Abide with us...v Plymouth Argyle Sunday 2nd April 3-O'clock WEMBLEY

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Abide with us...v Plymouth Argyle Sunday 2nd April 3-O'clock WEMBLEY

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:39 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:16 am
On Plymouth, it was almost as if they were consistently surprised by the spaces between their own players and behind them. "Isn't the pitch usually smaller than this, folks??"

Telling, perhaps, that Evatt brought our boys into the stadium yesterday to get over the awe that you can feel stepping into the place, and then banned phones today. Plymouth, meanwhile, were out on the pitch pre-game snapping selfies and filming the stadium. Just seems like we were all-round better prepared, and that's down to Evatt.
Yeah, very much. Seems like they weren’t much helped by getting the “inside line” from Steve Holland on pitch size and bench placement. Don’t they have Google in Devon?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:41 am

I think what yesterday shows is that we are better than the best in this division. It was a big game and we absolutely played them off the park. But what that means is that we are also far too inconsistent. We are too up and down. The argument isn’t that Plymouth have better players than us. They simply do not. They are for whatever reason just able to be more consistent in their performance. That’s something we need to address in the short term but definitely IF we don’t go up this season. I have a theory that this league rewards those sides who don’t play that well necessarily but comfortably win games. We’ve got to find a happy medium between where we are now and being more able to grind out wins week after week even if not fluent.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:52 am

Those that were caught by the onion vapours in the ground,

As I set off from the deepest darkest reaches of Wales, the radio was turned on, and the song that came on forever reminds me of my uncle. Sadly no longer with us. Other little hints, The clouds clearing and basking our fans in the sunshine whilst shadowing the Plymouth fans. The fact the Argentinan lads had traveled and it was the first game they would see. There was no bother inside or outside, a really good feeling amongst all the fans. Ivan Campo, Kevin Davies etc being there, such an outstanding atmosphere.

I took my nephew now 14 for his first Bolton game. He's always supported Bolton as his dad is a rugby fan and has no affinity to any football clubs. The memories made yesterday will forever live on with him and I hope when he hears "The Wanderer" it will take him back to today.

I genuinely couldn't give two tosses about what trophy was presented yesterday as it was almost irrelevant.

Yesterday was the cherry that was rightly placed on the cake that is now Bolton Wanderers. Wycombe to Wembley, a story that will live with me till I die. One absolutely proud Bolton fan, of the club, our players, our owners, and our magnificent fans. We're a credit to the great town of Bolton.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:07 am

P.S. If you want a giggle, watch Aaron Morley turn into a Bolton fan waiting for Dion to bury the second. :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:16 am

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:52 am

As I set off from the deepest darkest reaches of Wales, the radio was turned on, and the song that came on forever reminds me of my uncle. Sadly no longer with us. Other little hints, The clouds clearing and basking our fans in the sunshine whilst shadowing the Plymouth fans. The fact the Argentinan lads had traveled and it was the first game they would see. There was no bother inside or outside, a really good feeling amongst all the fans. Ivan Campo, Kevin Davies etc being there, such an outstanding atmosphere.

I took my nephew now 14 for his first Bolton game. He's always supported Bolton as his dad is a rugby fan and has no affinity to any football clubs. The memories made yesterday will forever live on with him and I hope when he hears "The Wanderer" it will take him back to today.

I genuinely couldn't give two tosses about what trophy was presented yesterday as it was almost irrelevant.

Yesterday was the cherry that was rightly placed on the cake that is now Bolton Wanderers. Wycombe to Wembley, a story that will live with me till I die. One absolutely proud Bolton fan, of the club, our players, our owners, and our magnificent fans. We're a credit to the great town of Bolton.
Have to say I was thinking of those lads from Argentina. What a day that must have been for them.

And yes the day was utterly perfect. Bolton fans having a good time but there to support the town and the team. There was a unity and class about it. Plymouth fans definitely more ‘day out with a packed lunch’ vibe and to be honest they might have sold more tickets but they were the quietest bunch of fans I’ve heard. Yes they didn’t have much to shout about but clearly a big Devon day out.

The sun. The atmosphere. The result. All in our favour.

If that is ‘it’ this season we have a day to remember for ever.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:23 am

DJBlu wrote:

Totally agree with the sentiments D.J.B, but I think the actual trophy means a lot to the players, especially the young ones like Bradley and Trafford. Just imagine Plymouth being up there and receiving it instead of us, how would they have felt? I was nineteen when I stood on the Town Hall square and watched Nat lift the F.A.Cup to the crowds. Believe me, the trophy was the prize. The Papa John is a bit downgraded on that, but it'll be there in the trophy cabinet at the UNIBOL and you can guarantee every player will have a photo with it. A DAY OF DAYS... :oyea:

Captain Ricardo (Bolton News) “We knew it was over but we won the trophy. That is all that matters."
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Ibahjanner
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Ibahjanner » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:49 am

