Backs to Hadrian's Wall...Down to Bare Bones Away at Carlisle - Sat, 27th Jan. 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Backs to Hadrian's Wall...Down to Bare Bones Away at Carlisle - Sat, 27th Jan. 3pm

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:14 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:11 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:18 pm
I wasn't getting off that couch to comment till it was done. 4-1 sounds dominant, but it was deserved. Carlisle weren't so hot, but they didn't lie down all game. All in all, great win. Love the look of the new lad, but Sheehan was M.O.T.M for me. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: Thanks for the Couch again D.J.B.

ae:) ae:)
Yes, big thanks for the couch (I'm a relative newcomer to the couch this season, but boy is it comfy...)

Particularly like the little "The Wanderer" sticker on the bottom right of the window. Nice touch...
It's a dirty mark I just can't scrub off. :lol: :lol:

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Backs to Hadrian's Wall...Down to Bare Bones Away at Carlisle - Sat, 27th Jan. 3pm

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 pm

Once Carlisle scored, and it was a beautifully taken one (as I understand it: the same guy who scored a hat-trick at the Reebok), we sang We Are… relentlessly for almost the remainder of the half. It occurred to me how much I love that chant. We’ve not been blessed with witty, wordy ones, but that chant dominates a ground and shuts all else out. In that period, we gained confidence and absolute control. Perhaps why our loyal and copious and sodden away following are so integral to our form and, at home, nerves set in. Inevitable, but interestingly controllable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:26 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 pm
Once Carlisle scored, and it was a beautifully taken one (as I understand it: the same guy who scored a hat-trick at the Reebok), we sang We Are… relentlessly for almost the remainder of the half. It occurred to me how much I love that chant. We’ve not been blessed with witty, wordy ones, but that chant dominates a ground and shuts all else out. In that period, we gained confidence and absolute control. Perhaps why our loyal and copious and sodden away following are so integral to our form and, at home, nerves set in. Inevitable, but interestingly controllable.
Well done to the travelling fans. The manager and players always mention how much that support means. And I think Ogbeta got it straight away 😁

The home/away dichotomy is interesting. I think all clubs have it to some extent - the travelling fans really are the hardcore - but some get the home atmosphere better than others. I’m glad to see we are trying that, let’s hope it works.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:31 pm

I love these post-win on-field videos.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Somethings in football are pure joy and Ogbeta’s reaction when he scored and his huge beaming smile at the end (in video DSB has just shared) are that.

Clearly delighted to be here and it shows.

I really like that enthusiasm and joy being so evident.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 pm
Somethings in football are pure joy and Ogbeta’s reaction when he scored and his huge beaming smile at the end (in video DSB has just shared) are that.

Amen to that, my friend. Is it dusty in here? Someone cutting onions?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:42 pm

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

There is also a video doing the rounds showing Maghoma giving it to the home crowd after we scored our third goal…

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

There is also a video doing the rounds showing Maghoma giving it to the home crowd after we scored our third goal…
This one? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:30 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

This one? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:32 pm

I like the blend of heartwarming (Bax, Oggy) and shithousing (Demps, Paris). That record-breaking Todd side had both….

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:44 pm

Last post tonight is for the travelling fans; Feeeeeweeeeenomminallll :pray:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:09 am

Bax is some signing. How do you replace a future England number one? But he's come in, perfect attitude, talented and just been so competent, and seems a good egg to boot.

And we thought Evatt couldn't pick keepers :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:23 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:51 pm
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:47 pm
Five extra minutes? Some of us have to check out of a hotel on the hour

Posh 0-0 at HT.
Paying by the hour? Isn't that what .....

:lol:

edit: on the hour. Got you. lol.
:mrgreen: missed this at the time….

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:26 am

Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:23 am
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:51 pm
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:47 pm
Five extra minutes? Some of us have to check out of a hotel on the hour

Posh 0-0 at HT.
Paying by the hour? Isn't that what .....

:lol:

edit: on the hour. Got you. lol.
:mrgreen: missed this at the time….
When one of their lads (Moxon?) was getting treatment some wags in the seated area were heckling the ref using the train timetable.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:09 am

So, slightly more composed thoughts after the elation of yesterday.

For me, Bod has now broken his duck. Lovely finish that should have stood and he he generally looked dangerous. So that's one issue chalked off.

Carlos came on and showed what he offers. Sheehanesque turning circle, ability to shift on either foot and real work rate off the ball. Again, chalk any sharpness concerns there off. He won't be great in every game, but he's ready for some football.

Ashworth is a player at League One level. Raw as hell and loads to work on, but a player. Another issue that's not an issue.

We didn't have Thommo and we still largely won the midfield battle, a lot of which was thanks to Vic stepping back and a defender stepping up as needed. Can we cope in a scrap without our new talisman? Yes. Chalk it off.

Can we win if Charles is out of form? Well, he's been off it for a few now and the answer seems to be that yes we can. Chalk it off.

We have some really horrible fixtures down the line and we're miles off being promoted with 19 games to go, but various issues you could point to as "We won't go up if we don't fix this..." are melting away. New minor concerns are Charles' dip and Santos looking (purely from a pitch view) like he's carrying a calf issue.

It's now all about recruitment. This group is fantastic. It still needs help. Can we get an impactful striker in? Can we sure up the rickety bits?

Really excited for the cup game and if we do what's needed in the market I'll back us all day to have a proper go at the autos until the end of the season.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:45 am

Yes to all this. Quality replacements will always be welcome, but there's a sense that the existing bunch are pulling tighter together to see us through the current difficult patch (in terms of absentees/fixture congestion etc).

Love all those videos posted above - amazing how Oggy seems to be welcomed into the group so well after just signing less than 24 hours before. CMG giving it large with the others despite only being back in the country a few days.

Also noticed at the end Jerome was the one gesturing to the team to go over an applaud the trvalleing fans - little things like that are where he shows his worth - important to acknowledge the fans for their support, but equally as important for the players to enjoy the attention as well. Good man.

Don't want to get carried away - and lets see where we end the season - but with a full compliment back up to speed, we are a hell of a team......

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:47 am

Oxford vs Portsmouth on Tuesday will be interesting
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:10 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:47 am
Oxford vs Portsmouth on Tuesday will be interesting
Oxford are in such a decline, can't see anything other than a Pompey win.

Dead cert home win.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:49 am

I’m not sure how to post an image, but there’s a hilarious error on Port Vale’s post about the fan who entered the pitch. Worth searching up.

Always check your work.