Seconds out, Round Four. V Blackpool away Tues, 30th Jan. 7-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Seconds out, Round Four. V Blackpool away Tues, 30th Jan. 7-0'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:28 pm

For what is grandly Titled the "Football League Trophy", the battle weary Whites rise up and head locally on a mere 17 mile trip to battle for another cup third round encounter come Wednesday. The "Owd Reds" as they are known in Accrington, will surely be well up for a chance to put one over on their Lancs neighbours, and it would be a real feather in their wooly hats to see us off, so how serious are we taking this one? . Personally, I'd love a super season where we win everything, but in terms of priorities...? We're almost into Monday and time's flying, so here's hoping the lads got an hour or two's kip from on the way home from Luton.

At it then.. :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Seconds out, Round three. V Accringston away Wed, 10th Jan 7-30

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:52 pm

Everything is a priority now. The money from the Trophy might not seem much, but it adds up.

Without the trophy win last season we'd not have been able to afford a new pitch. Wait, I mean we'd not have been able to afford heavy investment in...oh, no. Got it, we'd not have had the £1m+ it's obviously cost to put some new carpets in the premium zones.

Imagine how much money we'll save the owners when we win the treble (FA Cup, Trophy and League One title). They might even get a dividends payment.

The fact is this competition is winnable and offers 7 figures in prize money, TV and ticket sales once all the smoke clears. Add on that everyone gets a great day out at Wembley and it's a winner.

I'm really looking forward to the match, too. Would love to see some of the youngsters get involved. We had a 16-year-old on the bench at Luton. He'd remember his debut for the rest of his life if he got off the bench at Accy.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:59 pm

Charles and the two wing backs could do with a rest…
Last edited by officer_dibble on Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:06 pm

Starts for Coleman, Matheson, Ashworth, Morley and Bod please.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:32 am

Yeah playing Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday is really not ideal.

I think when you look at the options we have for rotating the squad the need for some reinforcements this window is clear. With Geth gone and Evatt seemingly unwilling to use youngsters, the likes of JDC are basically going to be forced to play every game, and if we stay in both cups we're going to have a lot of games.

I want us to win every match, but if you gave me the choice of winning on Weds or winning the replay vs Luton then I'd pick the latter every time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:48 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:32 am
Yeah playing Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday is really not ideal.

I think when you look at the options we have for rotating the squad the need for some reinforcements this window is clear. With Geth gone and Evatt seemingly unwilling to use youngsters, the likes of JDC are basically going to be forced to play every game, and if we stay in both cups we're going to have a lot of games.

I want us to win every match, but if you gave me the choice of winning on Weds or winning the replay vs Luton then I'd pick the latter every time.
I see no reason why Matheson can't play this one. And Ashworth.

Entirely agree about the need to strengthen in some areas this window but one of the problems is we have players Evatt seemingly doesn't want to play.

The B team model (which I've long questioned) doesn't work if some of those players can't fill out a squad for these EFL trophy games and indeed ones who have broken through like Luke Matheson can't play. Ones on loan fine - they are developing.

But the problem is that we need to utilise the squad better. If JDC breaks down and is out for a long time as it stands we'd have to put Matheson in anyway. So it makes sense to play him.

Nobody will shed many tears if we lose to Accrington. Yes a shame. But its small fry compared to the league and FA Cup. And whilst another Wembley trip would be 'nice' I feel leaving that memory as 34,000 Bolton fans celebrating in the sunshine and having the best day in years for now is probably better than taking say 24K down and lose to Wigan or whatever.....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:13 am

The B team is in its' 2nd season and we've basically just had to fill it with anybody for the first 12-18 months of it to get teams on the pitch

It is a work in progress

We have though, had numerous players make 1st team appearances in various competitions and a number of them go on loan moves to a high standard of league. So that is very encouraging
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:48 am
Nobody will shed many tears if we lose to Accrington.
I've never wanted us to lose to anyone since 1949. It's a Bolton thing... :twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nobody will shed many tears if we lose to Accrington.
I've never wanted us to lose to anyone since 1949. It's a Bolton thing... :twisted:
Nobody wants to lose. But it’s just probably lower priority than anything else.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 pm

For me, Matheson has played enough men’s football to be considered an option anyway - he is 21 isn’t he? I’m fairly certain Williams will be rested. Charles is the one for me…started every game so far in this period. Appreciate he gets subbed but don’t be breaking him…

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I see no reason why Matheson can't play this one. And Ashworth.
I completely agree, and I'd go a little further. If Ashworth and Matheson aren't deemed suitable to play in this minor-cup game against fourth-division opposition, they aren't worthy of counting as squad depth for the league campaign. Which means we definitely need more wingbacks this month as a worrying priority.

