Wandering, Why come back home? Bolton v Wycombe - 13th Feb 2024 19:45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wandering, Why come back home? Bolton v Wycombe - 13th Feb 2024 19:45pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:11 pm

Evo update on three players who won't play tomorrow.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -williams/
Rico is probably more positive. He has been back out on the grass today (Monday). For us, it is making sure that we guard ourselves against re-injury. We have to be mindful and cautious of the bigger picture and not try to push the button too soon. I think this week will be too soon and we are more hopeful of next week, but we will see how he gets on. He has been great today on the grass.

Randell Williams is back on the grass again, stepping up his rehabilitation. He is probably a couple of weeks away as well.

Nathan, I will always be honest and last week was a strange week. The injury that he got is more of a boxer’s injury, which is an injury to his wrist. It is a torn ligament in his wrist and Nathan wanted to play on, that is the first thing I have to say. He wanted to brave it, strap up and go again.

The pain and swelling didn’t reduce like we thought it would and we have had a bit of a re-think. We are going to give it some time to settle and try to heal that ligament. We want him to be fit and healthy, that is the most important thing. We need to be confident that he is fit enough to be Nathan Baxter and do the job, and that is also important here. We trust Joel, he was fine on Saturday and there were no issues there.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:30 pm

Interesting comments there from Evatt.

I thought Williams was out for a lot longer than that, but being a couple of weeks away would put him back for March which would see us blessed with 3 LWB's.

Can't see Rico playing a part tomorrow, so Saturday seems sensible.

As for Baxter, any injury to him would've been problematic. I'm hoping Coleman can settle down somewhat as he's appearing a tad erratic. Made some decent saves and certain seems reasonable in net, but panic levels could do with alleviating somewhat. Nervousness is a little prevalent.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:37 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:30 pm
I thought Williams was out for a lot longer than that, but being a couple of weeks away would put him back for March which would see us blessed with 3 LWB's.
Aye, that was a pleasant surprise. He wouldn't just give us a very attacking option at LWB, though – he could play RWB, or come on as sub on either side.
Mar wrote:
I've got a feeling it'll be next Tuesday at Cambridge. We're not short of centre-backs, even if the skipper's a big miss – and we need to be careful not to rush him back.
Mar wrote:
As for Baxter, any injury to him would've been problematic. I'm hoping Coleman can settle down somewhat as he's appearing a tad erratic. Made some decent saves and certain seems reasonable in net, but panic levels could do with alleviating somewhat. Nervousness is a little prevalent.
He's not Dixon, and he's not Crellin. He's capable of good shot-stopping – see two shootout saves at Blackpool - but as you say, he doesn't yet seem to have inspired confidence in what is already a makeshift backline. I'd also say that on Saturdat, his work with the ball at his feet was nowhere near the level Evattball needs - leaving us even more hampered in that Rico-free back department. Iles said Saturday's surface was shoddy so we can put it down to that - but if it's the same outcome on our home carpet, it'll need some remedial work in training.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:38 pm

Mar wrote:
Interesting comments there from Evatt.

One thing I'll give Coleman over Baxter which possibly helped with us going down to 10 is his sweeper play is better than Baxter.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:16 pm

Evatt should always seek to play his best side. I am not a big rotation fan barring injury and possibly fatigue. Footballers always want to play every game. I thought for example, red zone or not, JDC should have played. We suffered for not having him on the field. I thought Collins should have started for one of our 2 misfiring forwards. I thought Ogbeta should have started instead of Ashworth for a more attacking threat down the flanks, something we have been lacking recently.

Anyway, I am not seeing them on the training ground so I have to trust that Evatt, but in this run in, I pray he puts his best team out there for every game instead of being too scientific about it.

My side for tomorrow would be
Coleman
Toal Taylor Iredale
JDC Sheehan Ogbeta
Mahogma Dempsey
Collins Charles

We need the height at the back, and we need Toal on the right where he is more comfortable instead of on the left.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:37 pm
Mar wrote:
He's not Dixon, and he's not Crellin. He's capable of good shot-stopping – see two shootout saves at Blackpool - but as you say, he doesn't yet seem to have inspired confidence in what is already a makeshift backline. I'd also say that on Saturdat, his work with the ball at his feet was nowhere near the level Evattball needs - leaving us even more hampered in that Rico-free back department. Iles said Saturday's surface was shoddy so we can put it down to that - but if it's the same outcome on our home carpet, it'll need some remedial work in training.
I've certainly not got Coleman in the Crellin / Dixon camp, but I do think he's adding to some nervous energy around the place. Hopefully he can kick that out of his game as he gets more familiar with what's being asked of him. It's always nice to see someone from Bolton playing in the squad so i'm happy to have him in there but some of his delaying tactics just add to that nervousness.

