Once were Wanderers...V Burton away Tues 18th Apr. 7-45

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Once were Wanderers...V Burton away Tues 18th Apr. 7-45

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:44 pm

It's the truth; back in the 19th century, the Brewers were called Burton Wanderers. The sheer audacity of it. :shock:

Fortunately, it didn't last long and now it's all high-flying Pirelli stuff. Even though they're down the ladder a bit, three wins and a draw out of five means we need to be wide-awake come Tuesday, and be prepared for a bit of rough stuff. Hope Mr Evatt has a word about yellow cards or we get a ref who isn't card-happy. So, early start and on with the motley. Will the real Wanderers please stand up... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Once were Wanderers...V Burton away Tues 18th Apr. 7-45

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:55 pm

At first I was afraid, I was petrified...

0-1 Wanderers.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:23 am

He's the weird c*nt who couldn't wait to get us back to their place after we scored a mega late winner at ours.

It'll be tasty.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:28 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:23 am
He's the weird c*nt who couldn't wait to get us back to their place after we scored a mega late winner at ours.

It'll be tasty.
Yes that's the blighter. He drinks that yellow stuff in tins, he's an idiot!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:10 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:28 am

It'll be tasty.
It surely won't be a teddy-bear's picnic, more a pub fight. The only way to combat a side who want to bully is to score goals. Our injury totally continue to mount with Mbete declared out for the season and the walking wounded on standby. M.J earned his spurs on Saturday, but we have to hope Santos or Toal can pull through soon. Mainly we need the front guys to get the ball in the net. Defence heroics are good, but one goal leads are not good for the nerves. We need a return to winning with good football.
Oh, and hoping to catch the opposition offside is not the answer against long throws and wallop balls.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

It'll be tasty.
Then we'd better hope there's a neighborhood watch system!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

It'll be tasty.
Then we'd better hope there's a neighborhood watch system!
I expect he drives a Renault Mégane.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:49 pm

Along with Morecambe biggest shithouses in league one. Expect instructions to the ground staff to make sure the pitch is cut up, horrible and they will just play for set pieces. Do the dirty stuff well and we should have enough, but we haven’t as yet. You ideally play this game early doors as they seem to be one of these sides who dig out enough points to survive after Christmas. And yeah remember their boss after we beat them at home saying they couldn’t wait to get us back to theirs etc, the fecking no mark cock. Suspect we will see the refereeing as evening itself out from Saturday - not expecting much there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:49 pm
Along with Morecambe biggest shithouses in league one. Expect instructions to the ground staff to make sure the pitch is cut up, horrible and they will just play for set pieces. Do the dirty stuff well and we should have enough, but we haven’t as yet. You ideally play this game early doors as they seem to be one of these sides who dig out enough points to survive after Christmas. And yeah remember their boss after we beat them at home saying they couldn’t wait to get us back to theirs etc, the fecking no mark cock. Suspect we will see the refereeing as evening itself out from Saturday - not expecting much there.
All this. It’s going to be a horrible battle. I don’t really fancy us much to be honest. If we can nudge ahead we might nick a point and that would be a good result.

Interesting to see how Evatt sets up. Charles took a knock so might get a rest. Jerome and Victor against his former club? Height? Or risk Charles because we look poor without him.

Feels like a Thomason game. Maybe even Shoretire up front with one of the big lads to hit them on the break. But that’s a risk. If he could reprise his Charlton performance again that would be nice. He’s not a number ten though and absolutely not in a game like this.

If he was fit I’d fancy Lee to play in this one. Just for experience.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:00 pm

Thought I’d have a quick check to see we weren’t using old tropes. Burton have after all changed manager from last season.

We’re not. Burton have the division’s highest ratio of xG from set pieces compared to open play; on Opta’s style grid the only side more “fast and direct” is Accy. Hmm.

The flip of the first stat is that they don’t create much in open play, so we could help ourselves by trying to minimise set pieces. The second stat is a worry. MJ isn't quite a treacle-runner but our style is unusually reliant on speedy defenders going 1v1. We could limit the forward buccaneering of the outside centre-backs, but that limits overloads and opportunities. I suspect we need our midfielders to be adventurous in their passing, try to find the gaps between and behind - without going overly long ourselves. Remember if we have the ball, they can’t launch it. So - particularly if we go 1-0 up (please) - there may be some of the lateral keep-ball that worries some of us. Get whatever bus takes you toward the destination….

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:00 pm
Thought I’d have a quick check to see we weren’t using old tropes. Burton have after all changed manager from last season.

We’re not. Burton have the division’s highest ratio of xG from set pieces compared to open play; on Opta’s style grid the only side more “fast and direct” is Accy. Hmm.

