A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:00 am
Hard to believe the club have put this out via an official channel.

https://twitter.com/bradmcg8/status/164 ... o4TppbHkNQ
Improved version...

https://twitter.com/markygasman/status/ ... 52834?s=20

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:28 pm

I mean we've obviously got away with one there :lol:

The test is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity and so the reason keepers are often sent off for them it's because it's quite a lot easier to score into an empty net! If Traff pulls out of that he's got to roll it into an empty net.

MJ might get back to maybe block it but he's not near enough to stop a shot with no keeper which is obviously a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I'd have been apoplectic if that had been the other way around!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:01 pm
Mbete out for 4-6 weeks with a knee injury back at City for treatment.

Unlikely that Toal or Santos can play again unless we get to the play offs themselves according to Evatt.

So the back three we played today need wrapping up in cotton wool.
I’m on the way back from my stag do so just catching up on Bolton, but this is quite a poor development. So we started MJ, Jones and Johnston yesterday then? How did MJ do?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:04 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Unlikely that Toal or Santos can play again unless we get to the play offs themselves according to Evatt.

I’m on the way back from my stag do so just catching up on Bolton, but this is quite a poor development. So we started MJ, Jones and Johnston yesterday then? How did MJ do?
Correct, MJ was the middle centre-back with Jones to the right of him and Johnston to the left. He was okay considering the circumstances - can't complain about a clean sheet :mrgreen: - however he's being asked to do a job that he's entirely unsuited to. He's a slow player being asked to play a high line and defend 1v1 in space. He went in rashly a couple of times and could have ended up with two bookings with a different referee in charge.

Unfortunately we just have to hope we can grind out a few more decent results and hobble into the playoffs, before getting Rico and/or Toal back in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:26 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:04 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Correct, MJ was the middle centre-back with Jones to the right of him and Johnston to the left. He was okay considering the circumstances - can't complain about a clean sheet :mrgreen: - however he's being asked to do a job that he's entirely unsuited to. He's a slow player being asked to play a high line and defend 1v1 in space. He went in rashly a couple of times and could have ended up with two bookings with a different referee in charge.

Unfortunately we just have to hope we can grind out a few more decent results and hobble into the playoffs, before getting Rico and/or Toal back in.
Although I’d not be that keen against a decent team with MJ and space in behind I don’t think he’s that slow for a centre half. Obviously miles short of Rico’s recovery speed like miles short but still he’s not a lump.

My bigger worry is defending the box. Burton will seriously test this and he struggled a couple of times and obviously doesn’t helped that he’s flanked by two relatively small centre backs. It’s physicality we miss most. If we had Aimson to play in there I reckon wed coast to a play off place. It’s just a bit of bad luck that we’ve lost four in the same position.