Match Thread: Pasties and Pies - A Tasty affair! Bolton v Wigan (H) - Saturday 19th Aug / 12.30

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Match Thread: Pasties and Pies - A Tasty affair! Bolton v Wigan (H) - Saturday 19th Aug / 12.30

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:29 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:18 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:12 pm
Well this puts a different complexion on the transfer window now. Anyone fancy Morley and Sheehan? Anyone?
No it doesn't. We've still won 4 out of 5 this season. If you'd offered us that at the start we'd have all taken it. A bad day at the office on the back of 4 good ones.

It'll be reet
It’s a half decent team and it’s completely shown us the issues we had last season are still here in abundance. If anyone tries to pretend it doesn’t they are in complete denial.
Again, not it's not. It's a really good team. We've had a bad day, and I still don't know how we're 4 down.

It happens. We need to move on. If we lose the next 4 then I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong. However, if we end up winning the next 2 or 3i think most of us will be quite pleased
You don’t know how they are 4-0 up? They’ve outplayed us all over and scored 4 could be more and we’ve not come close to scoring.

They’ve not had to stretch themselves. Completely destroyed us. 4-0 flatters us. It really does.

It’s not about ‘the next few games’. You simply can’t have performances like this in you if you are expecting the top two. Top sides simply don’t ever look like this.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Match Thread: Pasties and Pies - A Tasty affair! Bolton v Wigan (H) - Saturday 19th Aug / 12.30

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:33 pm

A comment about on the day, rather than on the season. That was a fcking shambles, they set about with the press, won every second ball, first half. No one tracked Wyke, second and third were really poor defensively. Dunno what some people were watching. Ineffectual going one way, really poor at the other end.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:29 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:18 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:12 pm
Well this puts a different complexion on the transfer window now. Anyone fancy Morley and Sheehan? Anyone?
No it doesn't. We've still won 4 out of 5 this season. If you'd offered us that at the start we'd have all taken it. A bad day at the office on the back of 4 good ones.

It'll be reet
It’s a half decent team and it’s completely shown us the issues we had last season are still here in abundance. If anyone tries to pretend it doesn’t they are in complete denial.
Again, not it's not. It's a really good team. We've had a bad day, and I still don't know how we're 4 down.

It happens. We need to move on. If we lose the next 4 then I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong. However, if we end up winning the next 2 or 3i think most of us will be quite pleased
You don’t know how they are 4-0 up? They’ve outplayed us all over and scored 4 could be more and we’ve not come close to scoring.

They’ve not had to stretch themselves. Completely destroyed us. 4-0 flatters us. It really does.

It’s not about ‘the next few games’. You simply can’t have performances like this in you if you are expecting the top two. Top sides simply don’t ever look like this.
You seem delighted that we're 4-0 down as it plays into your weekly narrative that we're terrible. We've been far from terrible this match.

Plenty of crosses, plenty of decent progressive passing up the pitch. There's a lot here that suggests a 4-0 scoreline isn't deserved, but we've been shambolic defensively, overrun in midfield and suckerpunched whenever we've lost the ball. Wigan have been clinical and we've been pedestrian getting forward.

We don't deserve to win this, but this scoreline is harsh. Wigan haven't had an abundance of chances but what they have had, they've done really well with.

All in all, another Wigan match to forget.

Perhaps time to get a psychologist in to get our heads sorted coming into games like this?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:42 pm

So, let's see, what went wrong. Well, we didn't score any goals, bad enough, but they scored four past us. Ah, that's what went wrong. We'll not hear the last of this for a while. WIGAN for xxx sake. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:43 pm

Evatt and his ego. Pretty football gets put in it's place by in your face horrible bastard.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:43 pm

fecking shambles! Best be a one off! Why to them again though FFS!

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Oh give over., Please It is abad day at the office. A shockingly bad day, but a bad day no less.

All teams have them, and we'll have a few more. It's football.

That was not our finest hour. I paid a tenner on top of the price of my season ticket for the "pleasure" of watching it whilst on my Jolie's, so I'm far from pleased (although all inclusive beers being served throughout certainly helped....). However, I'll get over it, and most importantly I'll not overreact and implode.

I genuinely think a little part of you is glad we got battered so you can resume your usual narrative...

I just don't get why some people are so quick and seemingly happy to have their negative opinions "proved" right.

