A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:24 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:11 pm
So why sign him if he's not ready ?
Because we have no money and he'll be very cheap compared to other players with similar "ceilings", as folk like to say. We will have hoped he'd be up to speed by now, but we have this wonderful ability to inflict injuries on even healthy players.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:28 pm

HMX wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:23 pm
Might be in the minority but I like Adeboyejo. Strong, holds up the ball well, decent touch and dribbling for a big guy.
I'm in the same minority. Hopefully Lineker will be along to defend us shortly before the Tories try and deport us.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:30 pm

I wouldn't give a feck if Linaker, Shearer, Wright etc. never appeared on TV ever again

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:33 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:30 pm
I wouldn't give a feck if Linaker, Shearer, Wright etc. never appeared on TV ever again
That's something I can agree with.

Imagine the smug face if he's reinstated. Fecking unbearable to think about.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:09 pm
But it’s very concerning. We are dipping alarmingly. At the time when we have season defining massive games.

If we don’t make the play offs this season will be a massive failure and Evatt will need to answer why. From telling us we were in with a chance of automatics again his judgement looks poor or he’s just not able to keep a team going.

Injuries weren’t an issue and now we have the players back we look worse than we did previously. Not having that as an excuse at all.
Players don't magically get to full form having been out. The idea that "players are back" means everything should instantly work is a nonsense. You said yourself they need time and are then instantly ignoring that fact in the next paragraph.

We've been saying throughout that the injuries were likely to cause us issues and we'd have to do amazingly well to keep up with the top two. Well, we've not.

My concern, such as it is, is that run of 8 games at the end. If we beat Wednesday and win a final, woohoo. I've broader views, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm at both those games and I'll be a grumpy bastard if we get hammered - they don't define Evatt as a manager though.

Whilst this is a slump, the general trend remains up. If we do lose the next two then how we recover mentally will be the huge question mark for Evatt. I'm not sure losing during a tough run of games with a load of players not match fit is all that alarming. I mean, I hate it; but alarming? Again, meh. If we drop out of the top 6 then it does start to get more worrying. Sack him? No. 100% not. He would need a good start next season, however. If we dropped out of the play-offs and had a dodgy start to next season then plenty would want shot.
Next two games are crucial. I’d say potentially season defining and career defining for Evatt. Lose the next two and doesn’t matter what we’ve got left we’d have no momentum and it would be a hell of an effort to recover from there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:38 pm

It's about performances for me, rather than results.

If we collapse totally and get hammered in the next two then that trip to Exeter is a horrible game. They are a good side and not one you want to play with zero confidence.

So, yeah, the next two are important. I think the results in the last 8 games are what will decide it, but you can't just lift games out of context and the next two games will provide some context, as the last couple have.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:33 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Banned for speaking the truth. I’m with Gary. He’s giving a voice to those who don’t have one. An absolute legend.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Banned for speaking the truth. I’m with Gary. He’s giving a voice to those who don’t have one. An absolute legend.
Same

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:42 pm

In the transfer window we needed a midfield player like Jay Matete who went to Plymouth. if Evatt is any good why not go for Matete instead of Shoretire ?, this is what worries me about Evatt.

And don't tell me we can't compete with Plymouth on fee's & salaries.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:38 pm
It's about performances for me, rather than results.

If we collapse totally and get hammered in the next two then that trip to Exeter is a horrible game. They are a good side and not one you want to play with zero confidence.

So, yeah, the next two are important. I think the results in the last 8 games are what will decide it, but you can't just lift games out of context and the next two games will provide some context, as the last couple have.
As I’ve said I don’t think we should sack Evatt should we fail to make the top 6. But if that happens he’s definitely starting to get the stench of a Phil Neal as someone suggested to me this week. A manager who gets the club going. But doesn’t quite have what it takes to really get it moving upwards.

He gets the start of next season for me regardless but if we don’t make the play offs this season would be an unmitigated failure and he’d have to be honest with us about that and explain what he will change in himself and the club to avoid that happening again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:42 pm
In the transfer window we needed a midfield player like Jay Matete who went to Plymouth. if Evatt is any good why not go for Matete instead of Shoretire ?, this is what worries me about Evatt.

Agree. We need some units in midfield. Big units who are solid and can run. Instead we keep signing the same sort. And teams like Ipswich lick their lips and steamroller our lightweight midfield. Next season we need two such players in there. Not little technical ones who simply aren’t going to do it week in week out.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Banned for breaking his employer's guidelines. Truth or not.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:51 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

We can't compete with Plymouth on fees and salaries.

I mean that might hurt, but it's true. That's also why we couldn't get Matt Butcher in. He was happy to move back down south, but ultimately our financial offer wasn't up to what Plymouth offered him. Had it been he'd have stayed up here. Same with Tucker going to MK Dons and a number of other players we've missed.

Plymouth took Matete's wages over in full. He'd have been our highest-paid player and we've struggled to get some of those deals done due to the finances.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

'the truth' really - not just another mard arsed left wing idiot, He’s giving a voice to those who don’t have one' - really, Linaker is a very rich person, who gets paid a huge salary basically through tax payers money. By all means quit the BBC & become a leftie social media arsehole but he shouldn't be allowed to spout his own shite whilst being paid £1.35M a year by the tax payer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Agree. We need some units in midfield. Big units who are solid and can run.
Jay is about 5'8".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:54 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Banned for breaking his employer's guidelines. Truth or not.
The evidence suggests he did not. Indeed if he did then plenty of freelance bbc presenters have also done so without reprimand. And IF he’s broken their guidelines (which you can read and it’s clear he has not) then why do the BBC need to ‘agree his social media use with him’ if he’s broken their guidelines or his contract it’s a straight disciplinary matter. Not ‘let’s have a discussion about this’.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:55 pm

Today's game showed that we are somewhat behind the top 3 or 4 teams in the league, however I would be surprized and disappointed if we dont take that 6th spot.

Outclassed today but could have made it interesting if the penalty went in. Going forward, hopefully Johnston and Williams will come back and get a good run of games. We need them for the business end. This is not a game for young inexoerienced boys at this stage...ps.. i am also in the minority re Ade. Seems a good player to me. We need Cameron out there also. Hope he stays fit.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:51 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

We can't compete with Plymouth on fees and salaries.

I mean that might hurt, but it's true. That's also why we couldn't get Matt Butcher in. He was happy to move back down south, but ultimately our financial offer wasn't up to what Plymouth offered him. Had it been he'd have stayed up here. Same with Tucker going to MK Dons and a number of other players we've missed.

Plymouth took Matete's wages over in full. He'd have been our highest-paid player and we've struggled to get some of those deals done due to the finances.
If we can't compete with Plymouth then we may may as well close the curtains & turn the lights off - thanks FV but come on we won't get out of League 1 by shopping in Aldi - surely we should be able to complete with Plymouth, I find this astonishing. If so FV are just playing at it IMO

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Agree. We need some units in midfield. Big units who are solid and can run.
Jay is about 5'8".
Yes but he’s more like spearing than anything we’ve got. Less about height and more about what they bring. Our midfield is hopelessly lightweight right now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:04 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

'the truth' really - not just another mard arsed left wing idiot, He’s giving a voice to those who don’t have one' - really, Linaker is a very rich person, who gets paid a huge salary basically through tax payers money. By all means quit the BBC & become a leftie social media arsehole but he shouldn't be allowed to spout his own shite whilst being paid £1.35M a year by the tax payer.
Lots of people are paid lots of money via public funds. Why should that not entitle them to free speech? Or is that what you want. People say what the government decides they can if they are paid through any form of public funding? Sounds very much like Nazi Germany to me. Funny that.