When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:17 pm
Nobody wants us shooting every time we're close to the box but we'll not score many without getting a few more off than we are doing.
We're getting plenty off, Harry – we're averaging 16 efforts per league game, and lest anyone think that was toploaded in the opening cakewalks, we had 21 against Wigan and 17 today.

The problem is that we're only averaging 5.16 efforts on target (we've had 4 twice, 5 twice, a 6 and a 7) - so many are either inaccurate or blocked (as accurate shots from distance often are).

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:23 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:17 pm
Nobody wants us shooting every time we're close to the box but we'll not score many without getting a few more off than we are doing.
We're getting plenty off, Harry – we're averaging 16 efforts per league game, and lest anyone think that was toploaded in the opening cakewalks, we had 21 against Wigan and 17 today.

The problem is that we're only averaging 5.16 efforts on target (we've had 4 twice, 5 twice, a 6 and a 7) - so many are either inaccurate or blocked (as accurate shots from distance often are).
Lies, damned lies and statistics :D

We didn't have a shot worthy of the title in the whole of the 2nd half. We were the lowest scorers amongst the top 8 last year? I expect we'll concede more this time around so it still needs addressing.

It was a great win today, another welcome 3 points, a terrific start by the team, some fine individual performances etc it's just our attacking play that gives me slight cause for concern
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:54 pm

I largely agree with BWFC-i.

I thought we were superb for the 20 mins or so after the red until the goal. Got the tempo spot on. Slow into their half, pushed them all the way back, we spent large spells with Rico as our furthest man back, 35 yards from their goal. It meant they never got out and it was constant pressure. But then it was patient but purposive. Working triangles down the right, looking for the underlap and then working it left to Randy in acres of space, though his delivery was mixed. They were absolutely shagged. We were fortunate with the goal itself, but that was coming and well deserved.

I don't think we managed it well until the end though. Think nerves crept in, and it got more direct which suited them.

Thought the replacement two were also very poor. Naturally dropped off holding the lead but against ten men they should have been much more of an out. Jerome at least mitigated by some big headers defensively. Dan was utterly hapless though. In particular the one from the free-kick he somehow lost. But all round woeful. It's a worry that Vic and Dion look so far ahead. We need JDB to stay fit and show his quality or we're very vulnerable, especially given Evatt (pretty much) always changes the front two.

I also thought GT was very good. Sheehan was outstanding, and I think that was largely due to the tweak in how we set up, but GT deserves a lot of credit in alongside him. My thoughts at half-time were how good they both were. GT dropped a little in the second but that's rightly his shirt I think for the next league game.

I'd be very unimpressed if I was a Derby fan. An astronomical amount of money for "set pieces with good players". We got the rub of the green with the penalty and the deflection, but make no mistake we played them off the pitch.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:11 am

Not overly fussed we didn’t go on to get more - that’s pretty much football - unless you are a man city or whatever you don’t just blast teams away by four or five every week. We got our noses in front and couldn’t manage another goal. Some interesting subs but that’s the squad we have now so he has to use it. Surprised Ashworth wasn’t on the bench. Might see that Mathieson lad in the pizza cup?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:35 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:11 am
Not overly fussed we didn’t go on to get more - that’s pretty much football - unless you are a man city or whatever you don’t just blast teams away by four or five every week. We got our noses in front and couldn’t manage another goal. Some interesting subs but that’s the squad we have now so he has to use it. Surprised Ashworth wasn’t on the bench. Might see that Mathieson lad in the pizza cup?
Most have said for months that we need someone else at RWB because surely JDC can't play every game, because if Evatt bringing CMG on at RWB yesterday doesn't scream that we needed another RWB then nothing will.

I know Williams can play on both sides, can Ashworth or is he just left sided ?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:52 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Not overly fussed we didn’t go on to get more - that’s pretty much football - unless you are a man city or whatever you don’t just blast teams away by four or five every week. We got our noses in front and couldn’t manage another goal.
Interesting point on goal margins made me skitter to Soccerstats. Last season Plymouth won 3 by three goals and none by more – in fact they lost 3 by three or more, as many as they won. Ipswich were far more "like it" in that sense - winning 7 by three goals and 6 by four or more. Ipswich were the only team to win more than three games by 4+ goals. Posh won an impressive 8 by three goals but only 1 by more. (For comparison, we won 3 by three and 2 by more.)
officer_dibble wrote:
Some interesting subs but that’s the squad we have now so he has to use it. Surprised Ashworth wasn’t on the bench.
Ashworth was on bench for first four league games (used once). Dropped off at Burton when Bod reappeared; IIRC Evatt said something about wanting different options to change the game. In the event he chose the other two strikers.
officer_dibble wrote:
Might see that Mathieson lad in the pizza cup?
I would be intrigued to see li'l Luke in the Pizza Cup game, but I wonder whether it's more likely in the next game, home to Rags kids. That's in between the home game v Posh and the trip to Vale, never an easy destination and they're currently top-four. That said, of course, this one's in between Derby and Posh, and JDC can't go on forever. Was there a clue in his substitution yesterday?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:53 am

Everyone keeps saying Williams can play both sides - has he done that at other clubs? Felt like an odd sub to make in a tight game being CMG on at rwb but we won so what do I know? I just wonder - there’s something in the Mathieson signing, he’s lost his way but looks on paper to be the most obvious prospect for the first team, so maybe he’ll get some game time soon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:56 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:35 am
Most have said for months that we need someone else at RWB because surely JDC can't play every game, because if Evatt bringing CMG on at RWB yesterday doesn't scream that we needed another RWB then nothing will.

