A Shrewd Idea...Home v Shrewsbury Sat 22nd April 3'O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Shrewd Idea...Home v Shrewsbury Sat 22nd April 3'O'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:47 pm

Yeah, I do think Evatt is hiding it a little with those quotes. But I think he's half right in that you can tire teams out - IF you keep asking them different questions. Sometimes pull them wide, sometimes shoot from distance, sometimes try to thread it, sometimes play the one-twos. That was the first-half frustration - too predictable by half.

We switched it up a lot more after the break – out some crosses in but also had the confidence to try the trickier passes, got a number of one-on-ones through the middle, and notably shot from distance. Great goal. I'll happily take it.

Seventh 1-0 win of the league season - three in the last five. Better than many alternative scorelines, but we are living on our nerves somewhat. We need to start scoring second goals.

So Tuesday - if he's fit enough, I'd still start Ade. He needs to build a partnership with Dion and it won't happen from the bench.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:47 pm
Yeah, I do think Evatt is hiding it a little with those quotes. But I think he's half right in that you can tire teams out - IF you keep asking them different questions. Sometimes pull them wide, sometimes shoot from distance, sometimes try to thread it, sometimes play the one-twos. That was the first-half frustration - too predictable by half.

We switched it up a lot more after the break – out some crosses in but also had the confidence to try the trickier passes, got a number of one-on-ones through the middle, and notably shot from distance. Great goal. I'll happily take it.

Seventh 1-0 win of the league season - three in the last five. Better than many alternative scorelines, but we are living on our nerves somewhat. We need to start scoring second goals.

So Tuesday - if he's fit enough, I'd still start Ade. He needs to build a partnership with Dion and it won't happen from the bench.
Hmm. I wouldn’t. I think Nlundulu or Kachunga. But I do take the view about a partnership. I just struggle with Victor. He just looks like a fish out of water.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:53 pm

Hmm. I wouldn’t. I think Nlundulu or Kachunga. But I do take the view about a partnership. I just struggle with Victor. He just looks like a fish out of water.
You've also struggled with Kachunga (repeatedly) and Nlundulu (recently). "Not a footballer", I believe was the phrase used.

Interesting that you're now advocating for either over Adeboyejo. What's the opposite of recency bias?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:43 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:53 pm

You've also struggled with Kachunga (repeatedly) and Nlundulu (recently). "Not a footballer", I believe was the phrase used.

Interesting that you're now advocating for either over Adeboyejo. What's the opposite of recency bias?
I don’t think any of them are very good tbh. If he was fit it would be Bod every time.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:59 pm

That shot of Dions that crashed against the bar would have been some goal. What a strike!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:00 pm

Steve Cotterill stressing mightily that injuries are their big problem. Are they any worse off than us? Four/five first teamers out for lengthy spells. I know Cotterill is a respected manager and seems fair, but we had the marzipan and icing as well as the cake in a creditable win against team we could have slipped up against and they had three extra defenders in the goalposts and a ref.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:02 pm

Interesting about the forward partnership. I think he needs to pick either Vic or Dan and stick with it. Bring them off early if necessary, but agree about the consistent partnership.
Lovely goal by Sheehan, thought Dempsey looked more likely but who cares. Bradley was very good, MJ bossed it, never looked troubled. Dion unlucky.
First half today was very frustrating. Evatt was encouraging that sideways nonsense by constantly urging patience.
Some players I hadn't seen before didn't impress, namely R Williams and Adeboyejo. RW just kept turning backwards. Looks like a player who doesn't believe in himself. Vic was trying but should've been subbed earlier.
The sort of awkward game that teams often fail to win though, so every credit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:03 pm

Evatt on MJ ““He’s getting more confident every game playing in that role, he wants to call himself Maldini……….we’re against that.”

:lol: :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:15 am

^^ Yeah, I think whilst we might be critical of our first half prowess going forwards and 1-0 is always going to keep you nervous about a possible breakaway, with wonderful hindsight, Traff didn't have to make a save that I recall...testament to our defence, who were almost on a day off (Shrews had near zero attacking intent) but did what they needed to effectively, for another clean sheet.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:25 am

Another 1-0…but yeah not convinced on second viewing Dion did much wrong for the disallowed one, a fine piece of acting got that chalked off. Shame the front two couldn’t do better on the one v ones - but the keeper did well. Another keeper getting plaudits against us!

