A Shrewd Idea...Home v Shrewsbury Sat 22nd April 3'O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: A Shrewd Idea...Home v Shrewsbury Sat 22nd April 3'O'clock.

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:02 pm

Interesting end to the season coming up. Top four fighting for autos then the next three fighting for the play offs.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:05 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:02 pm
Interesting end to the season coming up. Top four fighting for autos then the next three fighting for the play offs.
Aye. Barnsley unlikely to make it but they could help themselves by winning on Tuesday - at home to Ipswich...
Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 17.03.35.png
Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 17.03.35.png (64.74 KiB) Viewed 739 times

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:09 pm

Before his horror injury I'd have happily let Sheehan go, too lightweight, anonymous most of the time. now he's one of our best players, so much time on the ball, completely running the show. Funny old game.

Great performance. Should have been at least 3-0. MJ and Bradley were superb again. Decent game from Dempsey.

Victor looks an awful signing, let's hope he can turn it around.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:14 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:09 pm
Before his horror injury I'd have happily let Sheehan go, too lightweight, anonymous most of the time. now he's one of our best players, so much time on the ball, completely running the show. Funny old game.

Great performance. Should have been at least 3-0. MJ and Bradley were superb again. Decent game from Dempsey.

Ha yeah, funny how it goes. I'd still say he's far too one-footed, and thus easier to close down - maybe we can work on that as we clearly have with Morley.

Ade worries me a bit - he's making a lot of the same runs as Dion. Perhaps he hasn't often played in a two up top, which isn't nearly as common as it used to be. He's spent a lot of his career wide in a three.

Hats off to MJ. What a lad. But they all contributed yet again to another clean sheet.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:15 pm

If Stanley on Tues have designs on staying up they surely can't park the bus.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:18 pm

Spartan2 wrote:

I think Sheehan might have had a metaphorical kick up the ass at HT...was excellent for the 20 mins he was on in second half.

1-0 is always nervy and like you say at least 3-0 would have felt more reasonable, but they couldn't have grumbled had it been 6.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:14 pm
Spartan2 wrote:

Ha yeah, funny how it goes. I'd still say he's far too one-footed, and thus easier to close down - maybe we can work on that as we clearly have with Morley.

Ade worries me a bit - he's making a lot of the same runs as Dion. Perhaps he hasn't often played in a two up top, which isn't nearly as common as it used to be. He's spent a lot of his career wide in a three.

Hats off to MJ. What a lad. But they all contributed yet again to another clean sheet.
Yeah, the Vic bit, there were a few occasions where a small pocket handkerchief would have covered the space between him and Dion.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:24 pm

I really hope it's Ipswich and Sheffield in the autos. I just feel they've got a bit too much for us. The rest is anybody's on the day.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:27 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:15 pm
If Stanley on Tues have designs on staying up they surely can't park the bus.
Yeah you'd think so, but look at their fixtures and the table. After us they finish by hosting Cambridge and then visit Oxford.
Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 17.25.44.png
Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 17.25.44.png (57.33 KiB) Viewed 714 times
So yeah, while they need all the points they can get, they might try to stifle us and get the players/fans nervous, with a plan to look for set pieces and maybe come at us late on. Even a point might not be a bad return for them if they can then win their two six-pointers.

EDIT but what doesn't help them is that both Cambridge and Oxford are yet to play FGR... :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:33 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:24 pm
I really hope it's Ipswich and Sheffield in the autos. I just feel they've got a bit too much for us. The rest is anybody's on the day.
I dunno. Obviously Wembley would give us a big psychological advantage over Plymouth and the two league games were close with them, while Ipswich and Wednesday both looked good at ours. I just feel that Wednesday might not handle dropping into the playoffs very well. They failed there last year and looked nailed-on for autos for so long.

