Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs TBC. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 09, 2024 12:12 pm

In reality the final is just a League game with attitude for players, managers and fans. It wasn't facts and figures that had us beat Barnsley, or Oxford beat Posh; it was just effort and attitude. The cigar prize is bigger and comes in fancier packaging, but smoke is smoke whatever fancy words you use to describe it. The Lord is far too busy battling the world's sins to worry about football, but he is righteous, so go forth and fight the good fight. :Jedi:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs TBC. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by truewhite15 » Thu May 09, 2024 12:53 pm

Let the ticketing chaos commence!

Sorted mine in less than 15 minutes from actually getting onto the system. No issues. Never really have had any issues with the online ticketing system. Interesting to see that there appear to be plenty who are struggling with it...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 09, 2024 12:56 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:53 pm
Let the ticketing chaos commence!

Sorted mine in less than 15 minutes from actually getting onto the system. No issues. Never really have had any issues with the online ticketing system. Interesting to see that there appear to be plenty who are struggling with it...
There is definitely room for improvement with it but they’ve already said that is coming over the summer.

Abusing the ticket office for a system they don’t run and have already admitted needs improvement and explained it will happen is a bit embarrassing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 09, 2024 1:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:09 pm
Not saying that we will lose I merely want us to show Oxford the respect we should afford them. They have the ‘finished 6th’ momentum and the way they nullified Peterborough was the way some teams have had success against us this season.

On the plus side I think if we play at our best and take our chances we will win. And I don’t think that was a guarantee against Peterborough who have a lot of dangers when on their day they can hurt you.
Apart from maybe some Twitter nutters, no one has suggested we shouldn't respect teams. That's different than being confident in our abilities. We're there on merit too.

There's no guarantees. Carlisle hurt us on their day. Just do everything we can do, well, with no switch-offs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 pm

We're a better team than Oxford. It's a one off game, they are a good side and can beat us, but we should win.

We're a better team than Peterborough, but they have two or three players who if they turn up can really hurt anyone.

So I'm happy it's Oxford while being a long way from job done.

DJ - how do I set a post to auto delete on the 19th ?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 09, 2024 1:53 pm

"Rub of the green", something Bolton don't get a lot of, is not just a wish, it's the unknown accident that can occur in the most unexpected time and place either for you or against. Personally, I reckon it's possibly from the ancient Welsh Celtic rugby translation of " Referundinium a clitoristy" that is used as a chant down in the valleys...but I might be wrong as the Bolton version is a bit more Oxford English. :lol:

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 09, 2024 1:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 pm
We're a better team than Oxford. It's a one off game, they are a good side and can beat us, but we should win.

We're a better team than Peterborough, but they have two or three players who if they turn up can really hurt anyone.

Just post the direct opposite in 2 pages time. Be reet.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 09, 2024 1:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:53 pm
"Rub of the green", something Bolton don't get a lot of, is not just a wish, it's the unknown accident that can occur in the most unexpected time and place either for you or against. Personally, I reckon it's possibly from the ancient Welsh Celtic rugby translation of " Referundinium a clitoristy" that is used as a chant down in the valleys...but I might be wrong as the Bolton version is a bit more Oxford English. :lol:

I ain't putting that Welsh into Google at work...

We didn't do bad v Barnsley. Marginal onside for our frist at there's and a decent pengy shout for them at ours...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 09, 2024 2:07 pm

Yeah you could argue we won a pen for what they had one denied for! I thought there was nowt wrong with either of our disallowed goals mind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu May 09, 2024 3:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 pm

Sadly no self destruct on these posts. There are even backups, you'll be held to the evidence for years to come.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 09, 2024 4:08 pm

In feeling there are some parallels to 1999. That year we finished 6th and Watford finished one point above us in 5th. Somehow we both our play off rivals who finished many points ahead of us and ended up in the final.

Although iirc Watford had already beaten us twice that season and finished a point ahead of us there was a lot of Bolton fans happy we were playing them and not Birmingham and it was ‘we are doing this’.

Of course we all know what happened……I’m pleased it’s not Peterborough but I don’t think it will be a significantly easier game necessarily.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu May 09, 2024 4:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:58 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

We didn't do bad v Barnsley. Marginal onside for our frist at there's and a decent pengy shout for them at ours...
Welsh is a strange language try asking Alexa “what is Coffee bean 100 in Welsh”
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 09, 2024 4:53 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:58 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

Welsh is a strange language try asking Alexa “what is Coffee bean 100 in Welsh”
:lol: My 8yr old son worryingly taught me this!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 11, 2024 10:57 am

A week away and I’ve developed a very bad gut feel
for this one. Feels very much like that Watford game to me. Similarish scenario. Since we beat them here Oxford have been better than we have. I think honestly they have that momentum and we need to be very careful. They are on one of those end of season rolls that can propel teams like this all the way.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 11, 2024 11:34 am

Shock horror :D

Those "end of season rolls" are pure confirmation bias. 3rd comfortably the most likely to go up from the play offs teams (unsurprisingly). Also 4 of the last 5 league one play off finals have been won by 3rd, and the other by 4th.

We should be confident. They can beat us, but if they do a game from a quarter of a century ago isn't going to be relevant.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:57 am
A week away and I’ve developed a very bad gut feel
for this one. Feels very much like that Watford game to me. Similarish scenario. Since we beat them here Oxford have been better than we have. I think honestly they have that momentum and we need to be very careful. They are on one of those end of season rolls that can propel teams like this all the way.
You develop a "bad gut feel" for every f*cking game we play. :zzz:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 11, 2024 12:36 pm

I was hoping we at least got to Wednesday or Thursday of next week. But no, we've gone early. Queue a million posts about not taking the opposition for granted (we'd already had a bit of a warm up), like any fcuker inside the camp will read them and think "ohhh, we're doing this all wrong."... :-)

COYWM.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 11, 2024 12:38 pm

It'll be reet. I'm working and will miss the whole thing. Its when I'm watching things usually go pear shaped!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 12:38 pm
It'll be reet. I'm working and will miss the whole thing. Its when I'm watching things usually go pear shaped!
I think I speak for all of us when I say "we'll see you next Sunday AND NOT A SECOND EARLIER!"

:D

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat May 11, 2024 1:39 pm

Nothing wrong with having a "bad gut feel". Its a good thing. Not taking anything for granted. Its the expectation that kills. Overconfidence is a killer. As far as I am concerned the match can go either way. If we play with the same determination as in the semi-finals, I believe we will win. If we play like we are all Maradona's, we will lose. Simple.