What's Ste Evan's Age? 61, I think. Stevenage away. 29/03/2024 - 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

McD
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: What's Ste Evan's Age? 61, I think. Stevenage away. 29/03/2024 - 3pm

Post by McD » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:54 pm
McD wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:07 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:42 pm
McD wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:14 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 pm
However at least Dave the Minion (aka Ian Evatt) & Mar will be happy as in their opinion Evatt can't do anything wrong.

The only way that I'm renewing my ST if we are still in League 1 next season is if the manager isn't Evatt.
Seriously??? This is hilarious...

In case you need it spelling out, I'm not Ian Evatt. I'm a simple Bolton fan. One who is a damn sight more measured than most in my humble opinion, but a fan no less.
I'll admit, I am an Evatt fan. He's the best manager we've had in years. By a country mile.
Is he perfect - clearly not. Is he the most tactically and motivationally amazing manager - clearly not.
If he were he wouldn't be managing in the 3rd tier of English football
However, what he is, is our manager, and right now we should.be behind him and not making his life & job harder by berating him and looking to assign blame constantly.

A question for all you doubters - one which I've asked before and none of you have ever answered - tell me who else you would rather have? I've not heard a single person out there suggest a viable and available alternative????

As for you renewing your season ticket: clearly that's your perogative (didn't Bobby Brown once sing about perogatives???). But, for what íts worth, if you were to be sat near me and I could hear you regularly spouting your negative shite every game like many others around me, then quite frankly I won't miss you if you don't.

If though - you were to get behind the team a Nd manager and actually want them to succeed and maybe - just maybe - try to enjoy the games, then I will welcome you back with open arms
I along with all Bolton fans want us to succeed.
I also want to enjoy the games, but save for a very few matches, I have not.
I simply want a manager who has a strategy, tactics and a game-plan, which also includes a plan-B, all of which IE clearly demonstrates he lacks.
A manager that plays to players strengths, for the benefit of the team. A manager that will actively look to improve players, mentally, physically, tactically and skill wise. I would argue that most of the players he has brought in have regressed, Jón Daði Böðvarsson is a prime example of wasting an undoubted talent in favour of his "style of play", whatever that is!
Regarding referees, they are probably reacting to the tantrums and insults from our manager. Does he not know that they actually talk to each other and compare notes on managers? This possibly leads to not receiving the benefit of the doubt or worse - A self-inflicted wound, one might conclude.
Paraphrasing his quote "Playing my way is more important than the result", was the clearest sign. Add to which, he will drop and shun anyone who disagrees. Instilling confidence and positiveness in the players is an integral part of a managers job, else the "dressing room" will founder as it has no direction. His latest post match comments appear to confirm this.
Finally, 4 wins in 13 in the league since January and still no change in his style of play - Seriously?
You asked, who would replace IE. Well we play Reading tomorrow and I would have their manager NOW!
Given the squad of players, the turmoil at the club and point deductions this manager has had to endure, he has the hallmarks of a winner - Focused, adaptable and does not blame the result on his players, quite the opposite, he engenders positive energy and belief.
For context, I said this after our game at Reading to a friend who invited me and where Sharon and other Directors were in earshot, not they took any notice (I was not looking for a reaction).
Set myself up for a fall? Not in the slightest and irrespective of the result. And, I really do want us to win!
In closing, I would ask that people take off their rose tinted glasses and look at the way we play, win, lose or draw, before lauding IE as the Messiah.
There is nobody on here lauding IE as the messiah. He's a flawed manager. As all managers at this level are.

He is, however, our most successful manager in years, and when his style of play works, it is very, very good.

For all the lack of people who think Evatt's the best manager this side of Guardiola, however, there seems to be plenty of people, like you, who think he's the complete opposite, and point-blank refuse to see any of the good things he's brought to the club. Rose-tinters vs shit specs. I know which side of the divide I'd rather be on.
The wearers of rose tinted glasses, see only the results - Not how we achieved or failed to achieve results.
IE is all about IE, nobody else, hence the comment about "receipts in his pocket".
When things go badly for him, he blames the players, no-one else. He then prostrates himself by saying how much he loves the club - very sad indeed. I wonder if he loves the club that much, to admit he is not the man for the job?
What was the score today, mate? You must have been gutted.
Just to remind you then, we won 5-2 and I was pleased with the result.
Your rose tinted glasses probably thought we were brilliant and now expect us to win all our remaining games.
Before you get too carried away, the team we played today probably has an average age of 20-21, so not what I would class as an experienced L1 team. The game on Saturday will be against a stronger and certainly more experienced team.
Just for clarity however, I do not like IE (not on a personal level, I have never met him). I dislike his management. Maybe a discussion on his strategy, game plan or tactics would be useful, but oh no! Not able to do that as he doesn't have any of them, nor do I like his man management - just awful.
Just my opinion. Always supported BWFC and always will.
Have a nice day

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:01 pm
Naw, to be fair he said couple of posts earlier that "I really do want us to win" - and I'm sure he does. We all do, we just squabble over how best to do it.

