Once were Wanderers...V Burton away Tues 18th Apr. 7-45

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Once were Wanderers...V Burton away Tues 18th Apr. 7-45

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:39 pm

And the one good thing FIFA got on to with all their dicking about has disappeared for feck knows why.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:06 am

Just back. Quite pleased with that as I'd have taken a point beforehand. Recent away performances at Weds, Exeter and Oxford have been half decent but without working their keeper. Tonight we created actual chances for once but couldn't take them. Either Dion's good effort or MJs calamitous one in the first half go in and we win at a canter.

A few poor decisions and choices on the final ball need to be ironed out before any realistic prospect of us making and then winning the play offs.

Good to see Randell get a full 90 tonight. He did well.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:14 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:23 pm
I'm betting their manager might be a bit more relieved at a point than ours.
Yes, I’d expect so, given his players were allegedly timewasting and unarguably taking the ball to the corner flag.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:18 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:57 pm
We've got the best defence in the league, the problem we have is being clinical up top.
Yep. With one Wembley-sized exception, we haven’t scored more than one since February - eight league games now. There is much to applaud and there are many reasons to be cheerful, but free-scoring we ain’t.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:40 pm

Excellent point which is more than we usually get when we go there. No complaints from me. The side played well on the pitch on which the top sides of the league have been turned over on. Trafford .. oh how lucky we are to have him. What a keeper! We have helped him develop just as much as he has helped us keep clean sheets because we don't score many goals. Thomasson, despite the misses, added a lot of pace and aggression to the midfield which was good to see. Now we have to take care of business in the games at home. We are in a great position to be in the top 6 at the end of the season.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:18 am
Mar wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:57 pm
We've got the best defence in the league, the problem we have is being clinical up top.
Yep. With one Wembley-sized exception, we haven’t scored more than one since February - eight league games now. There is much to applaud and there are many reasons to be cheerful, but free-scoring we ain’t.
I suspect this will be our undoing should we be fighting in the play offs.
We had a great game against Plymouth but this is very much the exception and not the rule.

We need one of the newbies to come good. Vic looks like he may end up being that man but I feel he's yet to really get going. As for the rest, there's quality there just not at the point of being clinical, which seemed the opposite at the tail end of last season.