(Cover from Iredale and Jones? Perhaps. But would you want that for half a season?)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:27 pm

Coleman

Forrester Toal Iredale

Morley

Matheson Dempsey Thomason Ashworth

Jerome JDB

I’d likewise be concerned if Matheson and Ashworth aren’t starting this one.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:20 pm
I completely agree, and I'd go a little further. If Ashworth and Matheson aren't deemed suitable to play in this minor-cup game against fourth-division opposition, they aren't worthy of counting as squad depth for the league campaign. Which means we definitely need more wingbacks this month as a worrying priority.

(Cover from Iredale and Jones? Perhaps. But would you want that for half a season?)
I'm going to make a noise like a broken accordion over thing one and add my "Eeeeeeeeeeeee" to the mix.

If the medical lot say players like Cogley can reliably play 180 minutes a week with no ill effects then you have to trust that. Yes it increases his risk of an impact injury, but if that's all he does he can play as much as he likes.

Personally I'd like to see him get Wednesday night off, though. I'd also like to see us sign competition over on that side and get Matheson on loan so he can play every week.

I really don't think this game defines the BWFC careers of two youngsters, but I do think they should be getting minutes. Matheson has played in this comp before and not shamed himself. Ashworth played 6 months at a higher level than Accy and was so impressive we signed him, Get minutes into them. If I were those players I'd be knocking on Evatt's door demanding to know what was going on if I didn't get pitch time.

The fact the B Team is even putting players into contention after 18 months is a vindication of the early stages of the project. First team players going into the B Team and asking lads to move up to the senior group tells you it's working and that everyone on that side of the business sees it. This is further along than I expected us to be at this stage.

Here's to a functional football department.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:47 pm

I'm going to make a noise like a broken accordion over thing one and add my "Eeeeeeeeeeeee" to the mix.

If the medical lot say players like Cogley can reliably play 180 minutes a week with no ill effects then you have to trust that. Yes it increases his risk of an impact injury, but if that's all he does he can play as much as he likes.

Personally I'd like to see him get Wednesday night off, though. I'd also like to see us sign competition over on that side and get Matheson on loan so he can play every week.

I really don't think this game defines the BWFC careers of two youngsters, but I do think they should be getting minutes. Matheson has played in this comp before and not shamed himself. Ashworth played 6 months at a higher level than Accy and was so impressive we signed him, Get minutes into them. If I were those players I'd be knocking on Evatt's door demanding to know what was going on if I didn't get pitch time.

The fact the B Team is even putting players into contention after 18 months is a vindication of the early stages of the project. First team players going into the B Team and asking lads to move up to the senior group tells you it's working and that everyone on that side of the business sees it. This is further along than I expected us to be at this stage.

If they ignore decades of sports science research maybe. Muscle and joint injury risk increases with use. And increases with shorter rest periods between use.

But we know that repeated action without appropriate rest increases injury risk. A player having (maybe) an inherently lower injury risk and (maybe) a faster muscle recovery doesn't change the fact that you are taking a greater risk regardless.

And the maybe's aren't entirely measurable either. So its partially an unknown risk.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:21 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:47 pm

On the bold – yes to this. I wasn't saying that if they don't play at Accy they should be put up against a wall and shot; I was saying that Evatt etc clearly didn't trust them enough, and thus it would be fallacious to claim they were "cover" except in an emergency.

On Cogley – perhaps he can physically play every minute, but would be a very strong claim to say that doing so wouldn't affect his performances. There's wide agreement that he started very well but has trailed off a bit. He still seems by the eye test (we don't have the stats) to be putting in the yards, but his "end product" has tailed off and yesterday I thought he often wasted possession, which is a bigger problem when you only have a third of it against a team from two divisions above.