Thing is, the mood on here after disappointing results has become so toxic that I for one can't be arsed.

Others are very much keen to be arsed. Whatever floats their boat. Life's too short for bickering with people who'll never agree.
That bold bit. With bells on.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:10 pm

hear, bloody hear.....

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:23 pm

McD wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
McD wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
McD wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
However at least Dave the Minion (aka Ian Evatt) & Mar will be happy as in their opinion Evatt can't do anything wrong.

The only way that I'm renewing my ST if we are still in League 1 next season is if the manager isn't Evatt.

In case you need it spelling out, I'm not Ian Evatt. I'm a simple Bolton fan. One who is a damn sight more measured than most in my humble opinion, but a fan no less.
I'll admit, I am an Evatt fan. He's the best manager we've had in years. By a country mile.
Is he perfect - clearly not. Is he the most tactically and motivationally amazing manager - clearly not.
However, what he is, is our manager, and right now we should.be behind him and not making his life & job harder by berating him and looking to assign blame constantly.

A question for all you doubters - one which I've asked before and none of you have ever answered - tell me who else you would rather have? I've not heard a single person out there suggest a viable and available alternative????

As for you renewing your season ticket: clearly that's your perogative (didn't Bobby Brown once sing about perogatives???). But, for what íts worth, if you were to be sat near me and I could hear you regularly spouting your negative shite every game like many others around me, then quite frankly I won't miss you if you don't.

If though - you were to get behind the team a Nd manager and actually want them to succeed and maybe - just maybe - try to enjoy the games, then I will welcome you back with open arms
I simply want a manager who has a strategy, tactics and a game-plan, which also includes a plan-B, all of which IE clearly demonstrates he lacks.
A manager that plays to players strengths, for the benefit of the team. A manager that will actively look to improve players, mentally, physically, tactically and skill wise. I would argue that most of the players he has brought in have regressed, Jón Daði Böðvarsson is a prime example of wasting an undoubted talent in favour of his "style of play", whatever that is!
Regarding referees, they are probably reacting to the tantrums and insults from our manager. Does he not know that they actually talk to each other and compare notes on managers? This possibly leads to not receiving the benefit of the doubt or worse - A self-inflicted wound, one might conclude.
Paraphrasing his quote "Playing my way is more important than the result", was the clearest sign. Add to which, he will drop and shun anyone who disagrees. Instilling confidence and positiveness in the players is an integral part of a managers job, else the "dressing room" will founder as it has no direction. His latest post match comments appear to confirm this.
Finally, 4 wins in 13 in the league since January and still no change in his style of play - Seriously?
You asked, who would replace IE. Well we play Reading tomorrow and I would have their manager NOW!
Given the squad of players, the turmoil at the club and point deductions this manager has had to endure, he has the hallmarks of a winner - Focused, adaptable and does not blame the result on his players, quite the opposite, he engenders positive energy and belief.
For context, I said this after our game at Reading to a friend who invited me and where Sharon and other Directors were in earshot, not they took any notice (I was not looking for a reaction).
Set myself up for a fall? Not in the slightest and irrespective of the result. And, I really do want us to win!
In closing, I would ask that people take off their rose tinted glasses and look at the way we play, win, lose or draw, before lauding IE as the Messiah.
There is nobody on here lauding IE as the messiah. He's a flawed manager. As all managers at this level are.

He is, however, our most successful manager in years, and when his style of play works, it is very, very good.

