Not exactly a Derby. Away to The Rams, Sat 16th March 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Not exactly a Derby. Away to The Rams, Sat 16th March 3-0'clock.

Post by DJBlu » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:10 pm
I still maintain I wouldn’t pay to watch derby fwiw…but I’d rather have the 3 points. Warne quite respectful to us - suspect he thinks there’s a chance we could be his next job when he’s sacked next season! Fingers crossed we can get up in the play offs…
Defeatist!

We're going up as 2nd on goal difference on the last day of the season when we hump Peterborough 5 nil away again with a Santos hat trick.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 pm

😂 3 headers off corners!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:09 pm

You're forgetting Cameron's 99th minute winner off his arse to score his first league goal of the season :oyea:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:09 pm
You're forgetting Cameron's 99th minute winner off his arse to score his first league goal of the season :oyea:
100%.

With him running off shouting "One more year!"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:27 pm

Triggering a contract extension with a league goal! 😂

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:10 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:12 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
100%.

Aaron Wilbraham esque winner to get us promoted would do nicely.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:45 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:12 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
100%.

:lol:

McD
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by McD » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:09 pm
Evatt ‘we are process and performance driven not results driven.’

Yeah that’s the problem. Maybe they will award us the process and performance trophy at the end of the season. Does it come with an extra promotion place?
Not a surprise to hear that from Evatt. However, he clearly does not understand: If your process is akin to a ski run, you should be able to go "off piste" and come back on as conditions and circumstances change. This simply verifies my earlier post, nothing more to say.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 pm

McD wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah that’s the problem. Maybe they will award us the process and performance trophy at the end of the season. Does it come with an extra promotion place?
Not a surprise to hear that from Evatt. However, he clearly does not understand: If your process is akin to a ski run, you should be able to go "off piste" and come back on as conditions and circumstances change. This simply verifies my earlier post, nothing more to say.
Aye, not sure which section of the populace he thinks this might sound like a win for...

The process ain't the tricky bit. Knowing what the correction is, is.

McD
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by McD » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 pm
McD wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Aye, not sure which section of the populace he thinks this might sound like a win for...

The process ain't the tricky bit. Knowing what the correction is, is.
I quite agree

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:39 pm

The weekend ended up being longer than I thought. What a sh1t result to come home to. Have no idea where that leaves us as a team mentally but I think the auto's could potentially be beyond us now unless one of the top two suddenly collapses AND we suddenly catch fire.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:32 pm

I'm glad we're performance and process driven. That's how you get results.

Played well, didn't win. Annoying, but sometimes that's how it goes.

He's the best manager we've had since Sam for me. Close with Parky, but true. I'm enjoying the ride.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:36 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:39 pm
The weekend ended up being longer than I thought. What a sh1t result to come home to. Have no idea where that leaves us as a team mentally but I think the auto's could potentially be byond us now unless one of the top two suddenly collapses AND we suddenly catch fire.
Mate, you have to say. Lost this one, but fcked if we're losing the next. We're going to be the points accumulators, then let them pick the bones out of our 21 pointd...

Or you could knock one out for some higher purpose and do 15 pages eruditely explaining why the he/she didn't actually have it's bollocks on show and manage to defend them. Shit, Southern, second best attitudes. It's endemic on a group level. Get a fcuking grip.

Get the kettle on mate, I need a brew.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:32 pm

He's the best manager we've had since Sam for me. Close with Parky, but true. I'm enjoying the ride.
Process and performance is fine but there is more to winning a football game than that. There is the intangibles. The Gerrard dragging Liverpool through repeatedly for example even when they didn’t play well. The derby keeper making a save like that.

The problem is not that we focus on process and performance for me it’s that it isn’t working. Our form is not good. So maybe we should be looking at results and questioning them and be driven somewhat by that. If the insistence is ‘well we just trust the process’ it’s not worked.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:36 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:39 pm
The weekend ended up being longer than I thought. What a sh1t result to come home to. Have no idea where that leaves us as a team mentally but I think the auto's could potentially be byond us now unless one of the top two suddenly collapses AND we suddenly catch fire.
Mate, you have to say. Lost this one, but fcked if we're losing the next. We're going to be the points accumulators, then let them pick the bones out of our 21 pointd...

