South to East (London, that is) Leyton Orient away Sat 20th Jan 3-0'clock..

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

South to East (London, that is) Leyton Orient away Sat 20th Jan 3-0'clock..

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:00 am

With the thermometers reading in the minus scale, a tough fixture ahead for the Super Whites come Saturday. "Illness and injury" worries, claim rumours from the Toughsheet chronicle, but is this a genuine worry or a little gamesmanship? Quien sabe? (who knows). On the back of a scintillating display of good football front to back against Luton, can we keep surging forward and upward? Three wins, one draw and a loss out of five are the score for Leyton, sixteen points adrift of us in the League, but form books are notoriously unfaithful guides at times, so beware the bananas. Up and at the Orientals then...A 2-0 win? :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: South to East (London, that is) Leyton Orient away Sat 20th Jan 3-0'clock..

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:12 am

We will, in point of fact, shit 'em.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:32 am

Massive game. I fear a bit for it. Feels like the sort of game where you can say ‘that’s the difference between automatics and not’.

Go down there after a midweek with injuries and illness - I suspect this result will tell us an awful lot about our chances going forward.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:32 am
Massive game. I fear a bit for it. Feels like the sort of game where you can say ‘that’s the difference between automatics and not’.

Go down there after a midweek with injuries and illness - I suspect this result will tell us an awful lot about our chances going forward.

Gee, I just love positivity. :oyea:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:39 am

If we win it, the next one will be the big bear-trap...

Just keep winning.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:46 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:39 am

Just keep winning.
Seconded, but three of the next four are away, so let's tread carefully. We are where we are on merit so be not afraid. The elephant will be watching our backs. :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:23 pm

We started "massive, must-win" games about this time last season. It's almost a given as the number of games decreases. Reality is, that a loss in August is still worth no points, like a loss in January.

Team should take encouragement that they weren't trollied off the park v Luton and a draw wouldn't have flattered us. Whereas in previous years (thinking say that game v Villa in Aug 22 in the EFL), there looked to be a much bigger gap, but we had 9 different players out on Tuesday, than Aug 22. Only Ric and Dion were a match.

Onwards!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 pm

Hopefully Evatt is just trolling Wellens with his injury and illness comments, but if he’s not, then I really hope we’re not adding Toal or Santos to a (seemingly) crocked Forrester, because otherwise I’d be very concerned.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:13 pm

Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:39 am

Just keep winning.
Losing a game in isolation doesn’t mean that much. Many probably thought our defeat and Portsmouth was significant in the battle between us, but look how things have gone since. We’ll lose some between now and the end of the season, we just have to win enough of the other games. If we’re consistently picking up 12pts every 6 games we’ll be there or thereabouts. What will kill us is a prolonged bad run like Portsmouth are on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

How does a game when you're coming off a massive cup game and suffering from a bout of illness tell you an awful lot about our chances going forward? Would seem to be the least indicative game possible.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

How does a game when you're coming off a massive cup game and suffering from a bout of illness tell you an awful lot about our chances going forward? Would seem to be the least indicative game possible.
Not if we win :mrgreen:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:02 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:56 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not if we win :mrgreen:
No, then there'll be something about Leyton Orient being crap and it not telling us anything meaningful.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:28 pm

Big game this.

From the off please lads.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:19 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:28 pm
Big game this.

From the off please lads.
We've often taken 15-20 minutes to warm up.

You do feel that would be lethal this time.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:02 pm

Closest boozer, The Coach and Horses, is home fans only from memory. Over the road from that is a Scottish-ran cafe called Deeney's, who do a superb (if alarmingly overpriced) fried breakfast for those so inclined.

After your bacon, walk up the A112 (High Road Leyton), past the cricket ground, and you woll reach Leyton Midland Road Station in five or so minutes. Under the arches you'll find a nice microbrewery called Gravity Well who serve some lovely stuff.

Five minutes further up, opposite big tesco, you'll reach the King William IV, which is another hearty recommendation.

Going the other way from the ground on the main road is the Leyton Technical, which sadly from a Google seems hitherto out of action. Its an old council building I believe, which was turned into a social area including a bar during the 2012 Olympic redevelopment. It proved so popular the bar stayed. Until now, it seems.

4-0.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm

Forrester is out for at least 5-6 weeks.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm
Ah, tits. I'm guessing that means we borrow an RCB/RWB rather than an attacking RWB.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:15 pm

Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:12 pm
Ah, tits. I'm guessing that means we borrow an RCB/RWB rather than an attacking RWB.
I'd again suggest Sarpong-Wiredu, but Fleetwood have somehow persuaded him to sign a new deal so he won't move this month.

The unmentioned trade-off for them is this one includes a release clause if they get relegated. So he will be off in the summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:19 pm

“Will is out for a few weeks, which is obviously not ideal while Geth is away, so we might have to change some of our transfer plans. It is something we are just going to have to deal with."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... jury-blow/

If I read this right, Adeboyejo was ill on Tuesday. Some performance, then. He, Paris (also ill) and Randell all expected to be fit for Orient, as is Demps, whose hammy was a little tight on Tue - wondered why he stayed benched when Paris came off.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm
And I knew it as soon as the ‘he has a hamstring thing we don’t think it’s much but he needs a scan’ line was trotted out. It was obvious.

Clearly we need some defenders in this window and urgently. I feel that we have left ourselves too light in the wing back areas and consequently stretched across the back and it’s coming to bite us.

Two weeks left thankfully but we need a couple in at the back now.