Just popping on here to say congratulations for yesterday, Argyle just didn't turn up at the races which is dissapointing.
Good luck for the remainder of the season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:56 am

Ibahjanner wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:49 am
Just popping on here to say congratulations for yesterday, Argyle just didn't turn up at the races which is dissapointing.
Same pal - was a good atmosphere beforehand and nice to be playing you lot and not a scroaty club like Tranmere or summat. That one will hurt now - we know! But I’m sure you’ll get your day. Felt like redemption for last time (at Wembley) for me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:08 am

Just shows how casual reporting (that at times seems like guesswork) doesn't really tell the true tale. This from the B.B.C Sports.:

"But a suicidal pass was played to Butcher deep in his own territory and, with pressure from Charles, the ball ended up at Kachunga's feet in front of goal and the former Huddersfield Town striker side-footed the Trotters' third three minutes after the break."

Was it not a fact that Kachunga chested the ball down outside the box and ran at goal before scoring a well placed goal?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:15 am

Ibahjanner wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:49 am
Thank you. It was just our turn is all, your's will come.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:31 am

Voice hoarse today and in absolutely no mood for being productive at work. Currently binge watching/reading every bit of #content about yesterday. What an absolutely belting day it was.

Up at 7:30 (a lie-in compared to the poor sods getting coaches from the UniBol) filled with excitement for a day out at the home of football. Set off from Brommers Towers at 8:30, few miles on the M6 before joining the M42. Merge onto the M42 alongside a BWFC flag laden car. Soon realise the extent of the numbers we’re taking down as we pass numerous Bolton coaches and cars decked out with Wanderers memorabilia. Quick pit stop at Oxford services, white shirts everywhere you look, a glorious sight.

Park up in Rickmansworth just before 11 to get the Metropolitan line to Wembley Park. A family of Bolton fans at Rickmansworth station, distinguished not by any white shirts, but by Lancashire accents thoroughly out of place in this posh part of North West London. Arrive at Wembley Park after a 30 minute tube ride to a deafening chorus of “Oh Lancashire is wonderful…” reverberating around the station. Some meek shouts of “Green Army” in reply to the chants of “White Army”.

Walking down a chockablock Wembley Way meandering through a sea of white and green, even flashbacks to that terrible day in 2011 against Stoke couldn’t dampen my mood. Join the queue for the posh seats (tickets courtesy of Brommers snr). After a slight delay getting in, stuck behind a couple of Argyle fans not able to work the ticket scanner at the barriers (mustn’t be too good with technology in that corner of the country), we’re in and soon seated in the luxurious settings of Wembley hospitality. Could have done with a few pints to settle the creeping nerves, but no can do being the designated driver - alas, an open bar when you’re driving is always a tragedy.

Make our way to the seats just after 2pm, with the pitch and our end of the ground bathed in sunshine. We catch a glimpse of Campo in a box not far from us and reminisce about his worldie of a strike against Tottenham all those years ago. I think the poor guy spent more time signing shirts and taking selfies with fans than he did actually watching the match.

Couldn’t have asked for a better start to the game. When one of the smallest players on the pitch scores from a corner you begin to get a feeling it might just be your day. That feeling was cemented when Charles stroked home a second after a flowing Wanderers move. If there’s a better sight than free-flowing Bolton football on a carpet of a pitch in front of 80,000 at Wembley in the sunshine, I’d like to see it.

Just make it back in time to see Kachunga racing through on goal at the start of the second half. Lovely finish and if there’s one guy who deserved to score at Wembley, it was him. Rest of the second half an exhibition, should have been more than 4-0 but we’ll let the lads off.

Elation at the full time whistle and a truly heartwarming moment to see the embrace between Ian Evatt and Sharon Brittan in the Royal Box. Not sure we could ask for better ownership. The board deserve massive credit for sticking with Evatt after the poor start of the 20/21 season, if it wasn’t for their patience, we may never have had this day - other football clubs should probably take note.

After a few renditions of “Bolton are massive everywhere we go” in the hospitality suite, we leave Wembley at about 6:30pm to a clear sky and Wembley looking magnificent in the evening light. Decide to skip the busyness of Wembley Park station and instead take a stroll to Pinner station, reflecting on the day’s events in the setting sun.

If Carlsberg did Sundays…

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:39 am

That was absolutely fecking magic. I'm still buzzing, albeit with a sore head. To enjoy that with my brother after everything this club has been through was absolutely magic.

I even managed to be gracious in victory to the Plymouth fan I play with.

Every one of them was at least 8/10. Plymouth were bad but I really think we made them bad. I think they thought "big pitch, we've got technical players we'll be able to play at our place" and we just... didn't let them. And then cut through them like a hot knife through butter, we were absolutely electric in that first half.