Or you could knock one out for some higher purpose and do 15 pages eruditely explaining why the he/she didn't actually have it's bollocks on show and manage to defend them. Shit, Southern, second best attitudes. It's endemic on a group level. Get a fcuking grip.

Get the kettle on mate, I need a brew.
From what I've read it was just one of those days. Their keeper makes a worldie and we don't take our chances but they did. My comments were more about the mentality of our team now. The result would've been a kick in the nadgers for them and Evatt & Co will need to find a way to keep/raise morale for this group of players. They have to analyse and come back with the belief intact that they can actually still gain automatic promotion, if the belief starts to waver then so will they. I'll keep believing as will all of us. Lets just hope they do.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:31 am

Process & performance gets you nowhere if you don't get the points - more evidence of Evatt's robotic approach.

I assume everyone will be content with more seasons in League 1 as long as Evatt is happy with the process & performance, regardless of results ?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 am

The problem is not that we focus on process and performance for me it’s that it isn’t working. Our form is not good. So maybe we should be looking at results and questioning them and be driven somewhat by that. If the insistence is ‘well we just trust the process’ it’s not worked.
Not sure what you want Insaney. every one of us is disappointed at losing out but we also admit we played really well (even Derby's manager), exceptionally so in places. We lost away by a single goal to a top side because the coin fell on tails and not heads. I'd say our form is good, and the season isn't over yet. Be of good heart and keep the faith. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not sure what you want Insaney. every one of us is disappointed at losing out but we also admit we played really well (even Derby's manager), exceptionally so in places. We lost away by a single goal to a top side because the coin fell on tails and not heads. I'd say our form is good, and the season isn't over yet. Be of good heart and keep the faith. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
We are 13th in the league one form table. Or 9th if you look across the last ten games.

I’m not sure how that can be described as ‘good’ form for a team that has spent the season with an ambition to finish in the top two.

Thats mid table form.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:32 pm

Process and performance is fine but there is more to winning a football game than that. There is the intangibles. The Gerrard dragging Liverpool through repeatedly for example even when they didn’t play well. The derby keeper making a save like that.

If you can find a way to quantify those intangibles then i'm sure the club would be all ears. As it is there's no way of doing that and showcasing that we're making progress. With Evatt's strategy it seems very much like it's a moneyball approach, adopting systems and processes and coming out with a way that improves xG.

Sure we could Owen Coyle it and hope for the best by playing fluid fast attacking football that hoped for the best, but if you look at the metrics it'd likely show that to be a worse option than the one we're currently adopting.

We're missing so many fixes that Evatt has put in place, CMG, Charles, Baxter, Johnston, N'lundulu, etc. that we've probably got the solution, it just isn't available. The tactics that we're playing now aren't dissimilar to the ones we were using with Baka and Bod up top where we seemed to score late goals all the time, perhaps its just a case of all the players believing at the same time, so with that in mind i'd be looking to tinker around the edges. The sort of quirks that Allardyce did such as the days off for a win, the psychological help, the yoga, etc. things that lessen the pressure.

I'd argue our performances warrant more than we've accrued in the last 10 games (then again, Sammy Lee argued the same thing).

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:54 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:47 am

We're missing so many fixes that Evatt has put in place, CMG, Charles, Baxter, Johnston, N'lundulu, etc. that we've probably got the solution, it just isn't available. The tactics that we're playing now aren't dissimilar to the ones we were using with Baka and Bod up top where we seemed to score late goals all the time, perhaps its just a case of all the players believing at the same time, so with that in mind i'd be looking to tinker around the edges. The sort of quirks that Allardyce did such as the days off for a win, the psychological help, the yoga, etc. things that lessen the pressure.
So are Portsmouth & Derby, both have as many key injuries as us but they still manage to get results even when not playing well - points get you out of this league not possession stats or the process etc. unless things have changed and the EFL have now awarded a promotion place for process & performances ?