squad but then having done that can’t expect or even wish for big changes in January. We need a consistent squad that has key components in it. Not a change every few months to roll the dice and hope it works.
Again, though, we are poor. We have tried to get these guys in in the summer, but we can't afford them. Butcher is exactly what people have called for in midfield, but Plymouth got him. In summer teams are offering more money than us.

In January the competition is narrowed, precisely because nobody else is doing rebuilds. So it's this weird situation where we get the reverse of the Prem situation. At this level loads of players are looking for moves and not as many clubs need them in January, so we get value.

Markham has said as much, as has Evatt. We go out of our way to secure deals in January to avoid bidding wars in the summer, because we can't win them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:12 pm
I hadn't intended to cause political rancour. I do enjoy that Lineker was a "Tory" when he criticised Corbyn (no punishment there, oddly) and he's now a "left wing mard arse" when he points out that the government's new (completely illegal) asylum bill is being pushed using language not out of place in 30s Germany.

In both cases (criticising Corbyn and criticising the government) he's been right. Which might say he's somewhat more centrist and issue-driven than people are claiming.
I did raise an eyebrow at Lineker being called a ‘leftie’ but then it’s the mindless braindead response you get about these things from a certain sort.

He’s hardly Che Guevara is he?

Why wasn’t he chucked off for his Corbyn comments by the way? Funny that isn’t it.

Why wasn’t Alan Sugar sacked too for his Corbyn comments? Or indeed his recent criticism of Brexit?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:20 pm
Why wasn’t Alan Sugar sacked too for his Corbyn comments?
You mean the one where he photoshopped Corbyn into a picture with Hitler on Twitter, or the one at that dinner where he said Corbyn might oversee another holocaust?

Surely the BBC couldn't find those objectionable in any way, could they? Can't imagine they'd breach any form of impartiality agreement.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:09 pm

Again, though, we are poor. We have tried to get these guys in in the summer, but we can't afford them. Butcher is exactly what people have called for in midfield, but Plymouth got him. In summer teams are offering more money than us.

In January the competition is narrowed, precisely because nobody else is doing rebuilds. So it's this weird situation where we get the reverse of the Prem situation. At this level loads of players are looking for moves and not as many clubs need them in January, so we get value.

Markham has said as much, as has Evatt. We go out of our way to secure deals in January to avoid bidding wars in the summer, because we can't win them.
I simply am afraid that I don’t think Evatt knows what we need. It’s happened too many times now….

It’s poor judgement. I take that January there are some bargains to be had in January but he’s made too many misjudgements. Or Markham has. Either way I’m far from convinced by recruitment decisions.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:24 pm
I simply am afraid that I don’t think Evatt knows what we need. It’s happened too many times now….

It’s poor judgement. I take that January there are some bargains to be had in January but he’s made too many misjudgements. Or Markham has. Either way I’m far from convinced by recruitment decisions.
But we keep getting better.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:24 pm

But we keep getting better.
I’m not convinced we have to be blunt. Especially the last two windows.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:37 pm
We've lost 4 games out of the last 20. I mean we're just clearly very good. This is a bad moment, but we've lost 3 games in the last 10, compared to losing 1 in the previous 10. As slumps go a 50% win percentage in your previous 10 games isn't that bad.

Give how many we've had out it's obvious that our squad depth has improved dramatically, given the win percentages we've enjoyed despite the players we've missed.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I did raise an eyebrow at Lineker being called a ‘leftie’ but then it’s the mindless braindead response you get about these things from a certain sort.

Why wasn’t he chucked off for his Corbyn comments by the way? Funny that isn’t it.

Why wasn’t Alan Sugar sacked too for his Corbyn comments? Or indeed his recent criticism of Brexit?
You fecking arrogant jumped up 'know it all' nice person, braindead response from a certain sort - why because it differs from yours, you are such a cnut you really are.
Last edited by Bertie Wooster on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:00 pm

Alternatively, if the squad hasn't improved, then Evatt must be an absolute genius.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:01 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:37 pm
We've lost 4 games out of the last 20. I mean we're just clearly very good. This is a bad moment, but we've lost 3 games in the last 10, compared to losing 1 in the previous 10. As slumps go a 50% win percentage in your previous 10 games isn't that bad.

