Beware of Grecians bearing gifts. Home v Exeter City, 25th Nov. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Beware of Grecians bearing gifts. Home v Exeter City, 25th Nov. 3-0'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:25 pm

So goes the old saying, well, maybe no gifts, but we'll beware anyhow. Very early thread, but we've been too long without League football due to cancelations and the International interruptions , so...time to speculate on can we continue our run of sparkling form . In this unpredictable "anything can happen and often does" league, pitfalls and banana skins abound, so full attention and ignore The Grecians lowly current position means nothing till we get the points.

Somewhere here then for views and forecasts as they happen in the coming week.

Possibly one of the most famous Grecians, Socrates (yeah, he played for Brazil too :D ) said " "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."--Socrates. so ignore form and concentrate on winning and beware wooden horses. . At it then.. :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Beware of Grecians bearing gifts. Home v Exeter City, 25th Nov. 3-0'clock.

Post by Mar » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:21 am

What a strange season Exeter have had. 5 wins in the first 8, yielding 16 points from a possible 24 maybe them surprise contenders at the top of the table.

Since then, they've had no wins in the league since September 16th and no wins at all since the surprising 1-0 win over Premier League new boys Luton. So that's 10 games without a win, picking up only 1 point in the process.

They've currently got one more game prior to facing us, against Swindon Town in the EFL Trophy, in a dead rubber where they sit bottom of the group after conceding a whopping 9 goals to Reading and 5 goals to Arsenal's U21.

They need a win, and need one badly. What better way to do that than against a mid table league two side who are also playing the dead rubber. It make just be the game that gives them their confidence back.

They're not to be taken lightly, despite their current woes.

In terms of ex-Wanderers, they've got Will Aimson of yesteryear and Yanic Wildschut. Aimson's been a consistent force in the squad whilst Wildschut's been on the periphery, and as proficient as you'd expect.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:13 am

Let's make no bones about it, this is a game we should highlight with a W against it. If we're on it, we could blow them away and we need to make sure we're at it from minute 1. They're down in the dumps, but any side in this league can be dangerous if we don't treat it right.

I'd start with the usual line-up and see if we can introduce Bod after Victor's given their defenders a bit of aggro
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:42 pm

Agreed, we might get some use out of Mendes Gomes as well in this.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:13 am
Let's make no bones about it, this is a game we should highlight with a W against it. If we're on it, we could blow them away and we need to make sure we're at it from minute 1. They're down in the dumps, but any side in this league can be dangerous if we don't treat it right.

I'd start with the usual line-up and see if we can introduce Bod after Victor's given their defenders a bit of aggro
Yup.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:41 pm

Just as a current re-cap, we, having played 16 games, are in joint 2nd/3rd on 35 points
Stevenage are three points behind, but have played 18 games to our 16.
Peterborough, on 31 are 4 points behind us but have played a game more than us.

Exeter have lost four of their last five games. As it stands it appears our to lose, the rest is up to ourselves. :oyea:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:35 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:13 am

100% agree
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:04 am

Just an extra note worthy of consideration. Paris Maghoma and Jack Iredale are currently sat on 4 yellow cards.

I'd suspect that may play into Evatt's thinking when it comes to selection for the Exeter game as should they get suspended they'll likely be a bigger miss against Oxford.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:39 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:04 am
Just an extra note worthy of consideration. Paris Maghoma and Jack Iredale are currently sat on 4 yellow cards.

I'd suspect that may play into Evatt's thinking when it comes to selection for the Exeter game as should they get suspended they'll likely be a bigger miss against Oxford.
Good shout on Maghoma. Not sure Iredale is as much of a worry - possibly 5th choice Centre-back at the mo.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:58 pm

It's certainly a risk, but Maghoma could be key to us unlocking a deep lying defence. Especially at home. He'd be a big miss at Oxford though as the majority of our success could come during quick transitions... Maybe just one to keep an eye on, but I suspect it will definitely come into Evatt's thinking and we may well see him start this weekend on the bench. On if he's needed

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:39 pm
Mar wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:04 am

Good shout on Maghoma. Not sure Iredale is as much of a worry - possibly 5th choice Centre-back at the mo.
Yeah, I saw both on transfermarkt listed on 4 yellows. Didn't want to leave Iredale out as that yellow card scenario could still play out, despite him not being first choice.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:57 pm

Becoming more important by the game is putting chances away. Teams will obviously try to snuff us out, but when we do create them, blazing one into Horwich won't help anybody except the opposition. Good saves and near misses are all part of the entertainment, bad shooting just frustrates. I've been singing the shooting practise hymn for so long I'm boring myself, but one Maghoma effort last game was worthy of a Youtube laugh spot. Come on lads, get on it, you're professionals. :oyea:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:56 pm

Any news on Dion? Went off injured on Monday after a slide tackle and I've not heard anything since. Hopefully no news is good news and expect he'd be back in training today

Presser usually Thursday morning, for Saturday game isn't it?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:05 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:56 pm
Any news on Dion? Went off injured on Monday after a slide tackle and I've not heard anything since. Hopefully no news is good news and expect he'd be back in training today

Presser usually Thursday morning, for Saturday game isn't it?
Didn't see the match but watched his interview after the game, he seemed fine, never mentioned any injury.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:13 am

Well, Exeter won their FLT match against Swindon Town. So they may be somewhat buoyed by the win, thanks to a Wildschut goal (or o.g. depending on reports).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:55 am

Dion seems to be fine and Jon Bod sounds full of confidence in his latest interview with Bolton News:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:44 am

Cue angry people when JDB is on the bench again 2pm Saturday… hope he gets some decent game time but I certainly get the logic in starting Victor still.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:57 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:44 am
Cue angry people when JDB is on the bench again 2pm Saturday… hope he gets some decent game time but I certainly get the logic in starting Victor still.
Agreed, but we could do a reverse of this and try for a couple of early goals with JonBod, then turn Vic loos to antagonise the defence.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:57 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Agreed, but we could do a reverse of this and try for a couple of early goals with JonBod, then turn Vic loos to antagonise the defence.
Doesn't quite work like that/ Bod is much better when more space is available between mid/def and defenders are more tired for him to twist and turn. Vic is the man to tire them out. He presses, backs in, leans on them when they jump. Gives them a bit of a bashing and happy for his teammates to take the credit.

It's a role he's doing well and Bod will get benefits from that

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:42 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:04 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:57 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Doesn't quite work like that/ Bod is much better when more space is available between mid/def and defenders are more tired for him to twist and turn. Vic is the man to tire them out. He presses, backs in, leans on them when they jump. Gives them a bit of a bashing and happy for his teammates to take the credit.

It's a role he's doing well and Bod will get benefits from that
I'd agree with this. Vic's usefulness hasn't resulted in goals or assists but has clearly had an effect on the match. He's missing goal contributions, but aside from that I think the tactic that we're currently deploying is working well, so why change it. Bodvarsson clearly warrants a start, but doing that will unsettle the game plan that is working. Lets stick with what's been working on this good run and have all the players contribute to that plan.