For all the lack of people who think Evatt's the best manager this side of Guardiola, however, there seems to be plenty of people, like you, who think he's the complete opposite, and point-blank refuse to see any of the good things he's brought to the club. Rose-tinters vs shit specs. I know which side of the divide I'd rather be on.
The wearers of rose tinted glasses, see only the results - Not how we achieved or failed to achieve results.
IE is all about IE, nobody else, hence the comment about "receipts in his pocket".
When things go badly for him, he blames the players, no-one else. He then prostrates himself by saying how much he loves the club - very sad indeed. I wonder if he loves the club that much, to admit he is not the man for the job?
Your rose tinted glasses probably thought we were brilliant and now expect us to win all our remaining games.
Before you get too carried away, the team we played today probably has an average age of 20-21, so not what I would class as an experienced L1 team. The game on Saturday will be against a stronger and certainly more experienced team.
Just for clarity however, I do not like IE (not on a personal level, I have never met him). I dislike his management. Maybe a discussion on his strategy, game plan or tactics would be useful, but oh no! Not able to do that as he doesn't have any of them, nor do I like his man management - just awful.
Have a nice day
That team we played today scored 2 more than the last team we put 5 past, but whatever.

That man management you speak of provoked a response from both strikers who scored 5 between them.

You're in the miserable pile like others who revel in defeat. Always supported Bolton and always will, just not this manager, his team, his tactics etc. You'll not be the first and you won't be the last. Sad really.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:23 pm
McD wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
McD wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
McD wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Have a nice day
That team we played today scored 2 more than the last team we put 5 past, but whatever.

That man management you speak of provoked a response from both strikers who scored 5 between them.

You're in the miserable pile like others who revel in defeat. Always supported Bolton and always will, just not this manager, his team, his tactics etc. You'll not be the first and you won't be the last. Sad really.
Similarly, those tactics, that plan, that strategy, has us third in the table with 100+ goals in all competitions so far this season.

Nowt so blind as folk who simply refuse to see.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:51 pm

McD wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Have a nice day
I think it's pretty ignorant to think that Evatt doesn't have a game plan. Same tactics every game, same setup every game which give varying degrees of success. Same with his man management. To say he doesn't have any of that ignores some pretty glaringly obvious stuff.

I think what you've said there is fair critique if its put against the likes of Keith Hill, but making that comment against Evatt is a sign of you being oblivious. You might not like his game plan or strategy, thats fine, but to say he's not got any, is very questionable.
truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:23 pm

Similarly, those tactics, that plan, that strategy, has us third in the table with 100+ goals in all competitions so far this season.

Nowt so blind as folk who simply refuse to see.
100+ goals, and indeed more wins this season than we've managed in the last 27 years.

For reference:

1996-97: 32 wins, 98 points, 118 goals (League: W28D14L4F100A53) (Cups: W4D2L2F18A11)
2016-17: 28 wins, 86 points, 76 goals (League: W25D11L10F68A36) (Cups: W3D1L4F8A11)
2022-23: 31 wins, 81 points, 93 goals (League: W23D12L11F62A36) (Cups: W8D1L2F30A9) (Playoffs: W0D1L1F1A2)
2023-24: 31 wins, 78 points, 106 goals (League: W23D9L9F76A45) (Cups: W8D2L2F30A7) (record to date)

Parkinson got us promoted on 25 wins and 86 points. Last season we finished 17 points adrift of the automatics, but only 5 behind what Parky achieved. Had we had a similar season to what Parky had to contend with, maybe we would've got promoted as we would've had that extra impetus to go and get over the line. As it was we were adrift with little but playoffs to play for.

We're winning more matches by a bigger margin than most managers we've had. Sure its not perfect, but its a damn site better than we've had for many a year. Let's enjoy it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:32 pm

I went to this. In absolutely no rush to travel away from home any time soon.

Santos getting booed from minute 1. People screaming for the manager to resign at half time. Booed off at half time despite playing, I thought, pretty well.

Full time came and plenty stayed behind to tell every single player just what they thought of them.

There was a guy behind me, yelling as loud as he could “tw@t it” every time santos got the ball and every time he did, she followed it up with “who the f’s that to” l. He wasn’t alone. Fans are bellends.

On the positive side, had a lovely little trip through Flitwick and Hitchin due to the A1 being closed. Silver linings and all that
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:41 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:32 pm

On the positive side, had a lovely little trip through Flitwick and Hitchin due to the A1 being closed. Silver linings and all that
I was once of that particular parish, afore my little jaunt to the middle east :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:47 pm

Dollars for the hollers
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:44 pm

Wanderers TV picked up some bright spark in the crowd screaming "get rid of it Santos" while we were calmly playing out from the back at **5-2** up on Saturday.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:51 pm

It's ludicrous. A mass, habitual distrust of anything that isn't agricultural hoofball.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:57 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:51 pm
It's ludicrous. A mass, habitual distrust of anything that isn't agricultural hoofball.
Many of us are still scarred by the Megson years :wink: