Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:20 pm

I’m very unconvinced about signing a keeper with injury issues then.

It’s a key position. Not one to mess about with.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:22 pm

Sounds like one we have taken a gamble on - you would want a steadier back up, or at least one with more football than Coleman as well. Hope he’s had a thorough medical!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:31 pm

Baxter jury.....

Let's hope he stays fit.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:14 pm

Given that he's here now, we should probably discuss his general game and not just his injuries.

Superb reflex stopper, but has a tendency to parry the ball back into play. That can probably be coached out of him by Gilks.

Wasn't great with his feet early on, but from watching recent footage that looks improved - though it's still a weakness. Reading of available passes is a lot better than it was.

Used to be fairly commanding, but seems to have lost the desire to come through crowds to claim. That could be because he was carrying the ankle injury that then needed surgery.

Very good at picking options on the counter and throws well.

He's very, very similar to Jussi. He also has that issue Jussi had where he starts to drop too early and can concede over his head. I think what he's doing is setting himself to spring low to either side, but it opens up the goal too much and again will need coaching out of him. It's something that's true of a number of keepers Hilario has coached and it may be that they have data that shows it's beneficial, so could just be an "I don't like it" issue on my part, rather than an actual weakness.

Were it not for his injuries I'd be a very happy camper. He's far too good for League One. The injuries are, of course, why he's here slumming it at this level.

Whoever is #2 (and it looks like being out giant local friend) will probably play plenty of football, so we need to assess them as though they are coming in as #1.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:48 pm

Welcome Baxter. I hope you do well here. I guess Evatt will now have a keeper on the bench given the comments here about Baxter's injury problems.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:53 pm

I don't think it'll force Evatt into putting a keeper on the bench. His injuries tend to be wear and tear, rather than impact. He plays injured until the point where he needs surgery, rather than coming off injured during games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:14 pm
Given that he's here now, we should probably discuss his general game and not just his injuries.

Superb reflex stopper, but has a tendency to parry the ball back into play. That can probably be coached out of him by Gilks.

Wasn't great with his feet early on, but from watching recent footage that looks improved - though it's still a weakness. Reading of available passes is a lot better than it was.

Used to be fairly commanding, but seems to have lost the desire to come through crowds to claim. That could be because he was carrying the ankle injury that then needed surgery.

He's very, very similar to Jussi. He also has that issue Jussi had where he starts to drop too early and can concede over his head. I think what he's doing is setting himself to spring low to either side, but it opens up the goal too much and again will need coaching out of him. It's something that's true of a number of keepers Hilario has coached and it may be that they have data that shows it's beneficial, so could just be an "I don't like it" issue on my part, rather than an actual weakness.

Were it not for his injuries I'd be a very happy camper. He's far too good for League One. The injuries are, of course, why he's here slumming it at this level.

Whoever is #2 (and it looks like being out giant local friend) will probably play plenty of football, so we need to assess them as though they are coming in as #1.
So injury prone and full of issues. Sounds ideal….

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:17 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

In fairness, we could sign Manuel Neuer and you'd complain about it. Not convinced we're getting anyone better on a free transfer this summer, mate...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:31 pm

It does sound a bit weird, but I reckon I'll see what he can do before shouting "wrong 'un" :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:44 pm

You'll rarely get a Premier League potential 'keeper showing up in League One at 24 without bringing baggage with him.

I have my concerns whenever we sign a player with injury issues, but if we're going to sign one it might as be one who "might" be capable of playing at the top level.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:49 pm

Kieran Lee worked out alright for us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:58 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

In fairness, we could sign Manuel Neuer and you'd complain about it. Not convinced we're getting anyone better on a free transfer this summer, mate...
I know nowt about him. I’ve said that already. Others have reported he’s had bad injuries and the report above doesn’t sound that encouraging.

I will wait and judge during the season cos like I say I wouldn’t know him from Adam.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:58 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I know nowt about him. I’ve said that already. Others have reported he’s had bad injuries and the report above doesn’t sound that encouraging.

I will wait and judge during the season cos like I say I wouldn’t know him from Adam.
I'm glad to hear you say that, because somebody looking at this conversation objectively might think that "So injury prone and full of issues. Sounds ideal…." was the phrase of someone filled with unassailable doubt. As opposed to someone who was keeping an open mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:30 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:58 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I'm glad to hear you say that, because somebody looking at this conversation objectively might think that "So injury prone and full of issues. Sounds ideal…." was the phrase of someone filled with unassailable doubt. As opposed to someone who was keeping an open mind.
That’s only what others reported.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:41 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:49 pm
Kieran Lee worked out alright for us.
Lee has missed a huge amount of football. Undoubtedly a good signing for when he was available, but were Baxter to only play as much as Lee we might be in some bother.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:57 pm

91 appearances in 2 and a half seasons is better than I expected to be honest.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:09 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:57 pm
We've got a lot more out of him than I expected us to and he's a big reason we're where we are.

He's only been able to start about half our games, though. If the same is true of Baxter I don't think he'll go down as as successful a transfer. Goalies are about stability, rather than inspiration. Others may feel differently, though.

If he is fully fit over the next two seasons I think he'll hugely improve our chances of going up. I live in hope.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:39 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:09 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:57 pm
We've got a lot more out of him than I expected us to and he's a big reason we're where we are.

He's only been able to start about half our games, though. If the same is true of Baxter I don't think he'll go down as as successful a transfer. Goalies are about stability, rather than inspiration. Others may feel differently, though.

If he is fully fit over the next two seasons I think he'll hugely improve our chances of going up. I live in hope.
Putting aside injury stuff Ghost, why do you think he hugely improves our promotion credentials over Traf?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:13 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:39 am
Putting aside injury stuff Ghost, why do you think he hugely improves our promotion credentials over Traf?
I wasn't really saying "over Traf", I meant compared to your average League One keeper.

He said in that club interview his aim was to be the best keeper in the division. That's not bragging, it's what he's done when fit in basically every division he's played in until last season.

At Accy he was on about 50% clean sheets. Same at Hull in his first loan, at which point he was statistically the best keeper in England (without adjusting for quality of league).

In terms of talent he is better than this division by a distance.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:51 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:13 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:39 am
I wasn't really saying "over Traf", I meant compared to your average League One keeper.

He said in that club interview his aim was to be the best keeper in the division. That's not bragging, it's what he's done when fit in basically every division he's played in until last season.

At Accy he was on about 50% clean sheets. Same at Hull in his first loan, at which point he was statistically the best keeper in England (without adjusting for quality of league).

In terms of talent he is better than this division by a distance.
Gotcha. Thanks, man. Fingers crossed, we keep him fit. :-)