Beware of Grecians bearing gifts. Home v Exeter City, 25th Nov. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Beware of Grecians bearing gifts. Home v Exeter City, 25th Nov. 3-0'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:20 am
I'm not getting too carried away at the moment, even though a 7-0 is a thing of beauty. It's still pretty tight across the top three at the moment and the next two league games will give us better clues than us thrashing a team that also has a 9-0 and a 5-0 on its rap sheet.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with 3/6 because that would put some distance between us and one competitor. All 6, I might start to get excited. :-)
Definitely not getting carried away. Winning promotion is a slog. But the way we are playing is lovely right now. That is worth enjoying in the moment. If we keep it up we will be promoted. But that’s the if as ever!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:40 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:20 am
I'm not getting too carried away at the moment, even though a 7-0 is a thing of beauty. It's still pretty tight across the top three at the moment and the next two league games will give us better clues than us thrashing a team that also has a 9-0 and a 5-0 on its rap sheet.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with 3/6 because that would put some distance between us and one competitor. All 6, I might start to get excited. :-)
Definitely not getting carried away. Winning promotion is a slog. But the way we are playing is lovely right now. That is worth enjoying in the moment. If we keep it up we will be promoted. But that’s the if as ever!
Aye. Maghoma has been a revelation for me in the last month. Not always for the full 90, but enough that with him and JDC, we've got some chances to open the low block.I know he's had a couple of ricocheted but that's part and parcel when you sometimes favour chancing it over trying to hit the highest xG spot...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:39 am
dave the minion wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:56 am
I also agree with everything said here - some of the best football I've seen since the halcyon days of Okocha & Youri et al.

Didn't stop the 2 idiots behind me whingeing through the first half hour mind: "this is such sh1t football / we are so bad / don't deserve to be near the top of the league / not seen it this bad for years / Evatt needs to go etc etc etc". If it wasn't so downright annoying it would have been funny. Especially given they'd spent their hard earned money on watching the time on display.

Funnily enough, they were quite quiet in the 2nd half......

Personally I've no problem at all with the way we set up to start. Patient, slow build up play, passing it around and letting the opposition chase lost causes to tire them out, then go for the jugular later on. Works for the team, and works for me
The only issue with the first half hour was we didn’t execute the final ball as well as we did after that.
First half hour was frustrating as we know we can be better than that. That may in large part be down to us not clicking or Exeter putting in a good deal of effort, either way once that first goal went in their heads dropped and our lads seem to be on the same wavelength.

Could've quite easily been 10, Maghoma's effort saved, Iredale almost hitting the top corner, Charles' effort scraping past the post.

Enjoy it while you can. I'm just hoping the players can keep it up.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:35 am

Two draws at Oxford and Portsmouth wouldn't be bad results imo but there's no way Evatt would settle for that at the start. The pressure is on Oxford and Pompey, being the home teams.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:06 pm

Evatt should be praised for getting the results with the injuries. Players coming back and we're looking stronger with the depth.

Not going to get carried away as the summer transfer window was abysmal...

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:09 pm

The quality of most of the goals was breathtakingly high. Thomasson and Charles involvement was telling. If this kind of football continues into January, we will stand to earn millions as a number of our players will be in strong demand from higher up for transfers. Still a month away but be prepared... Charles, Thomasson and Santos, the spine of our team will be attracting a lot of attention. Lets hope the other teams we play leading up to then, don't give us as much room to play as Exeter did, so that the highlight real is not so impressive to those looking on from above. But wow.. we looked so good yesterday.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:38 pm

Well, well, well. Killer instinct and some great football played. They were dire. But we beautifully punished them for it. Everyone played their part and goals from all over the pitch is really encouraging and becoming a big part of our season.

George Thomason. What an improvement. I liked him, but thought he was way down the pecking order. He's gone onto be one of our best players. He's unplayable at the moment. He was always good at receiving the ball and and moving it onto the other wing back, but now he drives us forward, scores goals, creates big chances and is all over the pitch. Him going to Bristol City for a million would have been a travesty when you look at him now and we owe him a debt of gratitude for his loyalty to us.

He's as important as Dion & Rico now. (who were both also excellent)

A thoroughly good day at the office
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:13 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:38 pm
Well, well, well. Killer instinct and some great football played. They were dire. But we beautifully punished them for it. Everyone played their part and goals from all over the pitch is really encouraging and becoming a big part of our season.

George Thomason. What an improvement. I liked him, but thought he was way down the pecking order. He's gone onto be one of our best players. He's unplayable at the moment. He was always good at receiving the ball and and moving it onto the other wing back, but now he drives us forward, scores goals, creates big chances and is all over the pitch. Him going to Bristol City for a million would have been a travesty when you look at him now and we owe him a debt of gratitude for his loyalty to us.

He's as important as Dion & Rico now. (who were both also excellent)

A thoroughly good day at the office
The Thomason we're watching now makes me smile every game. He's rapidly becoming my favourite in the squad.

I hear him compared to McAteer - I get it. But I honestly think he has the ability if he keeps himself together to be a better player than McAteer was. He has more or less got it all. Bar maybe the thing he can't do a lot about which is raw pace. But everything else.....in spades.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:04 pm

∆ There is something incredibly heartwarming about Thomason. Rejected and released, working in a corner shop, hoped he could play semi-pro. Given a chance by a bloke who knew his onions. Then supercharged by a manager who changed his life. He's so open to self-improvement - that story Evatt told (LINK) about how at Wycombe they had a tactical chat during an injury break and two minutes later we'd scored from a suggestion the young man had taken on board. And he clearly loves it here and isn't itching to jump ship.

The latter could be said about most of our biggest assets. Santos the potential van driver is similarly thankful to the manager and knows how important he is here. Dion might have previous of agitating for a move – that's how we got him – but he didn't seem swayed when Stoke were mentioned, although maybe the new contract helped. And most of all, Evatt has continually said he wants to achieve his ambitions here, so I can't see him leaving – unless say we struggle in the Champo without investment and he gets a golden chance elsewhere.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:28 am

I'm similarly thrilled by Thomo. Thought he was 4th choice at best, probably sixth. He's nailed it down, can't remember the last time he was below 8/10, still very young, local, turned down a big move, and got pretty much everything. A revelation.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:04 pm
Given a chance by a bloke who knew his onions.
Being very kind, regardless of how everything else went I suppose this is his legacy.

In the same vein of being kind to former personnel, you could argue the same about Tobias Phoenix who I believe was the one who brought Santos to the club. A scattergun approach with many many duds, no doubt, but bringing in Santos alone probably makes his brief time here a success.