Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 15, 2023 3:12 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 3:00 pm
I'd be quite surprised if John is still with us at the start of next season. Evatt clearly doesn't intend for him to be a regular starter, and you think the player would keen to be first choice somewhere at this stage of his career. The main barrier to him leaving could be the wages he's on.
That was the issue last summer. Wanted to shift him, but couldn't get it done. I won't be surprised either way. I think we'd like him to move on, but if he is still here next season then it is what it is.

Ideally we'll see new blood in down both flanks and all through the spine.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 15, 2023 3:30 pm

Let's hope Rob and Ryan step in!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 15, 2023 5:07 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 3:00 pm
I'd be quite surprised if John is still with us at the start of next season. Evatt clearly doesn't intend for him to be a regular starter, and you think the player would keen to be first choice somewhere at this stage of his career. The main barrier to him leaving could be the wages he's on.
Which is why I applauded when Wrexham were promoted.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 16, 2023 8:10 am

Bit of a blow: per The Athletic, David Woodfine, Liverpool’s director of loan management, “has informed Liverpool about his decision to exit in search of a fresh challenge.”

Obviously what we’ve done for Bradley and Traf is common knowledge but personal relationships are important at that level so we’ll have to woo the new person. If it’s John Aldridge we’re knackered… (it won’t be John Aldridge)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 16, 2023 10:45 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:31 pm
Layton Orient aren’t taking up Sadlier so he will need shifting.
They're clearly mad though. This message was brought to you in direct contravention of Prufrock's blood pressure:
Veteran midfielder Darren Pratley, 38, is one of 10 players offered new deals
More pertinently, they've offered goalkeeper Vigouroux – he of the clean sheets (and, I notice, the division's second-highest shot-saving ratio, of 75.6%) - a new contract, along with a bunch of others, namely goalkeeper Rhys Byrne, defenders Omar Beckles, Jordan Brown, Harrison Sodje, Jayden Sweeney and Dan Happe, and forwards Paul Smyth and Daniel Nkrumah. I don't know any of them from a hole in the wall, but some folk here might.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue May 16, 2023 11:07 am

Paul Smyth has a knack for spectacular goals, couldn't tell you anything about the others though.

There already seems to be a plethora of good options available even from the non-retained lists and that's before looking at potential loan options or contracted players, I'm not particularly worried about this summer's recruitment.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 16, 2023 11:12 am

Right. We need to go up now. I can't face the prospect of a last minute D-Pratz winner next year to keep us down on the last day.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 16, 2023 11:22 am

jmjhb wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:07 am
Paul Smyth has a knack for spectacular goals, couldn't tell you anything about the others though.

There already seems to be a plethora of good options available even from the non-retained lists and that's before looking at potential loan options or contracted players, I'm not particularly worried about this summer's recruitment.
Heh - thanks on Smyth. I haven't the time/inclination to assess all the options from Div 4, but if anyone wants to suggest a likely lad I'll have a peep. You would imagine they'd come from among the ranks of the "offered contracts" - like Vigouroux - but it's possible they'll also be released if talks have been turned down flat, as happened in the division above with Regan Poole walking out on Lincoln.

As you say, there's loads of options. Obviously we'll face a bunfight for the better ones but that's the game.

Transfer-adjacent news: Wigan claim to have paid all players, while Cardiff have failed to agree extension terms with manager Sabri Lamouchi. That may (or may not) delay their decisions on release/retain. It certainly can't aid their long-term planning, if such a thing exists.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 16, 2023 5:04 pm

You'd hope that if we'd been chasing Orient's keeper for months them offering him a deal wouldn't matter much.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:04 pm
You'd hope that if we'd been chasing Orient's keeper for months them offering him a deal wouldn't matter much.
I'm by no means sure we have been, and they may be in the same division next season.... he seems to have undergone a huge renaissance, he's back in his home city and talking about enjoying picking up the kids from school, so he may decide to stick rather than twist.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 07329.html

On the face of it, yeah, you'd "expect" someone to swap Orient for Bolton - but each person has their own outlook. I genuinely wonder what reports Sadlier would give... I don't get the impression it's been bitter, but you never know.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue May 16, 2023 6:39 pm

A few familiar faces released at Blackpool...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 16, 2023 8:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm
I'm by no means sure we have been, and they may be in the same division next season.... he seems to have undergone a huge renaissance, he's back in his home city and talking about enjoying picking up the kids from school, so he may decide to stick rather than twist.

On the face of it, yeah, you'd "expect" someone to swap Orient for Bolton - but each person has their own outlook. I genuinely wonder what reports Sadlier would give... I don't get the impression it's been bitter, but you never know.
All true, but for me this will probably be the biggest contract of his career and he wants name exposure to try and get a senior international cap. I get being settled in a local area, but I think if Bolton come knocking in his situation that's a fairly easy choice for a professional vs Orient.

You can't see into a man's head, but I'd be surprised to see him stay at Orient if he had options of our level or bigger. Unless Orient have offered him something huge.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:00 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm

All true, but for me this will probably be the biggest contract of his career and he wants name exposure to try and get a senior international cap. I get being settled in a local area, but I think if Bolton come knocking in his situation that's a fairly easy choice for a professional vs Orient.

You can't see into a man's head, but I'd be surprised to see him stay at Orient if he had options of our level or bigger. Unless Orient have offered him something huge.

We've all used the "picking up the kids from school" routine when we want to bob off early. Means nowt. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 16, 2023 8:25 pm

I know people like you. At work...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:25 pm
I know people like you. At work...
So do I :spank:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 16, 2023 10:27 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:39 pm
A few familiar faces released at Blackpool...
Well noticed (no thanks to BBC!)
Contract options exercised on:
Callum Connolly, Kenny Dougall, CJ Hamilton, James Husband, Shayne Lavery, Luke Mariette, Will Squires, Tayt Trusty, Matty Virtue

Contract options not exercised [ie released]:
Liam Bridcutt, Luke Garbutt, Harvey Hughes, Beryly Lubala, Gary Madine, Chris Maxwell, Kevin Stewart, Joe Strawn

Contracts coming to an end [ie released]:
Keshi Anderson, Stuart Moore, Curtis Nelson, Jordan Thorniley

Loan players returning to parent clubs:
Josh Bowler (Nottingham Forest), Lewis Fiorini (Manchester City), Charlie Goode (Brentford), Charlie Patino (Arsenal), Ian Poveda (Leeds United), Morgan Rogers (Manchester City)
I've looked at Blackpool a fortnight ago, here if you're bored: viewtopic.php?p=1154796#p1154796

Besides the "ooh him" familiarity of Bridcutt, Madine and Keshi – surely a trio of "nah"; Madine is arguably the type most needed and he's 33 in August - there's possibilities in the freebies. I believe we were after Thorniley a year or so ago - but do we need him now? Garbutt is a decent LB/LW, if 30 in May. They've scrapped two keepers - Moore is a permasub but Maxwell's got 125 L1 & 144 Champo games under his belt at Pool, PNE & Fleetwood, so he could be the 'safe' older rival to a promising younger lad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 17, 2023 7:04 am

I could see Evatt viewing Jordan Thorniley as a good pick-up. Still pretty young, loads of experience, local and would slot right in as he has history with some in the squad. He doesn't fit in with the recent desire to add physical units at the back, but he's a good player. There are some questions over his medical history, as I understand it. Someone a bit ago mentioned he's suffered loads of concussions since he turned 18 (both in matches and training) and that there are some insurance questions as a result. That may explain why he's not disruptive when he doesn't play. The gaffer just says, "You did play, Jordan. Don't you remember?" and he just says, "Oh, sorry gaffer. Must have forgot again."

If Keshi could stay fit he'd be a good option for most sides at this level, but it seems he can't. Also, if he were to be "the main man" as a signing I'd have questions. I think he's on the edge between League One and Championship standard and we need someone firmly the other side of Championship quality.

In other news, some very good players are being relegated out of Bundesliga 2 and Markham has previous with that division, so maybe we'll have an eye on that. Perhaps some with scouting assistance from agent Dapo.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 17, 2023 12:25 pm

Belatedly noticed that Fleetwood released Alex Cairns last week. He's a goalkeeper who has the Cods' record number of EFL appearances (he's on just shy of 250 games for FL clubs, and turned 30 this year). Not a remarkable name by any means but he has a couple of links. Having started at Leeds, he was loaned to Chesterfield in 2015 when Evatt was an elder statesman. Went to Fleetwood in 2017 and played very well – West Ham considered signing him - and from 2019 his backup was Matt Gilks.

He was Fleetwood's No.1 for six seasons but Scott Brown hasn't given him a minute. He went on emergency loan to Hartlepool and then on to Salford.

If I were a betting man I'd say he's more likely to go to Bristol Rovers and link back up with Barton, but stranger things have happened. Again, he fits that "experienced older head" alternative - even though I strongly expect us to sign a much younger 'main' No.1.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 17, 2023 1:44 pm

I'd rather have Cairns as #2 than Dixon, for sure. Not sure we'd get better as second choice, but also would want better for #1.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 17, 2023 4:32 pm

BURTON release 10, offer 8 new deals.

Released: Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Ben Radcliffe, Thierry Latty-Fairweather, William Kokolo, Louis Moult, Chris McCann, Sam Winnall, Ben Garratt, Jonny Smith and Callum Hawkins. Retired: Michael Mancienne.

Extensions offered: Mustapha Carayol, Tom Hewlett, Craig MacGillivray, Jakub Niemczyk, Tom Hamer, Deji Oshilja, Conor Shaughnessy and Terry Taylor.

Still under contract: Joe Powell, Josh Walker, Mark Helm, Sam Hughes, John Brayford, Bobby Kamwa, Ciaran Gilligan and Charlie Lakin.

Loanees going home: Charlie Kirk, Jasper Moon, Sam Lavelle, Gassan Ahadme, Jordan Amissah, Zac Ashworth and Dale Taylor.

I wondered briefly about Kirk, who's homesick for the northwest and can sure cross a ball, but he's definitely more of a winger than a wingback. Also still has two years on his contract at Charlton, who'd love to get rid of him, but would want money for it.