Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:57 pm
Most of my frustration is not Evatt it’s this bizarre idea that suddenly has appeared that we shouldn’t judge him on an end result but just continually trust a process regardless of whether that is successful or not. This is a complete nonsense.
Nobody has said that, though.

The issue is that the end of this season isn't the end result Evatt is looking at, it is precisely one step in a process. The end result is Premier League football.

That's what Evatt is aiming for, not just getting out of League One. That means that transfer business in one window isn't just about that window - it's about 6, 12, 24 and 36 months down the line. You don't want heavy overlap of spending in that process, or you'll run out of money very quickly.

Clubs that sign lads "for League One" and go up tend to come straight back down to League One; because that's their level. Our aim is to sign players for the Championship, which will automatically give us a better shot at promotion anyway.

In order to get to the Prem we have to get out of League One first. That much is obvious. However, the money we spend has to have a continuing positive impact on the squad into that Championship campaign. That's worth taking your time over, especially when you're already able to put out a very good team for the level.
At what point do you say if we haven’t got out of league one it’s an issue? Say we don’t get out this season after raising the bond and Swiss investment. How would we fund another tilt at it?

There is a point and I think it’s this season where you have to achieve. And accept that and take it on your shoulders regardless. It doesn’t mean I want to sack the manager if we lose on penalties in a play off final. But we also need to accept that the only way forward now is the increase in income a league up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:26 pm
At what point do you say if we haven’t got out of league one it’s an issue? Say we don’t get out this season after raising the bond and Swiss investment. How would we fund another tilt at it?

There is a point and I think it’s this season where you have to achieve. And accept that and take it on your shoulders regardless. It doesn’t mean I want to sack the manager if we lose on penalties in a play off final. But we also need to accept that the only way forward now is the increase in income a league up.
It depends on the circumstances. As you say, if we lose on pens in the play-off final that's different from finishing 7th.

Likewise, finishing 7th with a reasonably fit squad is different from finishing 7th with 10 players out injured mid-to-long-term.

Context does matter, so it's not just "Go up or get another manager" stuff.

Not going up this season will almost certainly be a failure of process to come extent. No doubt there. Whether it was a terminal failure or not would depend on why we didn't go up and where we finished.

No manager is untouchable. However, Evatt has earnt a lot of goodwill.

Personally, I think we'll go up.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:43 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:57 pm
Most of my frustration is not Evatt it’s this bizarre idea that suddenly has appeared that we shouldn’t judge him on an end result but just continually trust a process regardless of whether that is successful or not. This is a complete nonsense.
Nobody has said that, though.

The issue is that the end of this season isn't the end result Evatt is looking at, it is precisely one step in a process. The end result is Premier League football.

That's what Evatt is aiming for, not just getting out of League One. That means that transfer business in one window isn't just about that window - it's about 6, 12, 24 and 36 months down the line. You don't want heavy overlap of spending in that process, or you'll run out of money very quickly.

Clubs that sign lads "for League One" and go up tend to come straight back down to League One; because that's their level. Our aim is to sign players for the Championship, which will automatically give us a better shot at promotion anyway.

In order to get to the Prem we have to get out of League One first. That much is obvious. However, the money we spend has to have a continuing positive impact on the squad into that Championship campaign. That's worth taking your time over, especially when you're already able to put out a very good team for the level.
With the utmost respect Ghost how will we be able to sign these said players good enough to keep us in the championship if we will not offer better wages than we currently pay ?, which is what Evatt has stated only a few days ago. In life you get what you pay for, these quality championship level players won't come & play for us on lower League 1 wages.

Please explain to me the strategy of targeting / chasing better quality (currently unavailable) players who would be capable of playing championship football - but we won't pay them more than say £5k a week or anymore than our current highest paid player when they have likely been on £10k - £15k a week etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:56 pm

Yeah I think there is a lot said about us going up with a championship level squad. I personally think it’s pretty fanciful. Unless we break our wage structure significantly we won’t do. And no amount of player progress will turn half this lot into decent or even competent championship players.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:08 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:05 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:02 pm
Why are we prejudging a transfer window halfway through it?
Why are we prejudging promotion before we're halfway through preseason friendlies?

