The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 09, 2023 7:09 pm

It's almost here at last, in a Lancs v Yorkshire toe-to-toe battle of the blooms. This will not be for the faint-hearted, we can almost guarantee and forecasting is a brave option. That said, it's all to play for and a chance for a Wembley Final and a promotion as the prize. Can we repeat the Pappa John performance and put the Yorkies to the sword twice in a week? We have to believe the answer is yes, but it won't be any joy-ride, that's for sure.
Never mind your Greater Manchester nonsense, this is Lancashire hot-pots v Yorkshire puds, so up and at em . Go then... :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by Mar » Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 pm

Officially our last home game of the season. Hopefully a good one. No holding back now.

Strongest XI out, my guess:
Trafford, Bradley, Jones, Toal, Johnston, John, Dempsey, Morley, Sheehan, Adeboyejo, Charles

Bench: Santos, Randell, MJ, Kacha, Lee, N'lundulu, Dixon

Games too risky not to have a keeper on the bench, despite the obvious attacking opportunity having the extra option would provide.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by truewhite15 » Tue May 09, 2023 11:35 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 pm
Officially our last home game of the season. Hopefully a good one. No holding back now.

Trafford, Bradley, Jones, Toal, Johnston, John, Dempsey, Morley, Sheehan, Adeboyejo, Charles

Games too risky not to have a keeper on the bench, despite the obvious attacking opportunity having the extra option would provide.
I'd be astonished if Jones is fit for this, given how he limped off vs Brizzle. Santos will start, barring any unexpected niggles. Could see Iredale on the bench. Not sure we'll go with Vic over Kacha either - Kacha's pressing could be pretty critical here. Will Bod be fit enough to get back into contention?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 10, 2023 7:27 am

I'm expecting 2 tight affairs. With a bit of luck we come out the right side. I'm trying to be all relaxed and that whatever happens it's been a great season but come Saturday I'll be bricking it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 10, 2023 8:27 am

I think these games its about bravery. We played a final and showed bravery to make the runs, get onto the front foot and really play. That is ultimately what this game and the second leg will require. If we allow the game to become too attritional it maybe favours them a bit. But bravery on and off the ball is required.

We honestly have nothing to lose - we've got well rested players and can and should absolutely attack this. Don't try and be too clever and out possession them - just go for the throat and do not step off it. Intensity and bravery are the two key words.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 10, 2023 9:33 am

Mar wrote:

I'm quite surprised you consider John to be part of our strongest XI - I think Williams is now the clear choice at LWB. I'm also fairly certain Santos starts, and not sure Vic is a better partner for Charles than Dan. Lee or Sheehan is a close one.

I'd go:

Trafford

Toal Santos Johnston

Bradley Williams

Morley

Dempsey Lee

Charles Nlundulu

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 10, 2023 9:39 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:33 am
Mar wrote:

I'm quite surprised you consider John to be part of our strongest XI - I think Williams is now the clear choice at LWB. I'm also fairly certain Santos starts, and not sure Vic is a better partner for Charles than Dan. Lee or Sheehan is a close one.

I'd go:

Trafford

Toal Santos Johnston

Bradley Williams

Morley

Dempsey Lee

Charles Nlundulu
I’d have John over Williams at least at home. Personally.

I think there is a big question mark over whether Santos is fit enough and match sharp enough to start. Evatt said he struggles returning from injury as it takes him a while to get to full fitness.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 am

I must be missing something with John - what is it that he's shown of late to merit getting a start in our biggest game of the season?

On Santos, I obviously don't have the information on his fitness, but I'd guess he will be selected if he's at least close to being fully fit. If not MJ comes back in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 10, 2023 10:26 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 am
I must be missing something with John - what is it that he's shown of late to merit getting a start in our biggest game of the season?

On Santos, I obviously don't have the information on his fitness, but I'd guess he will be selected if he's at least close to being fully fit. If not MJ comes back in.
John started in our previous biggest game of the season and bagged the first assist, which set the ball rolling. Guess where I'm at, is that John at his best, looks better than what I've seen Williams do at his best, so far. (I thought Williams had a decently competent game at weekend)...The question with John for me, is which one will turn up...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 am

He looks better than Williams in all positive aspects of play. I suspect neither are brilliant defensively but maybe Randell's extra pace edges that.

But in terms of creating stuff and putting quality into the box I'd have John for the home game. I'm not convinced he's done masses wrong either.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 10, 2023 10:58 am

Both have issues. I'd go John here too. Big game, on sky, you're more likely to get the good John.

Williams was better, I'm still hoping there's a player in there but I'm not sure yet what he's good at. Looks like he's a right winger to me! He's best moments on sat were coming in off the right high up the pitch. I don't think he's got the raw pace or quality delivery to go regularly on the outside down the left, he doesn't really seem to be able to kick, and I'm not convinced he can defend either! But he's still getting fitness and I'm hoping there's a player in there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 10, 2023 11:19 am

One day we'll score off a Randy long throw.

It's a close choice, that. Think Randy has more pace and also the adaptability - but John has a lot more assists and #content. Just never sure whether his head's in the game.

