Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:06 pm

CMG to me, looks like he'd be at his best as a wide forward, coming in. Like Dapo before him. But he's wasted here if that is his best position
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:35 pm

Not sure where this goes but really bad luck for Bradley - has a stress fracture in his back. Will be out a fair old while.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:27 pm

Oh that's bad news. Hope he recovers fully
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:13 pm

Apparently we've turned down a deal for Shoretire to return (on a permanent), I think we didn’t like the fee.

I wouldn't be averse to him returning, but it's not a priority position right now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:59 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:13 pm
Apparently we've turned down a deal for Shoretire to return (on a permanent), I think we didn’t like the fee.

I wouldn't be averse to him returning, but it's not a priority position right now.
A freebie with say 25-50% sell on fee, I could go for but any kind of fee would put me off. Particularly, as you say, we've greater priority elsewhere on the park.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:08 pm

Hmmm depends on the fee but he's clearly talented. Given we spent 300k on Dan, I'd rather Shola for that money! And with CMG he'd give us the option of going 343.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:08 pm
Hmmm depends on the fee but he's clearly talented. Given we spent 300k on Dan, I'd rather Shola for that money! And with CMG he'd give us the option of going 343.
Aye, it was the Dan fee I had in mind. I'm willing the lad to come good for us and repay Evatts faith in him but that 300k, absolute peanuts in today's madness, is looking like a heavy millstone.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:08 pm
I’m feeling that signing Shola after Dan wouldn’t exactly help heal fanbase divisions… maybe for an encore he could re-loan Mbete…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:32 am

Iles has his blog up. No incomings beyond maybe an emergency goalie expected today. All about ‘exits’.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:13 am

He told us that yesterday, TBF. :-) I doubt Evatt would leave it until last day without saying something fairly vague about us still looking to strengthen a couple of areas...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:24 am

Iles also “wonders” if exits would create incomings. Meanwhile Evatt is quoted saying we might get offered players on far better terms than previously. So I still have hope for new blood.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:24 am

Quick question, has anyone got any approx idea what the 4 sided LED advertising screens to be sited in between the stands is costing ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:35 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:24 am
Quick question, has anyone got any approx idea what the 4 sided LED advertising screens to be sited in between the stands is costing ?
None here. (But equally unsure how knowing it would be helpful.) If we straw man a figure, for arguments sake, £400k, at what point will it become a positive investment, because the advertising revenue has exceeded its capital outlay? No idea...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:39 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:24 am
Iles also “wonders” if exits would create incomings. Meanwhile Evatt is quoted saying we might get offered players on far better terms than previously. So I still have hope for new blood.
It’s the hope that kills you. Honestly I think there is very very little chance we bring any outfield players in today. I would be stunned if we did. Stunned.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:41 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:35 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
None here. (But equally unsure how knowing it would be helpful.) If we straw man a figure, for arguments sake, £400k, at what point will it become a positive investment, because the advertising revenue has exceeded its capital outlay? No idea...
I'm just wondering the reasoning behind it, my wild guess is round £500k. We are a League 1 club who are on tv (sky game etc.) maybe twice a year with probably a limited /small tv audience being League 1 - if the aim is increasing advertising revenue (and we already have lower / pitch side LED advertising) - surely being in the championship would be better in regards to increasing advertising revenue.

Therefore why not spend the £500k perhaps on another player to increase the chances of promotion to said championship ?, just a thought.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:49 am

I don’t know on the economics of pitch or stadium advertising but I trust the club do. So whatever.

But why do the pitch side ones have to be so bright? It’s really distracting to me when watching the game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:49 am
I don’t know on the economics of pitch or stadium advertising but I trust the club do. So whatever.

But why do the pitch side ones have to be so bright? It’s really distracting to me when watching the game.
Perhaps the same reason modern car headlights are so f**king bright, whatever that might be. Maybe we're all dulling our eyes to blindness by poiinting our faces at screens and phones for 16 hours a day.

Speaking of which – I picked the wrong day to shift-lead a newsroom. Or did I? At least I can look busy. Only did it 'cos my colleague, a West Ham fan, needs to leave early to go to the game at Luton...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:59 am

Evatt on that Peterborough striker:
“Jonno is a very, very good player and for this level in particular his goal record is second to none. When you have got a record like that you will always get recognition and admiration from other managers. But for me, it is not just about that, they have to fit into our mould, they have to fit into our wage remit, and they have to be affordable for us to keep this club sustainable. He would probably be worth a lot more money than we have got to spend.”

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:10 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:41 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:35 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
I'm just wondering the reasoning behind it, my wild guess is round £500k. We are a League 1 club who are on tv (sky game etc.) maybe twice a year with probably a limited /small tv audience being League 1 - if the aim is increasing advertising revenue (and we already have lower / pitch side LED advertising) - surely being in the championship would be better in regards to increasing advertising revenue.

Therefore why not spend the £500k perhaps on another player to increase the chances of promotion to said championship ?, just a thought.
Well yes, we could do that. I suspect our focus and Evatt's/Boards aren't an exact match. Evatt has said a "sustainable club" all the way along. But yes, there's 1 pot of money and many ways to spend it! :-)

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:16 pm

I see that Iles had to post a warning on his Deadline Day blog about foul mouthed messages and rants saying that some were actually libellous. He's had to delete a fair few.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: