No nonsense, Ronseal type of deal. Barnsley Away. 3rd May 2024 19.30pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No nonsense, Ronseal type of deal. Barnsley Away. 3rd May 2024 19.30pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:49 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:28 pm
If they do manage to bring in a new manager before Friday, whoever it is surely won't have enough time to have any meaningful impact.
A sensible, intelligent mate of mine is already worrying Wellens will get the job and he's in Evatt's head.

I wonder whether our fanbase worries much more than our team and manager. But then, fear of loss is a natural by-product of love.

We fear the New Manager Bounce, and sometimes a new face can work quickly, but it doesn't immediately solve long-term problems of an incredibly leaky defence.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:11 pm

Would you want to be manager less a few days before the play off semi final?

Answer is no. I don’t think it means they will be awful. There is always a risk and a threat but it’s far from ideal.

Ultimately I suspect whoever is their manager I think it’s on us and Evatt to quickly work out the tactical implications and adapt. The fact we often haven’t been able to do that is something we hopefully remedy for the play offs.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:13 pm

We play our own brand. Attack them from the off. We however need to manage well the 30-45 mins period when we tire by consolidating and not shying away from tackles. We also need to observe their change of tactics in the first 15 mins of the 2nd half and and adjust quickly from the bench if necessary, not wait until the 70 mins mark to bring on Jerome to hold it up on top, a job he does very well.

We have so much strength from the bench and should have too much for Barnsley. I just dont want our players to feel sorry for themselves if and when things are not going well, but to roll up their sleeves and believe!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:11 pm

Answer is no. I don’t think it means they will be awful. There is always a risk and a threat but it’s far from ideal.

Ultimately I suspect whoever is their manager I think it’s on us and Evatt to quickly work out the tactical implications and adapt. The fact we often haven’t been able to do that is something we hopefully remedy for the play offs.
Based on their form and the fact they celebrated a draw at home to slip down to 6th, I'd say what have they got to lose?

If it's Wellens then the dynamic changes. Whether the players fall for his antics is another thing but he clearly triggers Evatt.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:36 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:11 pm

Based on their form and the fact they celebrated a draw at home to slip down to 6th, I'd say what have they got to lose?

If it's Wellens then the dynamic changes. Whether the players fall for his antics is another thing but he clearly triggers Evatt.
Simply put….if you can’t best Richie Wellens, or most managers thrown into the situation at Barnsley then the door is over there…..

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:58 pm

Wasn't Wellens first game at Salford the one where we beat them at home on Sky, during the Covid era?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:03 pm

Just looked and it was

In the 4 games they have faced off Evatt has won 3 and lost 1, at Brisbane Rd this season

Comfortable wins for Evatt v Doncaster, Salford plus the L.O home win this season

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:58 pm
Wasn't Wellens first game at Salford the one where we beat them at home on Sky, during the Covid era?
First league game. They'd won in the FA Cup the previous week. Their loss to us was Gilks's first game; their lad Turnbull scored a hilarious oggy for us.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:14 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:28 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:22 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:13 am
What we do not want, is Thomason being the one who gets the ball deep. he was their trigger last time we played them in that first half and they hurt us.

Get the ball into Sheehan and get around the ref every time they try and saw him in half
Yeesh aye I've been having day-nightmares about this since Saturday. Will be interesting to see what they do with the manager change but all of their midfield get about and are physical. Josh will need his ankle guards, we'll need a good ref, and George coming deep should be a decoy!
If they do manage to bring in a new manager before Friday, whoever it is surely won't have enough time to have any meaningful impact.
I meant since the league games but the convo has moved on.

As it happens I agree (though less melodramatically :D ) with bwfc-i in that their managerial uncertainty can only benefit us.

I'd have been worried if it had been Duff in that he might have been able to get many of the same players (though missing some key ones) back into their dogged last season shape. But whoever it is has got almost no time (if new) or hasn't had much time (if they stick). We should have no fear about this. We're the better side, in better form. It's sport, and they have more than a punchers chance, but there should be no apprehension. Great chance to put last year right (when, tbf, they were the better side).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:01 pm

What if Warnock pitched up at Barnsley tomorrow for the next three weeks on a temporary basis?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:01 pm
What if Warnock pitched up at Barnsley tomorrow for the next three weeks on a temporary basis?
Then I'd fancy us even more

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:17 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:01 pm
Then I'd fancy us even more
Hmmm. Not sure I would. But I don’t think it will happen.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 pm

I don’t think Barnsley have the time to do anything which would materially improve their chances now.

On a different note, do we think Vic, Dan and Jerome all make the bench? Personally I think we need to save a space for Coleman, so I’d be leaving Dan out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:52 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 pm
I don’t think Barnsley have the time to do anything which would materially improve their chances now.

On a different note, do we think Vic, Dan and Jerome all make the bench? Personally I think we need to save a space for Coleman, so I’d be leaving Dan out.
Vic on the bench having not played for months? Feels a bit not right to me that. Though I get the thinking. More likely to have an impact than Nlundulu….

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 pm

The_Gun wrote:
do we think Vic, Dan and Jerome all make the bench? Personally I think we need to save a space for Coleman, so I’d be leaving Dan out.
Although Coleman was off the bench on Saturday - presumably "reward" outweighing "risk" - I'd be very surprised if he's not on it at Barnsley. He was on the bench for the four games before that, before which he was in the XI.

The previous time he wasn't in the 18 was, funnily enough, at home to Barnsley (Feb 3) - again, Evatt presumably reckoning he wanted more game-changing options from the bench – it was Collins' debut, from a bench also including Jerome, Bod and CMG. (Before that, you have to go back to Boxing Day for Coleman to be sat in the stands.) However, given the stakes, I think the only way he'd omit Coleman for the home leg is if we're 3 or 4 goals behind from the Oakwell leg. I also think he'd err on the side of caution if we got to Wembley.

With plenty competition for the other 6 spaces, I suspect it may just be two strikers, and I wonder whether it's a touch early for Vic. Either way, I think Cameron 'Hotshot Hamish' Jerome will be on the bench, whether we need to protect a lead or grab a late goal :-D

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 pm
The_Gun wrote:
do we think Vic, Dan and Jerome all make the bench? Personally I think we need to save a space for Coleman, so I’d be leaving Dan out.
Although Coleman was off the bench on Saturday - presumably "reward" outweighing "risk" - I'd be very surprised if he's not on it at Barnsley. He was on the bench for the four games before that, before which he was in the XI.

The previous time he wasn't in the 18 was, funnily enough, at home to Barnsley (Feb 3) - again, Evatt presumably reckoning he wanted more game-changing options from the bench – it was Collins' debut, from a bench also including Jerome, Bod and CMG. (Before that, you have to go back to Boxing Day for Coleman to be sat in the stands.) However, given the stakes, I think the only way he'd omit Coleman for the home leg is if we're 3 or 4 goals behind from the Oakwell leg. I also think he'd err on the side of caution if we got to Wembley.

With plenty competition for the other 6 spaces, I suspect it may just be two strikers, and I wonder whether it's a touch early for Vic. Either way, I think Cameron 'Hotshot Hamish' Jerome will be on the bench, whether we need to protect a lead or grab a late goal :-D
There's no way that Jerome isn't making the bench. Great run of form and good scoring record as of late. Surely he'll just be there in the hopes he can carry on the way he is doing.

I'd suspect Coleman would be on the bench, but I also feel like this is the last ideal moment for bringing Vic back into the fold, risk increases the further we get towards the last minute of that Tuesday night game.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:52 pm
The_Gun wrote:

Vic on the bench having not played for months? Feels a bit not right to me that. Though I get the thinking. More likely to have an impact than Nlundulu….
I’m fairly certain Evatt said he’d be ready for this one, and it’s not like he’s going to be asked to play more than 15/20 mins.

He’s a better player and a bigger goal threat than Dan, and we’re at the stage of the season where we need our best men out there.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed May 01, 2024 11:49 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:52 pm
The_Gun wrote:

I’m fairly certain Evatt said he’d be ready for this one, and it’s not like he’s going to be asked to play more than 15/20 mins.

He’s a better player and a bigger goal threat than Dan, and we’re at the stage of the season where we need our best men out there.
I'm not sure. Dan seems like a better option out wide to pull us up the pitch whereas I think Vic is better at the linkup game. Vics shooting has been better throughout the season but Dan started coming good before the injury.

I can't see Vic being selected ahead of Dan in the first leg as we've already got Jerome likely to come off the bench and do the hold up link role. I do however envisage Dan replacing the CAM role and us having three forwards up top if we're facilitating Vics return, but that spots ideally suited to Dempsey coming on.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed May 01, 2024 2:12 pm

Reference Barnsleys search for a manager.

Well it's not Wellens.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 01, 2024 2:49 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:12 pm
Reference Barnsleys search for a manager.

Well it's not Wellens.
Bar paying say a Warnock a fortune for three weeks work, what manager would want to rock up at Barnsley now and be forever judged on a play off campaign they have little control over? I guess if you are out of work maybe….but otherwise? A huge gamble isn’t it if you are in a job.