But that might just be the optimism beating.... :D

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:42 pm

I think I'm just scared of Sheffield Wednesday 🫣 I can't remember the last time we beat them.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:50 pm

I think that with Ade he needs a full pre-season with us for the coaching team to work on. It's obvious that him and Dion are the first choice strike team so they need time to work together. Now if we give JDB a new contract the I reckon Ade becomes Dion"s back up. But anything could happen between now and next season.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:53 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:42 pm
I think I'm just scared of Sheffield Wednesday 🫣 I can't remember the last time we beat them.
:D
It was 14 Oct 2017 - after we'd got two points from our first nine games after promotion :oops:

Ameobi put us in front after 10 minutes, a own goal doubled our lead after the hour but soon after some sexy lad called Lee pulled a goal back for them.

Team that day:
Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Beevers, Taylor; Henry, Pratley; Armstrong (Morais 60), Vela (Cullen 84), Ameobi (Noone 72); Madine.
Subs not used: Howard, Burke, Robinson, Le Fondre.
Attendance: 17,967 – fewer than for any of our last four home games back in the here and now.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:03 pm

Still in and amongst it. That's all that matters, keep on trucking.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:13 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:03 pm
Still in and amongst it. That's all that matters, keep on trucking.
Hopefully all clearer, this time next week! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:14 pm

Second half was a huge improvement mainly because we started to cross the ball into the box and have shots.

It’s a nonsense to suggest that playing in front of a team is how to break them down. Get down the sides and put it in the mixer. You don’t need 6ft giants for that to work. Bruce Rioch showed that. Decent delivery with them facing their own goal is hard to defend.

It was a very good second half performance if at times a little frantic but again the only downside is a litany of chances missed. Charles missed a great one and Adeboyejo who was utterly hopeless today also missed a sitter.

Not seen the disallowed goal again but I have no idea what it was disallowed for. Looked to me like the defender just misread the flight of the cross.

Result ultimately all that matters but please let’s not start again how we did first half it just makes these games harder than need be. Shrewsbury are injury ravaged and thus couldn’t really change the game off the bench much but it was still nervy at times.

Man of the match would be MJ for me. A towering and faultless performance at centre half. Looks a complete natural there.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:14 pm

It’s a nonsense to suggest that playing in front of a team is how to break them down. Get down the sides and put it in the mixer. You don’t need 6ft giants for that to work. Bruce Rioch showed that. Decent delivery with them facing their own goal is hard to defend.
Pretty much my thoughts when I heard Evatts post match interview.

Agreed on MJ. He was excellent today.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:28 pm

Disallowed goal, if Dion had kept his hands to himself would've stood.

MJ must be making Evatt sleep easier at night. An absolute model professional. It feels like when Aimson came in to cover.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
It’s a nonsense to suggest that playing in front of a team is how to break them down.
I'm not sure anyone ever said the best way to get past teams is to stay in front of them. The first half was underwhelming for exactly that reason. The question is whether to pass through them, as we did, or Get it in The Mixer, which we didn't.

Evatt somewhat defended the first-half tactics but didn't even try to deny that he told them at half-time to change it up a bit.

Anyway. Dion's disallowed goal was tweeted here, still seems to be undeleted. Defender just gets his body in front but it's not a foul for me, Clive.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
It’s a nonsense to suggest that playing in front of a team is how to break them down.
I'm not sure anyone ever said the best way to get past teams is to stay in front of them. The first half was underwhelming for exactly that reason. The question is whether to pass through them, as we did, or Get it in The Mixer, which we didn't.

Anyway. Dion's disallowed goal was tweeted here, still seems to be undeleted. Defender just gets his body in front but it's not a foul for me, Clive.
Second half we did exactly what I asked for. Get behind them down the sides and get it in the box. First half we worked positions to do that then the players turned round and we went nowhere. Evatts whole ‘we tired them out’ I’m just not buying I’m afraid. I watched him first half. He was going mental on the touch line.

We needed to get those positions first half and put it in the box.

All’s well that ends well though.

And looking at that I find it hard to see where the foul is. Unlucky there Charles. As he was with the one off the bar.

Who plays up front with Dion Tuesday in your view?