On Matheson – there will be limitations in his game for what we need from a wingback, but it's hard to say from 50-odd minutes of sub appearances. As you say, a loan might do him good; in this instance I can see that we might want to train him up in The Bolton Way but really, if he's not ready to sub in at Accy, then when?

The Bs is a noble, sensible and fiscally vital concern. Ashworth wasn't signed for the Bs, though, and he's currently played a shade under six hours of first-team football. He'd have had more but for ill-timed injury and call-ups, but clearly he needs proper time to show what he can do. We're supposed to be giving him a contract this summer...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:17 pm
If they ignore decades of sports science research maybe. Muscle and joint injury risk increases with use. And increases with shorter rest periods between use.

But we know that repeated action without appropriate rest increases injury risk. A player having (maybe) an inherently lower injury risk and (maybe) a faster muscle recovery doesn't change the fact that you are taking a greater risk regardless.

And the maybe's aren't entirely measurable either. So its partially an unknown risk.
I'd assume the qualified medical professionals know better than any of us here. You may have genuine expertise (I've no clue as to your background) in medicine and if so I'll take that. I don't. When it comes to the actual science I leave it to the experts.

If the medical department have no concerns about Cogley I have to trust that. Evatt says he's a medical marvel, "An energiser bunny" was one term I think. We just replaced several staff in there to lift that department and hopefully we've hired well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:40 pm

Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:21 pm
The Bs is a noble, sensible and fiscally vital concern. Ashworth wasn't signed for the Bs, though, and he's currently played a shade under six hours of first-team football. He'd have had more but for ill-timed injury and call-ups, but clearly he needs proper time to show what he can do. We're supposed to be giving him a contract this summer...
Again, I agree here.

If we believe he's at B Team level that both praise and criticism. He had an excellent last 6 months of the prior season, so if that's the level of the Bs then great. Alongside that, if he's only at the level of our B Team then he needs work.

He should start on Wednesday. If we don't think he's going to get minutes this season he should go back for the good of his career.

Young Beck is proof that doesn't always make someone a poor player. He's gone to Scotland and returned to Liverpool having been the best leftback in that league for 6 months. Klopp now says he will get his chance covering their injury issues on the left.

Evatt's all about players playing his football how he wants it played. That's especially hard on young lads and some just won't adapt quickly enough.

Ashworth appears to be physically and technically of the required level. So I assume it's that tactical aspect that has him well behind a group of senior pros who have all been at the club longer than he has. Ala Forrester - who looks like a super talent when he plays.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:31 pm

Yeah, fair. But if we want Ashworth to improve in team patterns, it might help to give him more minutes than the laughable scraps we've been giving him lately. In August and September we gave him a couple of starts and a 20-minute runout but since then he's been brought on in minute 92, 86, 63, 66, 0 (EFLT start v Vale), 88, 91 and 93.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:17 pm

I'd assume the qualified medical professionals know better than any of us here. You may have genuine expertise (I've no clue as to your background) in medicine and if so I'll take that. I don't. When it comes to the actual science I leave it to the experts.

If the medical department have no concerns about Cogley I have to trust that. Evatt says he's a medical marvel, "An energiser bunny" was one term I think. We just replaced several staff in there to lift that department and hopefully we've hired well.
You can’t measure ‘medical concerns’. You can risk assess some of this and it may be that Cogley is lower risk. But the point I’m making is not that they don’t know what they are doing but more that regardless of the situation it is lower risk to afford some rest periods and therefore it likely comes down more to a football decision than anything else.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:40 pm
You can’t measure ‘medical concerns’. You can risk assess some of this and it may be that Cogley is lower risk. But the point I’m making is not that they don’t know what they are doing but more that regardless of the situation it is lower risk to afford some rest periods and therefore it likely comes down more to a football decision than anything else.
All risk assessments in football are ultimately football decisions. It's very rare that a medical department will simply say "No, he's not playing." However, it's also unlikely we're playing him if a significant advisory has been given.