I know Williams can play on both sides, can Ashworth or is he just left sided ?
Heh. I know what you mean re CMG but that is an option against sides who are just sitting in deep – play a winger out wide. (It's why I'd've liked another option, even a kid, on deadline day.)

From what I've read and heard Ashworth can play LWB, DM and LCB (and has even played as an 8 ) but no, not RWB. Randell's flexibility means he might be the more general cover for RWB and we'd have to go with Ashworth or possibly Iredale at LWB. (It's why I'd've liked another option, even a kid, on deadline day.)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:59 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:53 am
Everyone keeps saying Williams can play both sides - has he done that at other clubs? Felt like an odd sub to make in a tight game being CMG on at rwb but we won so what do I know? I just wonder - there’s something in the Mathieson signing, he’s lost his way but looks on paper to be the most obvious prospect for the first team, so maybe he’ll get some game time soon.
Randell per Transfermarkt – not always watertight data, but a reasonable reflection. His longest spell on that side was at Exeter in D4 but he has also played there for Hull (D2) and Wycombe (D3).
Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 09.57.37.png
Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 09.57.37.png (178.59 KiB) Viewed 21455 times
I agree that Matheson might work out to be a first-team player - it was a slight surprise he was named as a B-teamer, but clearly he's happy to knuckle down there and prove himself. Let's see.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:17 am

Looks like we did have rub of the green yesterday as their keeper was wrongly sent off looking at replays. Probably about time to be honest.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:25 am

I think the JDC cover will be a mix of Randy, CMG, Titch and Geth. Geth in the league, but you'd think we'll rest him and muddle through in the cup.

I could see the thinking on CMG yesterday. Stay positive and try to get the third. We'd been permanently camped down their right. Plus you should be able to see out 2-1 against ten and JDC needs a rest. First part didn't really pay off though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:28 am

Brekkie in the garden, three points yesterday, what's not to love?

Oh yeah, he better beat them pseudo-reds next week. :-)

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:17 am
Looks like we did have rub of the green yesterday as their keeper was wrongly sent off looking at replays. Probably about time to be honest.
Keeper blocks a shot onto their player as far as I can tell from the replays.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:02 pm

The issue yesterday was no Iredale. Had he been on the bench then he comes on for JDC, then we have the option of Gethin or Williams on the right and or Iredale in the back 3 or LWB.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:12 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:02 pm
The issue yesterday was no Iredale. Had he been on the bench then he comes on for JDC, then we have the option of Gethin or Williams on the right and or Iredale in the back 3 or LWB.
Ashworth theoretically offers the same, but it's notable that he has been dropped out of the 18 while Forrester has been in every matchday squad (coming on at Burton for Rico and starting both Lge Cup games).

Clearly Evatt thinks Forrester is more ready as a CB (any of the three positions) than Ashworth, and I shan't argue. At the start of the season, with Bodvarsson injured, he could pick both on the bench but now he's leaning toward Forrester – who himself has seen Toal leap past him into the XI just in time to replace Iredale.

What happens when Jack's back is interesting; Toal was widely praised yesterday for his progressive work on the ball, for which he's sometimes been perceived as less than Gethin and Iredale. Especially notable as he was on his slightly less favoured left side.

The Salford game in midweek is a bit of a phony war in that we'll almost certainly see Forrester and Ashworth start, with Ashworth at LWB and the other two CB places decided by who's fittest (or least medically risky) among Rico/Geth/Iredale/Toal. But if Jack's back next week, we have four strong contenders for centre-back and we might start to see some "horses for courses" selection depending on the oppo.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:41 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
He was sent off for a handball but replays shows it hit him in the chest. It looked like at the time he’d saved it but he evidently had not.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:45 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Not sure about that, we had Forrester who could've slotted in for Geth.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:41 pm
Mar wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
He was sent off for a handball but replays shows it hit him in the chest. It looked like at the time he’d saved it but he evidently had not.
Looked it live, but then I noticed Dion didn't appeal at all, just went straight for the rebound and even when that was blocked played on. Not the type to give up a chance to get someone sent off!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:45 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Not sure about that, we had Forrester who could've slotted in for Geth.
...aye, and had we been a defensive team maybe we'd have done that. But we were pushing at home against a low block, so we went for a winger at wingback.

<fastens seatbelt>

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I was wondering whether we would have scored anyway - we had players over and the ball was still in play, with the keeper grounded outside the area. Not sure if the whistle threw Charles for his second effort, a pass would have ended up in a better chance.