There is a lot of angst over what might or might not happen and what hasn't happened.
There is a lot of supposition as well.

What we do know is the plan is to get promoted and to strengthen the team and squad. Why don't we judge both once we know whether we've achieved them or not?
Because it takes time to plan what colour paint is best for writing on your bedsheet!
They've probably one of them paint mixing machines in the garage :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:19 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:43 pm
With the utmost respect Ghost how will we be able to sign these said players good enough to keep us in the championship if we will not offer better wages than we currently pay ?, which is what Evatt has stated only a few days ago. In life you get what you pay for, these quality championship level players won't come & play for us on lower League 1 wages.

Please explain to me the strategy of targeting / chasing better quality (currently unavailable) players who would be capable of playing championship football - but we won't pay them more than say £5k a week or anymore than our current highest paid player when they have likely been on £10k - £15k a week etc.
We've already done that, though.

Baxter was wanted by at least one Championship club and an Israeli Champions League club offering way more money. We got him.

Vic was wanted by two Championship clubs (Wigan and Rotherham). We got him.

Player moves aren't always about money. When players are the right age profile they also often move for career progression. What we're hoping for is players to look at their possible options and decide we're the best for their career path - as happened with Baxter.

Most players of the quality we want will get offers from the Championship that they deem better for their careers (and, yes, bank balance) than coming to us. We only need one player per role to fall through the cracks and realise they will get the most game time and best development here.

If the offer is sitting on the bench in the Championship or playing every week for us, but for less money, there are players who will choose to play. That's less likely to be true of older players, but lads in their late teens and early 20s will often make that call.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:26 pm

But I thought that we wanted proper championship experienced players not kids who have played in the championship ?

Basically you are saying that our strategy may (if we wait until they are desperate) get us a few 20, 21 year old championship players with potential...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:39 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:26 pm
But I thought that we wanted proper championship experienced players not kids who have played in the championship ?

Basically you are saying that our strategy may (if we wait until they are desperate) get us a few 20, 21 year old championship players with potential...
Not what I've said at all. Baxter and Kane Wilson were players we know we've targeted on that profile. One is a Prem youth player and the other a Championship player whose move hasn't quite worked out. Both are the right age (24 and 23), both have played plenty of professional games, but they had reasons to come to League One. We got one and not the other, but they're both in League One.

Baxter wasn't desperate, he had options and decided to come here. Wilson also wasn't desperate when he agreed to join us (as he apparently had), but that went wrong for whatever reason.

Players don't have to be desperate or unproven to come here. There can be any number of reasons why a player of the right profile might view Bolton as his best option.

I don't think Evatt has said we're targeting whatever "proper championship experienced players" are (that sounds sarcastic, but I just mean I'm not sure how experienced you expected them to be), he said we were targeting players either in the divisions above or with options to sign for Championship clubs.

What we're targeting is talent. The ability to play at least a division up. We want it in a package that adds value to the squad and gives us a good chance to develop the player.

There are some experienced Championship players I think we might be able to get, but I think that's more difficult within our budgets.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:12 pm

It's not like they have a little label in their neck that says Champo or L1.

Not too long ago Ivan Toney was playing down here and guarantee there were ever Posh fans saying he "might to a job in the Champ but he isn't that quick". Fit is a big part, as is development.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:39 pm
Personally, I think we'll go up.

I like this! And I certainly want to believe it (that we'll go up; not that you think it!). But, I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning. I can't do the in-depth analysis that you and others are capable of. For me, we've recruited a pair of keepers, neither of whom are worth £19m, and a couple of other players I've never heard of. I've absolutely no idea whether that makes us better than 22 other teams in the league. Can you say in a few sentences what gives you confidence? Ta.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:44 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:29 pm
I like this! And I certainly want to believe it (that we'll go up; not that you think it!). But, I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning. I can't do the in-depth analysis that you and others are capable of. For me, we've recruited a pair of keepers, neither of whom are worth £19m, and a couple of other players I've never heard of. I've absolutely no idea whether that makes us better than 22 other teams in the league. Can you say in a few sentences what gives you confidence? Ta.
Sure. Though a caveat off the bat. I'm assuming we've done out due diligence around injuries.

