Choose the matchday music

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Choose the matchday music

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:32 pm

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Choose the matchday music

Post by dave the minion » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:00 pm

Heard Iles discussing this on his podcast, saying there's been "noise" (or actually, lack of...) around the crown about the atmosphere at times at the Reebok. They were citing the flat atmosphere against Burton as a prime example...

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to fix. For me, its less about the music and stuff like that, and more around the opposition - the reason it was flat last week I think is because Burton came for a draw, started time wasting from the first few minutes, offered nothing of their own to the game, and only had 100-odd fans.

Its no wonder the crowd went flat - we could tell what sort of game it was going to be from the off.

Now I know we can't choose our opposition, but the refs could step up and put a stop to the stupid time-wasting efforts from the get-go.

I suspect that would have a bigger impact that choosing what song we can barely hear over the crappy sound system!!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:19 pm

I'd agree with that.

It's perhaps no-one's fault but it's difficult create an atmosphere when our high-possession style of play comes up against an opposition content to sit deep and close the space.

I think also that things like this are best left to develop organically. Any attempt to formally foster enthusiasm just feels weird.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:21 pm

And it might simply be a reflection of me getting older, but my main request now would be for us to just turn it down a bit.

It's bloody deafening before kick-off these days. :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:32 pm

Have my own views, but went for Wanderer by Dion.

It's got the club name in it, it's sung by our leading scorer and even my kids can sing it.

Fairly easy choice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:38 pm

Went for campione 2000 like the good old days. I really am not keen on gimmicky stuff and if anyone votes for the wolves song they want stringing up.

I don’t think the matchday experience does a lot to bring about atmosphere. But I think the more you try and build atmosphere the less likely it is to happen.

Feels like there could be more done to get the crowd going and some of that comes down to pre match build up.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:12 pm

I went for 633 Squadron. Noticable from the centre circle that, if we finish with Thunderstruck before the teams emerge and 633 starts up, there's an audible frisson of (seems to me to be) excitement that ripples round the stadium.

Like to keep Thunderstruck on the playlist though. I like that one.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:16 pm

633 Squadron and Campione 2000 pre-kick off, and The Wanderer after the final whistle blows on a win feels right to me.

Just as long as we don't contemplate bringing back goal music.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:19 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:00 pm
I suspect that would have a bigger impact that choosing what song we can barely hear over the crappy sound system!!
nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:21 pm
it might simply be a reflection of me getting older, but my main request now would be for us to just turn it down a bit.

Interestingly opposing views… :D

I dunno, I get that it won’t make every game like the Yellow Wall at Dortmund, and I get that fans will get nervy if someone parks the bus. But it’s “control the controllables” and “extra 1%” stuff. And it’s also allowing the fans a say, and that’s usually a good thing…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:19 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:00 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:21 pm
it might simply be a reflection of me getting older, but my main request now would be for us to just turn it down a bit.

Interestingly opposing views… :D

I dunno, I get that it won’t make every game like the Yellow Wall at Dortmund, and I get that fans will get nervy if someone parks the bus. But it’s “control the controllables” and “extra 1%” stuff. And it’s also allowing the fans a say, and that’s usually a good thing…
Democracy usually ends in disappointment! :wink:

Which have you gone for?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:48 pm
And it’s also allowing the fans a say, and that’s usually a good thing…

Which have you gone for?
Ha! It can do, but while I'm not a fan of every Churchill quote and attitude, I'm with him on the one he popularised about democracy being "the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried"...

And no, I haven't voted; I've conscientiously abstained on the grounds I don't go to very many home games at all. I'll let those who do so decide what should happen. 🫡

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:15 pm

Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which have you gone for?
Ha! It can do, but while I'm not a fan of every Churchill quote and attitude, I'm with him on the one he popularised about democracy being "the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried"...

And no, I haven't voted; I've conscientiously abstained on the grounds I don't go to very many home games at all. I'll let those who do so decide what should happen. 🫡
Nah mate, if people like you don’t vote we will end up with the bloody wolves song.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which have you gone for?

Nah mate, if people like you don’t vote we will end up with the bloody wolves song.
:D

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which have you gone for?

There's already quite a few of the younger generation on social media claiming to favour it.

It's making me nervous.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:29 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which have you gone for?

There's already quite a few of the younger generation on social media claiming to favour it.

It's making me nervous.

I still cringe when I think of the embarrassing light show that accompanied it when we played at Hillsborough last season!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:10 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but having never visited Molineux, which one is the Wolves song...?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:21 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:10 pm
Forgive my ignorance, but having never visited Molineux, which one is the Wolves song...?

Hi Ho Silver Lining. There’s a few that play it nowadays Tbf.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:26 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Hi ho etc etc.

"Hi 'o, Wolver'ampton..." :shock:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:32 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:21 pm
truewhite15 wrote:

Hi Ho Silver Lining. There’s a few that play it nowadays Tbf.
Ta muchly. And to you, Ghost.

Yeah, I'd rather have something that's uniquely "ours". Or at the least that not every other f*cker plays. Excruciatingly embarrassing during that short period when we walked out to Neil Diamond and had an entire away end up and singing "so good, so good, so good"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:43 pm

Wolves have used it a long time - it’s far far too heavily associated with them to even consider it. Would be a complete embarrassment.

But the thing is that we don’t have anything obvious beyond the historic stuff we used and the wanderer but that feels more post win than it does tub thumping music to get the fans going pre match.

Tony Christie feels too much from another distant football era - brings great memories but it was also fairly fleetingly used.

Leaves us with Campione or squadron I suspect but the kids voting for a wolves song is concerning!