Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 pm
Dec has gone back to Salford, never to return. It's a loan, but then his deal is up.

Had some great moments for us, but glad he's moved on.
He fecked off down the tunnel at oakwell seemingly giving no feck*. Good riddance.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:19 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 pm
Dec has gone back to Salford, never to return. It's a loan, but then his deal is up.

Had some great moments for us, but glad he's moved on.
He fecked off down the tunnel at oakwell seemingly giving no feck*. Good riddance.
One thing we have and mustn't lose is the great togetherness attitude that seems to prevail at the Toughsheet right now. A wave maker is no use to anyone as they upset the equalibrium and it looks like Dec was such. Even the Lone Ranger needed his Tonto and nobody is bigger than the team. Just a view.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:17 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:19 am
One thing we have and mustn't lose is the great togetherness attitude that seems to prevail at the Toughsheet right now. A wave maker is no use to anyone as they upset the equalibrium and it looks like Dec was such. Even the Lone Ranger needed his Tonto and nobody is bigger than the team.
Perhaps no accident that Evatt describes himself as "really relaxed" about outgoings:
What you normally find this time of year is that it can be a harsh reality for managers. You have a group of players which are key to the squad and those who might be rotated, who might have eyes on going elsewhere, but selfishly you want to keep hold of them because they are part of the group you have built. But I have none of that, they all want to be here and are enjoying their football, so I am very relaxed about the situation.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:51 am

Nixon linking us with former PNE midfielder Josh Onomah.

https://www.lovbwfc.com/post/transfer-g ... midfielder

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:29 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:51 am

Free agent since the end of last season? That’s some catch-up to do, particularly at our current throttle.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:06 am

HMX wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:29 am

Free agent since the end of last season? That’s some catch-up to do, particularly at our current throttle.
Aye. I floated his name in summer (and possibly even last January) as an underused player at a local club; we’re getting further and further from his most recent action.

Maybe they’re thinking he can do bits from the bench and work up to a starting role.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:15 am

Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:06 am
HMX wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:29 am

Aye. I floated his name in summer (and possibly even last January) as an underused player at a local club; we’re getting further and further from his most recent action.

Maybe they’re thinking he can do bits from the bench and work up to a starting role.
Would that not be the ideal candidate for B-team involvement?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:30 am

Mar wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:15 am
Would that not be the ideal candidate for B-team involvement?
He's 27 in April but I assume we're allowed an overager or two - hence Tuttey as the player-coach.

The dude played in the Premier League last season, so I'm sure we won't be selling it to him in a Matheson 'build yourself up in the Bs and we'll see" way - but aye, we do have a team playing regularly at what should be a helpfully challenging level.

(PNE signed him from Fulham in January on a six-month contract, so contrary to what I wrote above I won't have mentioned him then.)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:55 am

Chat from Preston fans was they liked him and wanted to keep him but he got ideas above his station and left.

Safe to say that's not worked out for him.

Midfield not a priority for me, but possible they see him as that "too good to turn down" player. Wonder if he'll be after 6 months again...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:10 pm

Done a little more digging.

• Onomah made his Spurs debut aged 17, and was given his first start at 18 against Monaco; asked whether the kid could play for England, Mauricio Pochettino said 'Why not? It's impossible to set the limit for him as he's 18 and is very strong. His quality is amazing and he only needs to work hard and then he'll be fine. He's a special boy, a special player, because of his talent, his potential and his body. His body is powerful and he has quality in his feet."
• But he couldn't break into the Spurs team and was loaned to second-tier Villa for 2017/18, playing 37 times as they reached the play-off final.
• 2018/19: loaned to second tier again, this time to Sheff Wednesday - 15 games before a knee injury.

• Last day of summer 2019 window, he was a makeweight in the deal that took Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham to Spurs. He played 37 times despite knee surgery (his recuperation largely coinciding with Covid shutdown), as Fulham went up via the playoffs - his solo goal at Wembley opening the scoring.
• Played 11 Prem games in 20/21 despite more knee problems, but then Scott Parker left. In the 21/22 Champo season, he played 20 times but dropped out of favour with Marco Silva.
• Onomah almost signed for WBA in summer 2022 but the deal collapsed.