You can bang on all afternoon about our failings, but that won't help. You can tell us how you know so much better than the management team and how they've messed up, but that won't help either. You can tell us how we consistently mess up transfer windows, whilst not offering up what we could have done differently, but you know what, it won't help either

What will help is us getting behind the team, and not jumping to criticise at the first opportunity....

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:46 pm

OMG being totally honest that was disgraceful and hard to watch. What a waste of the transfer window from Evatt, same issues as last season that Evatt has failed to address - lack of fight, steel, leadership in the team, this team is still soft as shite, backing out of 50/50's - generally bullied by Wigan (who I was impressed with), they pressed us & gave us no time on the ball and we where clueless, the passing at times was abysmal. I appreciate that its only 1 game but Wigan highlighted all of the flaws in this team / squad.

Yet again no plan B from Evatt, Wigan showed more desire, spirit, passion than us from minute 1, their 2 in midfield bossed our 3. We are ok against poor teams who sit back, but we are not physical enough to deal with the better teams - everyone apart from Dempsey, Gomes & Maghoma where shocking, Gethin Jones was appalling I'm talking 2 out of 10, with Baxter, Santos, Iredale & Williams not much better (3 out of 10 at best), we were very weak in midfield, Sheehan & Morley poor - at times it was men against boys, automatic promotion is more likely for Wigan than us. Stadium was emptying even before the 4th went in. Nlundulu wasn't the worst but dear me, what a waste of money, the next Ivan Toney do me a favour Evatt.

Most have said in the past that we need some steel & leaders in the team, well it showed today. Very damaging that today, fans not happy at all, many very angry coming out of the ground.

Well done Wigan, they have a better team than us, they have players who will fight & scrap who play with passion, fight & desire - unfortunately ours when things go against them just shrink & hide when it doesn't go well.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm

I got lucky today. I didn't realize it was an early start so have just signed on. Therefore I missed this shambles. Small blessings.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:59 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm
I got lucky today. I didn't realize it was an early start so have just signed on. Therefore I missed this shambles. Small blessings.
Saved a tenner too! Bonus!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:04 pm

Crowd turned up. Players and coaches didn't. One or two looked frozen today, totally choked in the atmosphere and being pressed by good players. Fair play to Wigan. Better side by a country mile and their game management spot on. C*nts.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:05 pm

Given the reaction on here you'd think we'd just been relegated.

Yes today wasn't good but this is nowhere near the level of awful we experienced under Hill or Parkinson in that relegation season.

In games like today we needed to be hard to beat but we were far from that.

There's positivity to be had from players repeating their well drilled routines.

It's a blip. Sadly we've got to wait another week for our next fixture

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:16 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:44 pm
Oh give over., Please It is abad day at the office. A shockingly bad day, but a bad day no less.

All teams have them, and we'll have a few more. It's football.

That was not our finest hour. I paid a tenner on top of the price of my season ticket for the "pleasure" of watching it whilst on my Jolie's, so I'm far from pleased (although all inclusive beers being served throughout certainly helped....). However, I'll get over it, and most importantly I'll not overreact and implode.

I genuinely think a little part of you is glad we got battered so you can resume your usual narrative...

I just don't get why some people are so quick and seemingly happy to have their negative opinions "proved" right.

You can bang on all afternoon about our failings, but that won't help. You can tell us how you know so much better than the management team and how they've messed up, but that won't help either. You can tell us how we consistently mess up transfer windows, whilst not offering up what we could have done differently, but you know what, it won't help either

What will help is us getting behind the team, and not jumping to criticise at the first opportunity....
I’m simply reacting to what is seen. People pretending that wasn’t entirely unacceptable as a performance or that we weren’t played off the pitch are in complete denial.

I listened to the game thoughts of the radio Manchester commentary team as I left and they said the same. Wigan won every battle. Every challenge. They had a complete performance whereas bolton shirked it and were cowardly.

That sums it up.

Nobody wants to lose a game but pretending it wasn’t absolutely abysmal on every level and exactly the same as similar games last season is ridiculous. You can’t write this off as a ‘bad day at the office’ it wasn’t. Isn’t. It was shambolic and lacklustre and we were flying before it. You have to address the problems and reasons not just write it off.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:18 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:05 pm
Given the reaction on here you'd think we'd just been relegated.