We were missing Baxter, JDC, Williams and Santos so naturally we're bound to be affected. I think we saw that in the Northampton game but managed to get away with it for the majority of incidents. A more clinical team would've likely punished us.

Coleman's made a few decent saves in the not too distant past, the penalty shootout, one against Northampton, so there's definitely some quality there. Coming in for League debut in a makeshift back line certainly wouldn't do himself or his defenders any help but hopefully it's a matter of time till he's settled. Again, not entirely on Coleman, but he hasn't helped.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:01 am

Question for everyone...

If we manage to overturn Thomason's red card, do we play him in the Wycombe game?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:22 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:01 am
Question for everyone...

If we manage to overturn Thomason's red card, do we play him in the Wycombe game?
We will not manage to overturn Thomason’s red card.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:40 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:01 am
Question for everyone...

Yes. With Sheehan and Carlos. Hoping having a point to prove doesn’t manifest itself into more cards…

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:57 am

Doesn't the very fact that we've appealed it make Thomason available for tonight? He's now at risk of missing Saturday vs Charlton instead - and wouldn't it be only one game? It wasn't a "violent conduct" red...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:12 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:57 am
Doesn't the very fact that we've appealed it make Thomason available for tonight? He's now at risk of missing Saturday vs Charlton instead - and wouldn't it be only one game? It wasn't a "violent conduct" red...
Dangerous tackles are three game bans.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:18 am

Apparently it was reviewed last night so it would be decided for today’s game - I’d expect news at lunchtime.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:14 am

Whatever the results of Thomason's trial turn out, one thing cannot be denied: He is not a thug with deliberate intent to injure. He was going for the ball, not the man. Sadly, he will now be a target for any ref wanting to be Man of the Match.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:14 am
Whatever the results of Thomason's trial turn out, one thing cannot be denied: He is not a thug with deliberate intent to injure. He was going for the ball, not the man. Sadly, he will now be a target for any ref wanting to be Man of the Match.
He's put in some poor tackles this season, not specifically leg breakers, just poorly timed. All part of learning (for me). Looked maybe just a little over-zealous at times. I like the school of tough tackles, the art form is to stay just your side of the border on them. I doubt the fact he hit the automatic ban level for yellows will have gone unnoticed. It's difficult to argue Saturday was a one-off when you've accumulated 10 yellows in 24 games, including a run of six on the bounce in the first seven games (even though he's been a bit more measured since then).

Mind TBF, he's got less reds than the manager so far this season! :D

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:01 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:14 am
He's put in some poor tackles this season, not specifically leg breakers, just poorly timed. All part of learning (for me). Looked maybe just a little over-zealous at times. I like the school of tough tackles, the art form is to stay just your side of the border on them. I doubt the fact he hit the automatic ban level for yellows will have gone unnoticed. It's difficult to argue Saturday was a one-off when you've accumulated 10 yellows in 24 games, including a run of six on the bounce in the first seven games (even though he's been a bit more measured since then).

Mind TBF, he's got less reds than the manager so far this season! :D
Agree with this and hope it's just youthful ignorance. The tackle at the weekend was poor and if he looks at it again will realise it was pointless too. Their lad was on line just under half way in their own half.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:29 pm

Some of his tackles look tired to me. Like he gets there and doesn’t have the mental or physical energy to realise he’s a bit late and just carries on with it.

But I suspect he will learn.

Tonight does worry me. They are no mugs Wycombe and the midst of a slump is not the best time to play a team like them. They will test us with deliveries into the box and set pieces. We need to really be on it tonight.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 pm

They may not be mugs, but they’re 100% a side we should be expecting to beat at home.

Let’s impose our style on the game - control the ball, pass them off the park and damage their morale with early goals.

All that being said, I do think that Baxter and Santos are our two most important players, and we’ll need to show that we can adapt better to their absence, particularly in that back three.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 pm
They may not be mugs, but they’re 100% a side we should be expecting to beat at home.

Let’s impose our style on the game - control the ball, pass them off the park and damage their morale with early goals.

All that being said, I do think that Baxter and Santos are our two most important players, and we’ll need to show that we can adapt better to their absence, particularly in that back three.
It's the expectency that kills us.

Take each game as it comes. 17 cup finals. If they were told that we're playing 17 EFL trophy finals we'd piss the league. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:40 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 pm

Yeah - with all this, especially that last bit. I'm actually as concerned about the second ball on the deck in the pengy area as I am about the initial bombardment.

Need to stand up and be counted etc. etc.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:49 pm

Posh v Port Vale - off waterlogged...