Choices in all three departments, although fewer while we've men out (and Santos not yet being 100% would be a tougher choice if Geth was/is fit). In midfield you can starter-place case for Sheehan, Morley, Dempsey, Lee *and* MJ – and we can't pick 'em all.

Conversely, up front it's more a case of minimising weaknesses. Interesting to see Dan picked by The Gun. I think Evatt will go with Kacha, who is goalphobic but works well in the system; but we're at home in the first leg and we will want a cushion so we may see the dice rolled after the break.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 10, 2023 11:41 am

I think most of the choices are generally close enough to "who you personally prefer" which is probably a decent reflection on "the system," "trust the process," "content download," if fitness isn't a problem.

I think if fit, he won't drop the skipper. Johnston is in, then probably Toal.

Randy long throw whilst handy is probably a try something different tactic, off the bench, rather than a starting tactic. But where's Dec's head at? IiRC he's probably been involved in most "must wins," the last few seasons.

Latterly, sexy has been more a finisher that starter, so probably Demps, Morley, Sheehan.

Up front, I think I'd be stunned if he picked the improving Dan. He really wants to play Dion/Vic IMO and I think that's what he'll do.

Despite not having list a League game with Dixon in nets, I think he'll go Trafford. ;-)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 10, 2023 1:42 pm

John puts in maybe two or three good performances a season, and I only mean good going forwards - he's a saloon door defensively. Williams obviously hasn't torn up any trees yet, I just don't think John can be relied on at all.

My Nlundulu pick was a bit of a rogue one, but I feel as though he might act as a better foil for Charles than Vic, and Kachunga is not under consideration for me.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed May 10, 2023 2:03 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:42 pm
John puts in maybe two or three good performances a season, and I only mean good going forwards - he's a saloon door defensively. Williams obviously hasn't torn up any trees yet, I just don't think John can be relied on at all.

My Nlundulu pick was a bit of a rogue one, but I feel as though he might act as a better foil for Charles than Vic, and Kachunga is not under consideration for me.
Bit harsh on John somewhat. I feel like he was the target of most opposition attacks last season and bore the brunt of that, which is why we brought in Iredale and Randell. Neither player has really kicked on from John and that remains the oppositions point of attack. This shouldn't come as a surprise that there would be weaknesses at left-back, most modern strategies involve wingback plays and the usual area of strength is right footed, so to have a left back that is able to cope with that every week is a real challenge.

In our biggest game of the season against Plymouth, John delivered a really good performance, so he gets the nod in our latest biggest game of the season. I suspect Randell is/was Evatt's go to for the future signing but I think John's probably just ahead at the moment, despite not being that much in it.

N'lundulu is a baffling pick from you. He's a very direct player but doesn't see the pass and instead tries to beat one to many opposition players. He had a good impact last match so definitely warrants including at some point, but i'd have him as impact sub over a starter.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 pm

He's going to play Santos, which is a risk if not fully sharp. He mentioned being able to leave Santos as the sole man at the back. I just worry he's not got time to get fit enough to be better than MJ Williams. I'd have MJ over Morley in midfield if Santos plays. He's been superb recently. I'd have him Dempsey and Lee in midfield.
Definitely John over R Williams. John has been below par this season but is the better player for me.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu May 11, 2023 8:05 am

R Williams got a big up from Evatt in the Bolton News recently after he played in the last game of the season, I think. It's almost like the manager is managing the players. Very odd.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 11, 2023 8:46 am

I think he’ll go with the PJT team, with Johnston in for Jones. Never can tell with Evatt though.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 11, 2023 11:30 am

Barnsley's captain and player of the season, Mads Andersen, remains a doubt for Saturday.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... es-4138141

Michael Duff says:

"He has got a chance. He still hasn't trained with the group yet, so it's going to be a late one. But if we think he's got a chance, he's obviously a big part of what we want to do. But if he's not fit, he's not fit. No matter how much you want him to play, you can't make him fit. A 50 per cent Mads Andersen is not as good as someone else who is 100 per cent. He's a big part of what we are and where we've been. It's an unfortunate time to get it, but hopefully, fingers crossed, he can come through it."

I suppose we'll be planning for Andersen to be available, but they do appear to be a notably weaker team without him, so if he's ruled out then our chances of winning on Saturday must rise.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 11, 2023 11:54 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:30 am
Barnsley's captain and player of the season, Mads Andersen, remains a doubt for Saturday.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... es-4138141

Michael Duff says:

"He has got a chance. He still hasn't trained with the group yet, so it's going to be a late one. But if we think he's got a chance, he's obviously a big part of what we want to do. But if he's not fit, he's not fit. No matter how much you want him to play, you can't make him fit. A 50 per cent Mads Andersen is not as good as someone else who is 100 per cent. He's a big part of what we are and where we've been. It's an unfortunate time to get it, but hopefully, fingers crossed, he can come through it."

I suppose we'll be planning for Andersen to be available, but they do appear to be a notably weaker team without him, so if he's ruled out then our chances of winning on Saturday must rise.
Quite a few on their forum seem to think he's fit and ready, when last I had a peek...whether they're ITK dunno.