Yes today wasn't good but this is nowhere near the level of awful we experienced under Hill or Parkinson in that relegation season.

In games like today we needed to be hard to beat but we were far from that.

There's positivity to be had from players repeating their well drilled routines.

It's a blip. Sadly we've got to wait another week for our next fixture
It's not just a blip, this is the 2nd time in 3 seasons that Wigan have hammered us 4-0 at home. There is something mentality wrong with this team in derby games like this, when teams come at us and press us with physicality, we can't deal with it the players shrink & hide. The way they passed the ball today was streets ahead of us, none of this sideways & backwards boring 'possession for possessions sake shite' they passed through, us at will (forward passes !) and their movement was better. The majority of their players IMO were a class above ours which is worrying to me if our aim is automatic promotion. Wyke had the better of Santos all game, generally they wanted it much more than our players, our players where like rabbits in the highlights - they had no idea how to counter Wigan's physicality, press & game management.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:20 pm

Pretending that was decent against straw-men that no one mentioned, is litte different than melting down the other way.

A very poor performance. Doubt their keeper will need to have his kit washed whilst we shipped 4. Sure it was a great 0-0 if you ignore those 4...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:25 pm

Marc Iles says ‘That was crap. Second to everything and simply not strong enough’. Which is I think the reaction I and everyone else who watched that game.

You can’t fix that by continuing with a physically weak midfield.

Evatt has work to do this window. As radio Manchester say Sheehan and Morley do not work together against a side intent on pressing you. Morley looks out of shape. Sheehan bullied. I mean santos was bullied off the park today so it isn’t exactly a shock that the midfield was too but there is no doubt we have to fix the deficiencies that we carry from last season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:27 pm

Oh and the front two were absolutely abysmal today. I’ve no idea what we bought Nlundulu for and the point still stands. He offers absolutely nothing unless you fancy watching a non entity. Sadly vic was worse. I think again there is work to do up front.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:27 pm
Oh and the front two were absolutely abysmal today. I’ve no idea what we bought Nlundulu for and the point still stands. He offers absolutely nothing unless you fancy watching a non entity. Sadly vic was worse. I think again there is work to do up front.
I still honestly can't think what on earth prompted Evatt to spend (sorry waste) money on Nlundulu, he tries hard but as a striker he's terrible - I really do hope that we have some of the bond money left.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:25 pm
Marc Iles says ‘That was crap. Second to everything and simply not strong enough’. Which is I think the reaction I and everyone else who watched that game.

You can’t fix that by continuing with a physically weak midfield.

Evatt has work to do this window. As radio Manchester say Sheehan and Morley do not work together against a side intent on pressing you. Morley looks out of shape. Sheehan bullied. I mean santos was bullied off the park today so it isn’t exactly a shock that the midfield was too but there is no doubt we have to fix the deficiencies that we carry from last season.
They where all bullied, every single Bolton player bottled it today - shirked responsibility, shirked tackles, not one of our players matched the desire & physicality of Wigan - it is worrying how soft we are as a team. Wigan's players where up for it, willing to run hard, tackle hard, battle etc. ours just bottled it and didn't want to know - we didn't win 1 physical battle all game.

Evatt can't be blameless today, it's his players, his tactics, his management - yes its only one game, but as with a couple of years ago this hurts a lot of the fans. It's not just losing it's the spineless, capitulation that hurts more.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:07 pm

Yeah it’s the absolute cowardly nature of it that annoys me. Pulling out of challenges. Hiding from the ball cos we are being pressed. It’s really not acceptable and more I think about it more annoying it is.

But the issue is that we haven’t fixed the problems. We need a big nasty lump in midfield. We need more options out wide to stretch teams that come to press. We need runners in behind. I don’t think we turned their defence once today.

But it’s the same problems we had last season. All very well talking about midfield patterns but when a team steps onto us and make it about a physical game we wilt. It’s very poor.

I don’t think it’s all physical either. Some of this is mental. As Phil Brown said the opening few minutes and santos looking so aloof and off it against Wyke who dominated him sets the tone. Mental as much as physical with this lot. Santos shouldn’t be getting bested by Wyke. Sheehan we know is absolutely useless in these games. Morley far too pedestrian - playing in quicksand. Iredale bottled challenges as did Jones.