Be nice to put teams to bed but the defence was non on especially MJ Maldini.

Sheehan - offer the deal now?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:35 am

You're right, Trafford didn't have to make a save as they had zero shots on target.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:02 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:25 am
Another 1-0…but yeah not convinced on second viewing Dion did much wrong for the disallowed one, a fine piece of acting got that chalked off. Shame the front two couldn’t do better on the one v ones - but the keeper did well. Another keeper getting plaudits against us!

Be nice to put teams to bed but the defence was non on especially MJ Maldini.

Sheehan - offer the deal now?
Maybe not a popular view. I'm still not sure on Sheehan. The Sheehan I saw first 10 minutes yesterday. Maybe. The one I saw after HT. Certainly. The one that I saw between the two, no, for me.

After HT, he looked top class. Found pockets all over, was heavily involved in the game and that he scored a beaut was a cherry on top. I do wonder whether at HT he was told not to save his legs as he was getting 20 mins, so go for it...

But by the same token, I had him as one of the "missing men" as the game drifted before HT...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:45 am

Dion disallowed goal, he has his left arm on the defenders shoulder. Enough to send the diving prick down? No. Enough to make the ref think it's a push, probably.

dion1.png
dion1.png (987.83 KiB) Viewed 955 times
dion2.png
dion2.png (495.42 KiB) Viewed 955 times

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:46 am

After the amount of stick we got for Trafford taking out a player through on goal with MJ covering, why has nothing more been said about the tackle when Kacha finally got through on goal?

Not even a yellow card was produced.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:00 am

Yeah, thought the ref made a couple of odd calls.

Disallowed goal, I'd have been really pissed at, had we not bagged the points. I guess from when the ref was stood, it might have been viewed as a bigger shove than other angles which have it in the "owt and nowt" ca5egory for me..

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:17 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:46 am
After the amount of stick we got for Trafford taking out a player through on goal with MJ covering, why has nothing more been said about the tackle when Kacha finally got through on goal?

Not even a yellow card was produced.
Felt like another wembley ie ref couldn’t be arsed with the paperwork as it wasn’t going to affect the result. More likely the refs are fecking horrendously useless at this level!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Second half, I thought we were decent. Created plenty of opportunities. Hit the woodwork 3 times was it?! Good goal disallowed, one on one that the keeper saved with his grid..

Did enough to win that game three times over, but it’s concerning that Shrewsbury were still in the game in added time. We have to do something about that.

Dempsey was excellent first half, Sheehan was excellent second half. Morley had one of the easiest games of his life and made things happen in his quarter back role.

We need to find a killer instinct, but other than that, a day of positives
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:52 pm
Dire. Dire. Dire. Dire. A half of mind numbing awful football. Sideways passing with 11 static lumps who have absolutely no idea what to do to break a side down.
But it’s shocking. Absolutely shocking.

What's that you were saying about strongest eleven again...? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:33 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:28 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dire. Dire. Dire. Dire. A half of mind numbing awful football. Sideways passing with 11 static lumps who have absolutely no idea what to do to break a side down.

The issue was the lack of intensity and effort to get behind Shrewsbury but we fixed that second half.

If you want me to be honest I think the possession ideal has held us back at times this season. We look a better team when we start taking risks playing forward more and upping the tempo of games. I get we can't do that all the time but for me Shrewsbury would have been much easier if we'd played with some tempo earlier on and really stretched them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:33 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:28 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

The issue was the lack of intensity and effort to get behind Shrewsbury but we fixed that second half.

If you want me to be honest I think the possession ideal has held us back at times this season. We look a better team when we start taking risks playing forward more and upping the tempo of games. I get we can't do that all the time but for me Shrewsbury would have been much easier if we'd played with some tempo earlier on and really stretched them.
Yeah, I think that was the problem, some of the bits I was disappointed with prior to HT, we fixed, without getting the rewards we probably deserved. Second half, Randy got past his man a few times, Sheehan found "holes" all over, which meant that other holes were created for Bradley, Demps, Morley and Dion - it all worked a lot better. I think there has to be credit for the coaching team for forcing that at HT, I'm sometimes a little unsure whether that's part of the "Plan" - move them all about first half, go at them second...