Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:30 pm
TL;DR

No centre halves.
No mids.
Maybe a wing back, but probably not loaning a kid as we have two.
Maybe a striker, possibly a kid on loan.
That's where my head was at, too.

Too quick off the mark - other than, I would look to try and cover both the "maybe's" :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:59 pm
I think running with Forrester, Santos, Toal, JDC and Williams with Ashworth and Matheson only cover for those roles would be too risky for a team wanting to go up. Its almost certain at least one of those first 5 would be injured in part of that time or before it. I agree the issue is signing another permie is difficult for next season but I'd be loaning.....in those areas...or a permie signing at wing back.....
It is risky. Like I say, my ideal is that we sign Wiredu from Fleetwood. He would be imperious in our back three and give us a major new option in midfield. I'd also love to see Placheta rock up on loan.

However, that's more Ipswich than Bolton.

We might find enough cash down the back of the sofa to get a kid on loan for 6 months. I can't see us adding a major wage for 6 months when the lads are only on international duty.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:28 pm
That's where my head was at, too.

Too quick off the mark - other than, I would look to try and cover both the "maybe's" :-)
My ideal would be a more dynamic MJ, a wingback and a striker.

Given that we apparently weren't planning any business, though, that seems unlikely.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:47 pm

Fingers crossed we don't get any critical injuries then! :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:47 pm
Fingers crossed we don't get any critical injuries then! :-)
When we lost Johnston for the season we signed a long term target, who needed development work, and trusted the squad to cover.

I suspect we might do the same with midfield and attack.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 pm

I think I'm slightly more worried with attack....I wouldn't be putting too much money on us, heavens forbid, if we ended up with Bod/Cameron up front - or even Bod/Dan...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm
Like I say, my ideal is that we sign Wiredu from Fleetwood. He would be imperious in our back three and give us a major new option in midfield. I'd also love to see Placheta rock up on loan.

However, that's more Ipswich than Bolton.
Wouldn't be very Ipswich to borrow a player from Norwich :mrgreen:

I remember you enthusing about Placheta before but he's featured in 13 of Norridge's last 17 Champo games and was an unused sub in two more. True, it tends to be 10 minutes off the bench, but as he's a left-sider it's not like we could guarantee him more – and as you infer elsewhere, that pushes out Ashworth, who we've said we're interested in signing permanently but who has really struggled to get any minutes at all – fewer than three games' worth in four months.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:29 pm

Placheta is equally adept on either flank, but I don't actually think he's a realistic target - even on a free in the summer.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:06 pm

Yeah I think we need another wing back now. That’s tonight’s knee jerk signing!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:01 pm

I'd like a midfielder please. Thomo aside, we struggle when shehan isn't on it. Dempsey isn't consistent enough fir me. Happy with Paris, but for me Morley hasn't progressed the last year or so. If we do go up I'd only be confident in Thomo out of the ones we own. For me we need someone really mobile in there that can keep us playing at a good tempo and pick a pass to slip in our <wishfulthinking>new Anelka like striker we're going to sign </wishfulthinking>

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:23 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:01 pm
<wishfulthinking>new Anelka like striker we're going to sign </wishfulthinking>
I do wonder if Bristol Rovers would be willing to part with Aaron Collins now they've moved to this one striker system that doesn't suit him.

He could play in a pairing with any of our forwards and would dramatically improve us.

I know I was banging on about signing him a couple of years ago, but he's still a player who'd thrive under Evatt and is only 26.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:23 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:01 pm
<wishfulthinking>new Anelka like striker we're going to sign </wishfulthinking>
I do wonder if Bristol Rovers would be willing to part with Aaron Collins now they've moved to this one striker system that doesn't suit him.

He could play in a pairing with any of our forwards and would dramatically improve us.

I know I was banging on about signing him a couple of years ago, but he's still a player who'd thrive under Evatt and is only 26.
If he is Anelka like then please feel free to harass Evatt until he signs the chap :mrgreen:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:31 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:26 pm
If he is Anelka like then please feel free to harass Evatt until he signs the chap :mrgreen:
He's that sort. Can beat a man, has genuine pace, sees play, finishes well and has the mentality to constantly try and make things happen. 16 goals and 11 assists in the league last season, which included him having a big dip when he was carry an injury.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:31 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:26 pm
He's that sort. Can beat a man, has genuine pace, sees play, finishes well and has the mentality to constantly try and make things happen. 16 goals and 11 assists in the league last season, which included him having a big dip when he was carry an injury.
Sign him up then!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:02 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:00 pm
Sign him up then!
When Barton was manager he claimed Collins was worth "at least" £5m and they got him to sign a new deal until 2025.

