North by North West. Away to Blackpool Sat 24th Feb, 3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

North by North West. Away to Blackpool Sat 24th Feb, 3-0'clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:43 am

With a distinct odour of Ozone, hamburgers and fish and chips on the breeze on Saturday at Blackpool, (followed by pies and gravy, at Wigan Pier next Tuesday,) a near as we're local to get northern rivalry trilogy is on the cards. Not going to be any chances of walkovers in either and the Seasiders are ever a tasty affair that has more to do with rock than candy-floss. It's as North West as it comes and we can surely expect no favours from the neighbours. We need to show our best efforts with every single game a Cup Final if we're marching up the slope. Come on then, let's see if we can pop a few bulbs and blow a few fuses in Blackpool's Illuminations. At em... :Jedi:

ae:) ae:)

Game Stats and video.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: North by North West. Away to Blackpool Sat 24th Feb, 3-0'clock

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:49 pm

Thomason back in or not?

Not for me; too much of a risk in the next two games.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:43 am
With a distinct odour of Ozone....
Does Ozone smell like disinfected pi$$, TD? If so that'll be it.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:49 pm
Thomason back in or not?

Not for me; too much of a risk in the next two games.
He's back, he's eligible, but he's a risk.

We seem woefully short of midfielders for some reason and yet they're all fit and available. Maybe this is something to do with the levels Sheehan, Maghoma and Dempsey are reaching rather than the drop offs for Thomason and Morley.

Used to be the case we'd rotate enough to give one a break, but given this is crunch time that may end up raising a bit more speculation.

Question is, would you rather have Thomason or Morley coming into this game, or the next?

I'd say off the bench for the Blackpool game and then starting the Wigan game, providing he can stop from lunging in.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:54 am

Thomason is a must start for me. He is our best and most combative midfielder and fresh.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:18 pm

Yeah Thomason probably starts tomorrow. For me the ‘8’ position isn’t a huge concern - we have three strong options there, so we’re always going to be able to rest someone without markedly weakening ourselves.

It’s Sheehan’s position that I worry about, in that Josh is virtually irreplaceable and thus will probably need to start every game from here on in. My hope is that we can maybe get comfortable leads in a few matches and bring Morley on in his place.

For tomorrow the returning player that’s likely to have the biggest impact on our fortunes is Santos. Do we chuck him straight back in, or give him the extra days until Wigan?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:28 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:54 am
Thomason is a must start for me. He is our best and most combative midfielder and fresh.
+1
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:18 pm
Yeah Thomason probably starts tomorrow. For me the ‘8’ position isn’t a huge concern - we have three strong options there, so we’re always going to be able to rest someone without markedly weakening ourselves.

It’s Sheehan’s position that I worry about, in that Josh is virtually irreplaceable and thus will probably need to start every game from here on in. My hope is that we can maybe get comfortable leads in a few matches and bring Morley on in his place.

For tomorrow the returning player that’s likely to have the biggest impact on our fortunes is Santos. Do we chuck him straight back in, or give him the extra days until Wigan?
+1

Rico in, for me. Flanked by Iredale and Geth. With Rico back we are more likely to risk going 1v1 at the back and pushing the outside centre-backs on for overloads. Nothing against Toal but Jack's better advancing with the ball, so for me - until either Jack drops form or fitness, or we play some longballers - Toal's back on the bench.

Iles saying Ogbeta likely to be rested with Ashworth returned, and it makes sense to me for those to rotate. Would like Ramsay to offer more threat to JDC on the right but he's been thwarted thus far by mild underachievement and JDC's indefatigability. And Williams is back soon...

I'd go Coleman; Geth-Rico-Jack; JDC-Maghoma-Sheehan-Thomo-Ashworth; Collins-Vic. Nothing against Tuesday's front two - they can come on after an hour - we just need to keep rotating. Demps can also come on, possibly Morley.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:42 pm

"A rose, by any other name still smells just as sweet" sayeth The Bard, (or as sour, in the case of football), so Blackpool or Barnsley, Wycombe or Wigan, the name matters little when the final whistle sounds. Sure, some we relish more than others, but like the three inch putt counting the same as a 300 yard drive in golf, doing it is more important than how. Treat em all like Barcelona and to xxxx with propaganda...A scalp is a scalp no matter what colour it's dyed. Get in there and count some coup.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:53 pm

Thomo starts, assuming fit, for me. No mileage, in saving him for "big games" when you don't have 3 points in the bag from the next game.

Don't think Rico is much of a debate - Fit he plays. Only he and Evatt will know if he needs a few more days...

Not sure how "experimental" their starting line-up was for football league trophy, but ours had Coleman, Ogbeta, Morley, Ramsay, CMG, JDB and Jerome in it, at least 6 of which you might think wouldn't start if everyone fit.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:53 pm
Not sure how "experimental" their starting line-up was for football league trophy, but ours had Coleman, Ogbeta, Morley, Ramsay, CMG, JDB and Jerome in it, at least 6 of which you might think wouldn't start if everyone fit.
Eight changes, it sez here. Same as us, per Iles.
https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... ie-4498904

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:29 pm

I will be stunned if the back three isn’t…

Toal
Rico
Jones

I think Evatt considers that his strongest back three with everyone fit in the absence of Johnston.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:29 pm
I will be stunned if the back three isn’t…

Toal
Rico
Jones

I think Evatt considers that his strongest back three with everyone fit in the absence of Johnston.
That was indeed the default back three through much of that ludicrously good run in Oct-Jan. Indeed once they re-assembled after the October break - although they'd played as a trio vs Derby and Reading, for the run-up to that break Geth had been suspended and Rico injured - we then went WWWWWWDLWW when they all started, until Geth went away.

However, by January opponents had noted that Toal was a weak link on the ball. That might figure in Evatt's mind. For much of that run Iredale was also in the XI, at LWB. As I say, it might depend on opponents as well as whether we expect to dominate the ball.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:46 am

Woke up feeling cautiously optimistic about our prospects today, especially given Rhodes is out for them.

Putting Rico in my starting lineup, but would be looking to sub him for Forrester around the hour mark.

Coleman

Jones Rico Toal

Sheehan

JDC Maghoma Thomason Ashworth

Vic Collins

1-2 Bolton

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:01 am

I’d go Victor and Carlos up top I think. Like that unpredictability coupled with someone who will work his socks off and not give the defenders a minutes rest.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:04 am

Against the grain, but I'd see Charles and Dempsey in there. Certainly Jon Bod at some time. This is important and no time for less than best.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:22 am

Unless I’ve missed something Charles is still injured?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:22 am
Unless I’ve missed something Charles is still injured?
Think that's correct.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:39 am

Very lucky to get a ticket for this one. Like most Wanderers of a similar age, I've never seen us win here. Think I've visited at least 10 times too.
A top two side wins this today. 🙏
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:02 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:39 am
Very lucky to get a ticket for this one. Like most Wanderers of a similar age, I've never seen us win here. Think I've visited at least 10 times too.
A top two side wins this today. 🙏
Thanks for those consoling words Harry! COYWM.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:11 am

There can’t be many grounds we’ve not won at in my lifetime so suspect Harry is far from alone! Fingers crossed we can get one today - would be massive and ease the pressure for Tuesday as well.