Traf and Bradley were very good, but I don't think we're worse off right now than we were last season.

Baxter looks like he will hugely improve our build-up play and possession-based defending model. He's not been tested in goal yet, but he's always been one of the best shot-stoppers outside the Premier League. He's a style of goalkeeper that I think suits us more.

Cogley may be much closer to Bradley's level than I anticipated, despite already thinking it a good signing.

Losing Johnston is a pig, but without that I think we might actually be better than last season right now, before we've made our big signings. Williams looks a lot sharper down the left and having Iredale back will, I suspect, make up for losing Johnston as he's so good going forward from that centre back position.

The league is slightly weaker and we only need to add a couple of players to be a better side.

We absolutely have got to do this pending business and I don't think we're going up as we are right now, but I think once we make some more signings we'll be right up there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:56 pm
Yeah I think there is a lot said about us going up with a championship level squad. I personally think it’s pretty fanciful. Unless we break our wage structure significantly we won’t do. And no amount of player progress will turn half this lot into decent or even competent championship players.
You did have probably 75% of our regular 1st team down somewhere between not goid enough for L1 and pub league, last season. We did ok, with them. Expectation has risen.

When it boils down to it, we're not going to spend Sheff Weds" money to finish third. I think that's pretty much a "fact."

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:37 am

Looks like Insane might get his new MJ and/or I might get my centre half who is also a midfielder.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... er-market/

Prior to the start of the season I suggested Deji Oshilaja for that role in the squad, but it looks like we are aiming higher than that.

Part of me wonders if this is just a way of rephrasing "We're not spending money on an additional player, so one of the planned mids will have to provide cover."

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:45 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
This is the important bit. We could have a hybrid team made up of 2021 Wigan and 2020 Wycombe. We'd go up playing shit football and would also be relegated again by Christmas. Setting us back even further than we are now. Because we'd be paying a load of 32 year old journeymen a bunce and not be able to shift them.

Just going up for the sake of going up, isn't going to cut it. It needs to be carefully built and I think Evatt is on the way to balancing it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
If we were to go up with a lean(ish) squad that is financially stable, then we will have decent cushion for investment for some key players, I'm sure.

What we can't have right now, is a new arrival earning 4-5 x more than established players already here. It's detrimental, not only to the finances, but the harmony of the squad
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:13 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:53 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
If we were to go up with a lean(ish) squad that is financially stable, then we will have decent cushion for investment for some key players, I'm sure.

What we can't have right now, is a new arrival earning 4-5 x more than established players already here. It's detrimental, not only to the finances, but the harmony of the squad
And unaffordable.

I think the problem is that as ever it becomes a bit internet binary. I certainly don’t want us signing players on say 25K a week.

But let’s say our top wage is 8 and we can sign really top (for our level) players but would have to pay them 12 or even 15 - if that’s in budget then I think it’s a different call. Are these the players to take us up? If so then to get that quality Evatt talks about you have to pay them more than existing players sometimes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:15 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:37 am
Looks like Insane might get his new MJ and/or I might get my centre half who is also a midfielder.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... er-market/

Prior to the start of the season I suggested Deji Oshilaja for that role in the squad, but it looks like we are aiming higher than that.

Part of me wonders if this is just a way of rephrasing "We're not spending money on an additional player, so one of the planned mids will have to provide cover."
It sounds more to me like the plan to replace Johnston is to replace MJ. Presumably with someone a bit more mobile.

Which I think is a sound idea. Cover for the back three and a presence in midfield when needed. And if they are more mobile then presumably they can play across the back three more - MJ was limited to the centre berth really.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:46 am

Billy Sharp is after a league one gig…would swap for Jerome!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:15 am
It sounds more to me like the plan...
That's a good start!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:27 pm

Another week drifts by without any incoming activity or even a sniff at any.

Really hope next week is considerably busier. These new lads will need some pre season with us.