This season he's looked a shadow of himself, though.

If Bristol were open to a deal I'd drive down to get him. I wanted him in on a free when we came up and was appalled we didn't go in for him. I genuinely think we'd have gone up last season if we'd had him in the squad.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:55 pm

Collins is an interesting shout. As you say, Matt Taylor's switched to a 4231 and the 1 appears to be Chris Martin, at least as long as he can stay standing up. Collins can theoretically play in any of that front four but the first-choice 10 appears to be Jevani Brown, and it can't be easy for Collins to find himself deprirotised behind someone who was this year fined £5,000 by the courts for slapping and spitting at a woman outside a nightclub.

Now, we could debate crime, punishment and rehabilitation; Joey Barton, who signed Brown, has his own relevant experience in the area, but new boss Matt 'Not That One' Taylor also seems happy to pick him. He has the right to do so, but Collins might think his face doesn't fit. And Taylor, although he picked Collins at 9 when resting Martin for last midweek's EFL Trophy game, might be happy to raise money for his own signings.

However, whether they would sell, whether we'd buy, whether he'd move, whether he'd be good a division up - and whether BWFC fans would be impressed - are all unknowns...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:55 pm
Collins is an interesting shout. As you say, Matt Taylor's switched to a 4231 and the 1 appears to be Chris Martin, at least as long as he can stay standing up. Collins can theoretically play in any of that front four but the first-choice 10 appears to be Jevani Brown, and it can't be easy for Collins to find himself deprirotised behind someone who was this year fined £5,000 by the courts for slapping and spitting at a woman outside a nightclub.

Now, we could debate crime, punishment and rehabilitation; Joey Barton, who signed Brown, has his own relevant experience in the area, but new boss Matt 'Not That One' Taylor also seems happy to pick him. He has the right to do so, but Collins might think his face doesn't fit. And Taylor, although he picked Collins at 9 when resting Martin for last midweek's EFL Trophy game, might be happy to raise money for his own signings.

However, whether they would sell, whether we'd buy, whether he'd move, whether he'd be good a division up - and whether BWFC fans would be impressed - are all unknowns...
Barton signing Brown was so on-brand it hurt. Barton, who definitely didn't kick his wife in the head after throwing her to the floor and also definitely didn't have someone threaten to "abuse" her unless she gave false testimony to to police...that Joey Barton.

Regardless, I'm happy to stick my neck out on this one. Collins would light up this division in a white shirt and he'd also cut the mustard a league up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:34 pm

He's the one who was at forest green right? He looked unbelievable in L2 and has obviously done it here. Pretty sure every time I see him there he was playing off the left though obviously did will at 9 for Bristol Rovers.

Would get us more towards having both 352 and 343 as options.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:34 pm
He's the one who was at forest green right? He looked unbelievable in L2 and has obviously done it here. Pretty sure every time I see him there he was playing off the left though obviously did will at 9 for Bristol Rovers.

Would get us more towards having both 352 and 343 as options.
Yes, him.

In my efforts to control my waffling about footy, I'll just say that it's great Evatt saying "There's more to come from this group", but other coaches are also improving their players AND they will add in January to kick on.

I doubt John Mousinho is looking at his squad thinking "perfect" and leaving it at that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:48 pm

Ghost - your "waffling about football" is one of the reasons I return to this site. Beats reading the news.

I must report though that perhaps in an effort to p!ss you off, Matt Taylor picked Aaron Collins last night at Crewe (in the FA Cup) – and they were 4-0 up just after the hour before the Alex "made the scoreline respectable" with a couple of consolations. Taylor tried a back three, with John Marquis backed up by Collins and Antony Evans. Our boy didn't score or assist any, but he played the full 90 - Marquis being subbed late on for Jevani Brown, presumably as the old man tired and Taylor assessed his partnership options.

That said, the local-press minute-by-minute report only mentioned him once – when he claimed a penalty just before Crewe scored – after a 7th-minute effort flashed well wide. He's also only mentioned in passing in the post-match "things we learned" analysis, the writer being much more impressed with Evans. Collins got a 7/10 though - "The forward may get criticised for going another game without a goal but his defensive work-rate certainly helped the cause, particularly towards the end."

FYI they reverted to a back four after the break, due to subs for injuries and precautions.