The flip of the first stat is that they don’t create much in open play, so we could help ourselves by trying to minimise set pieces. The second stat is a worry. MJ isn't quite a treacle-runner but our style is unusually reliant on speedy defenders going 1v1. We could limit the forward buccaneering of the outside centre-backs, but that limits overloads and opportunities. I suspect we need our midfielders to be adventurous in their passing, try to find the gaps between and behind - without going overly long ourselves. Remember if we have the ball, they can’t launch it. So - particularly if we go 1-0 up (please) - there may be some of the lateral keep-ball that worries some of us. Get whatever bus takes you toward the destination….
They are managed by that Dino Maamria so the idea they are doing something beyond just lumping it in there didn’t really cross my mind.

IF we can manage their physicality and not give anything sloppy away then I think we’ve got a chance and I agree that keeping the ball in these games is critical…but we need a threat. Keeping it and going sideways won’t cut it as eventually they will win some set pieces and will carry a threat.

Get a lead and try and hit them on the break for me, it’s on paper our toughest game left. Our record there is obviously poor and it feels like the blueprint game that an Evatt side loses. Hopefully as we are forced to dig in a bit more by the nature of our injuries we are a bit more mentally prepared for the game being a horrible physical battle than maybe we have been historically.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:41 pm
I agree that keeping the ball in these games is critical…but we need a threat. Keeping it and going sideways won’t cut it as eventually they will win some set pieces and will carry a threat.

Get a lead and try and hit them on the break
I see what you’re saying. And for the record I’m not suggesting we tippy-tappy-tire them out; (although that has worked plenty in the past, it’s not really our current style.

What I’m suggesting is horses for courses. Their plan will be: get ball, launch ball, win set piece, score. If we can stop them getting the ball, the rest doesn’t happen. We are hugely less likely to give away free kicks is we have the ball. Especially if we are in front.

I dunno, it’s a gamble. As I say I don’t think we will flood men forward with abandon as that leaves us open to the big boot. We have to find different ways to win. Tell you what helps - the sort of mental fortitude, little praised, that gets you 20 clean sheets in a season, including while being well under the cosh in the last two away games. If I were part of that team I’d be offended to be accused of lacking guts. Maybe Evatt can use that. He certainly keeps coming up with answers.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:42 pm

I think we're all pretty much convinced that the four main injury worries would without doubt be in our first choice team if fit. Aimson, maybe,maybe not? That Evatt manages to keep us in contention regardless is much to his credit. Even our very own forum angel of doom has to admit we're doing good considering. Burton are more likely to make the game Breightmet rather than Barcelona, but atttitude and effort should get us there, scruffily or otherwise.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:59 pm

Just been stuck on the M6 northbound for several hours and the thought of driving over to Burton on Tuesday hardly fills me with glee. Last season we were bullied off the park and out of the game inside 20 minutes or so. Aimson played that night, presumably for Santos(?) and did nowt, so can we do any worse with MJ under aerial bombardment?

They've had 2 good home wins against strong opposition on the bounce, so neither team or fans will be taking them lightly. Big cojones needed to get owt. Let's see.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:08 pm

A local away game for me so I’ve decided to go, much more in hope than expectation of three points. I went to this fixture last season (a 3-1 loss) and my god we were awful.

I reckon Abedoyejo will partner Nlundulu up front due to Charles’ knee issue and I’m with Insane, thinking it best we go with Thomason to fight fire with fire a bit. Not sure this is a game for Sheehan.

I’d be happy with a point.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:30 pm

I’d be starting Jerome in this one for experience and nous on defending set pieces. Playing tippy tappy to tire them out sounds great but it’s doubtless a fecking cabbage patch - I’ve not seen many as bad as their pitch last season and it was about this stage we played there then.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:56 am

Expecting nowt from this. I may not even watch it for the sake of maintaining a healthy blood pressure
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:05 am

Thankfully, no further injuries to report and Evatt sounding optimistically positive. It is, of course, down as much to how the Brewers shape up, but we are good enough to get the points, and the pitch is the same for both sides, even if Burton are more used to playing "down on the farm" than us. It's nervy times right now, but a further three points plus our game in hand won't do us any harm. :oyea:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:26 pm

They will be very confident given their recent scalp(s). Hopefully overconfident especially since we seem to always struggle there. No team however is invincible and Evatt and team must work out a way to beat them at their own game. Be resolute as we have been since Johnston came back in. We will get an opportunity or 2 over the 90 mins. Lets take them when we get them. We will not lie down and play dead.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:39 am

Team instructions, just play the video of their manager claiming we're lucky and that he can't wait until we go to their place. Then rightly go and smash them 3 nil.