So hard to pick out individuals, but the four for me were:

Kacha - by far the best game he's had in a Bolton shirt, held it up so well, his touch was perfect he took his goal perfectly, so pleased for him. "Kacha - you f*cking deserve that"

Dion - absolutely awful to play against, never ever stops running and like Kacha his sometimes suspect touch was right there. I love that little sh*t.

Connor - that boy is going right to the top. To put in that performance still full of energy on that pitch. Defended Mumba so well they had to switch him, including running away from him with the ball, came round on the cover from nowhere three or four times to kill counters. And he terrifies teams when he gets at them.

Dempsey - rightly edged motm for me. He was everywhere, great first goal, lovely bit of awareness for the second, should have scored another himself.

I was a bit unsure when I saw the line up but fair feck* he got it bang right. Delighted for Sheehan who was excellent again. Really showing what he can do with a bit of confidence and fitness built up. If he can keep that going to the end of the season he'll rightly get a new deal.

Three of four others could've made that list. All of them were fantastic. Haven't mentioned Santos and Jones but the "senior heads" (Kacha was the only starter older than 27) were both superb. Rico his imperious, magnetic headed best, Geth busy and clinical and having his moment with the heavens.

And the gaffer! What a job he has done. Not just the football, but the togetherness and spirit and connection with the town and the fans. And don't forget Aunty Shazz. I rewatched the whole thing when I got in and my onions moment was when they were up in the royal box and she hugged Geth for absolutely ages while he was looking a little emotional. Shivers.

And the crowd. Oosh. It obviously helps when you fly out of the traps but the atmosphere before during and after was amazing. Didn't see a hint of trouble, everyone was living their best life soaking up a special special day.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:40 am

DJBlu wrote:

Lovely write up DJ, and that gets my vote for the title of the DVD!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:47 am

Oh and Mayor and Cosgrove should both have gone. Awful awful tackles. Both potential career-enders. No chance of winning the ball. "I'm frustrated so I'm going to risk breaking your leg'.

Sheehan thankfully seemed all right, but the Total one was even worse and looked like ligament damage. Good than Johnno is back, but ffs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:55 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:47 am
Oh and Mayor and Cosgrove should both have gone. Awful awful tackles. Both potential career-enders. No chance of winning the ball. "I'm frustrated so I'm going to risk breaking your leg'.

Sheehan thankfully seemed all right, but the Total one was even worse and looked like ligament damage. Good than Johnno is back, but ffs.
Not seen the Mayor one back but that Cosgrove one is on social media and absolutely sickening. The definition of a red card. The referee - didn’t spoil a magic day - but was absolutely hopeless. I mean he’s seen that - has a linesman yards away and gives a yellow.

The mayor one in real time looked a nailed on red to me too.

I hope Toal is ok but he didn’t look it and one or two suggested he told them it felt like ankle ligaments and not a tweak either whilst he was signing stuff.

Felt for him. Should have been celebrating instead he’s hobbling around cos some absolute massive pudding was annoyed he was being outplayed.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:10 pm

Yeah Cosgrove can feck right off. The Mayor one isn't as bad, but it's still high, studs first and above the ankle.

Toal in a sense is lucky in that that could very easily have broken his leg. But doubt we'll be seeing him for at least a few weeks, possibly not until next year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:28 pm

The lad crippled Toal cos he got megged by Cameron Jerome 2 minutes earlier. Pure frustration at being a cart horse. Presumably cos he got booked they can’t retrospectively ban him like he deserves.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:28 pm
The lad crippled Toal cos he got megged by Cameron Jerome 2 minutes earlier. Pure frustration at being a cart horse. Presumably cos he got booked they can’t retrospectively ban him like he deserves.
A ban's not enough. What a tackle like that deserves isn't missing a game or two down the line. It's being sent off in utter disgrace at Wembley.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:43 pm

Did Plymouth really have 50% of possession as B.B.C listed. Sure didn't appear that way?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:43 pm
Sid Plymouth really have 50% of possession as B.B.C listed. Sure didn't appear that way?
Yeah. We weren't hogging the ball, 'cos when we got it, we tried to slice them open. Didn't always work, but it often did.

We tend to get the high %age possession numbers for two reasons: either we're winning but trying to tease the opponents out; or we're losing and they're sitting deep while we search for solutions. It wasn't like that yesterday because whenever we looked up we had acres to run into.

Flanners compared their back three to when we had Beevers/Wheater/Dervite - fine if you sit compact, but as soon as you run at them or especially pull them about they looked very suspect. I couldn't quite believe how *bad* Plymouth's back three and midfield "screen" (sic) were yesterday - the much-halooe'd Matete was hooked at half-time, and his replacement Matt Butcher wasn't any better. I'm sure the video will be watched by every opponent Argyle face from now on. Whether anyone else will be as effective as us remains to be seen, but good God they were rank. Watch our second goal – a pleasure to do so - and try to work out what was going on in their centre-backs' minds. Panic? Monkeys playing cymbals?