Give how many we've had out it's obvious that our squad depth has improved dramatically, given the win percentages we've enjoyed despite the players we've missed.
Let’s see how many we win till the end of the season. We’ve had a good run. Now we are in a slump.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:02 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

You fecking arrogant jumped up 'know it all' nice person, braindead response from a certain sort - why because it differs from yours, you are such a cnut you really are.
Cheers. Reinforced the point nicely.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:09 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm
I think it was mostly because someone defending basic human rights (which the British largely wrote, when it comes to international treaties regarding refugees) being seen as "lefty" is utterly moronic, rather than Insane just saying it because he doesn't agree.

Lineker was defending moral norms, held to by those on both the left and the right since the end of WWII.

The convention the current government proposals are very clearly in breach of was initially commissioned by that famous lefty, Winston Churchill.

This wasn't previously a left vs right issue, it was everyone vs the far right. It's only very recently that Murdoch's media groups have succeeded in making it look remotely mainstream. Hence the number of Tory rebels - especially in the Lords.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:01 pm
Let’s see how many we win till the end of the season. We’ve had a good run. Now we are in a slump.
I'd accept a 100% win rate.

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:19 pm

Tried to reply to todays game on another device three of four times but nothing happened. Could not post but I'm not going to beaten after the win today. Where to start this time ? All right being honest I'm sorry Bolton did not get the result today you wanted. This piece of crap league is a miserable place to be particularly when you're trying so hard or seem too close to get out from it. I'm not thinking of automatic promotion, not at all, this season still has a course to run and more hard work needed if we're going to make it. I hope Wanderers manage a top six finish, your fans deserve better although scores today didn't really help your cause.

McKenna played the expected team and formation, it's as dull as ditchwater but thing is it actually (seems to) works for us. I just wish he'd try something different some games but that's just the way he operates. I haven't seen highlights as yet, still need to gain further reaction on what happened today as indeed missed a part of it second half but all said I have to be pleased with the win and to go up there to a promotion rival and win 2 - 0 is highly commendable. I think we were worth the victory but still putting the pieces together after the game. Plymouth going down 3 - 0 at Barnsley was highly encouraging but could have done without any Derby win at Oxford. I thought they'd blown it actually after recent results. Not a result Bolton wanted either.

I'll catch any highlights show on TV when it's on although they only ever show about 2 - 3 minutes of action and that's being generous. It's nowhere near enough time to get a clear understanding for fans who want to see a team in action. I wish they'd cut out all (miserable) presenters and just stick with all and any action that takes place. Just uses up running time when fans could be watching something far more worthwhile. This is now about the 5th time I've tried to post a reply now, just failed again. You trying to keep rival fans of the pages or something. :whack:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:57 pm
If we can't compete with Plymouth then we may may as well close the curtains & turn the lights off - thanks FV but come on we won't get out of League 1 by shopping in Aldi - surely we should be able to complete with Plymouth, I find this astonishing. If so FV are just playing at it IMO
It's not FV, well not entirely. We organise our wages very differently. We have a structure with a top end that we don't break. Plymouth have a larger footballing budget than we do generally (though not massively so), but they also pay outside their general structure to secure specific players. In this case, however, it's just a case of the board making additional money available in January - or such was the reporting from their local coverage. They lost a key players and they made sure their manager could cover it. The difference between our wage spending post-Jan looks like it's bigger than it was pre-Jan.

I don't think Evatt is short of backing, given the state of the club's finances generally. The idea we're spending the kind of money that guarantees League One success is fanciful, though.

We're not a rich club.
I'll retract everything that I've said about Evatt then, he's been given unrealistic targets with funds / resources less than the teams he's competing against - its not achievable. I actually feel sorry for IE if the players that he wants we won't seriously compete for & our rivals will.

He's managing with his hands tied behind his back & FV should be questioned in regards to ambition etc.