• Last January deadline day, he and Fulham mutually cancelled his contract so he could join one of six clubs (per The Athletic; six Champo clubs, per Pete O'Rourke) chasing him; he chose PNE.
• Ryan Lowe said Onomah had "unquestionable" quality and PNE offered him an extension in summer but the deal broke down; PNE seem to have withdrawn the offer when he didn't accept it.
• He then trained with Stoke and according to some reports was offered a contract but, again, didn't sign – for them or anybody; Sheffield Wednesday were again linked.

Here's what Ghost said about Onomah in summer:
Onomah is really talented, but has been held back from the top level by fitness and his lack of pace (he's by no means slow, he's just one-paced). He sees the game really well and is technically solid enough at most aspects to play anywhere from 6 to 10 (obviously can also play down the left, but that's where the pace issue comes in). He's also built like a brick and will put himself about. His talent level is Premier League, without doubt; he's just struggled to get it onto the pitch consistently.

...should be playing regular football at Championship level. If Onomah's knee was up to it he'd probably be back in the Premier League with Fulham.
Clearly a Champo-level player – if fit and if he signs a contract...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:30 pm

This guy is a very good player, the type that we would need in the championship. I know a couple of PNE fans who really rated him.

Big imposing midfielder, seriously hoping that its more than just speculation. Only concern is why have the likes of West Brom & Stoke turned him down ?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:57 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:30 pm
This guy is a very good player, the type that we would need in the championship. I know a couple of PNE fans who really rated him.

Big imposing midfielder, seriously hoping that its more than just speculation. Only concern is why have the likes of West Brom & Stoke turned him down ?
I think it may be the other way round - he turned them down. Which could also be a worry.

But he did lose a lot of money by cancelling that Fulham contract last January, so it's not just greed.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:25 pm

Onomah in our current system and patterns would be 6'+ Josh Sheehan.

"Mini Mousa" (after Mousa Dembele) would make us a lot more physical in that area. Assuming his knee holds up.

The reason to come here would have to be footballing. He wants to be a key player in a side going for the Premier League and he's said before he's felt like managers didn't value him enough - which wouldn't be the case with Ian.

I can see why people think it's weird being linked to mids at the minute, but the players being linked cover weaknesses that the manager must be aware of. Makes them believable - though that doesn't make them true.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:33 pm

Watching us today against effectively a championship / bottom prem team made me think our next step up for players is more physically imposing upgrades of what we have - the wing backs and one in midfield. He sounds like he fits the bill so makes sense. You upgrade on players when you can on our budget.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:25 pm
Onomah in our current system and patterns would be 6'+ Josh Sheehan.

"Mini Mousa" (after Mousa Dembele) would make us a lot more physical in that area. Assuming his knee holds up.
Interesting perhaps that Josh was notably physical today... not that I buy the "soft" narrative anyway, but (perhaps in absentio Thomasonio) he was our enforcer, almost looking for fights.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:39 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:33 pm
Watching us today against effectively a championship / bottom prem team made me think our next step up for players is more physically imposing upgrades of what we have - the wing backs and one in midfield. He sounds like he fits the bill so makes sense. You upgrade on players when you can on our budget.
The match-ups on set pieces were far from favourable. It was like secondary vs primary at one point, but we lived with them.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:55 pm

Joe Taylor's recall became official today, with all the paperwork done. New loan announcement should follow in close order, you'd imagine.

That would make 3 members of our striking department here thanks to Evatt's mate at Luton, if it happens.

Bodvarsson, Jerome and Taylor. Plus another "forward" in Gomes.

It's nice to have good friends.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:55 pm
Joe Taylor's recall became official today, with all the paperwork done. New loan announcement should follow in close order, you'd imagine.

That would make 3 members of our striking department here thanks to Evatt's mate at Luton, if it happens.

What's the link between Bod and Rob Edwards?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:56 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:51 pm
What's the link between Bod and Rob Edwards?
He coached (and briefly managed) Bod at Wolves.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:55 pm

Is there a link between us and Joe Taylor?