Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 09, 2024 1:05 pm

Obvz we don't yet know what division we're in, but for most of the Football League the games are over and the released/retained lists are coming out. We'll need some players this summer, and their names might first appear omn here - who'd have linked us with Josh Dacres-Cogley?

Anyway...
ROTHERHAM release 11 including defenders Sean Morrison, Lee Peltier, Grant Hall and Tyler Blackett; midfielders Cafu, Sam Clucas and Shane Ferguson; and younger players - Joel Holvey, Curtis Durose, Tolaji Bola and Nat Ford. They're offering fresh terms to midfielder Jamie Lindsay and young forward Ciaran McGuckin.

STOKE release forwards Wesley (ex-Villa) and Tyrese Campbell, plus ancient defender Ciaran Clark. They've offered full-back Enda Stevens a new deal.

In the Third...

BLACKPOOL release Northern Ireland striker Shayne Lavery plus defensive duo Marvin Ekpiteta and Callum Connolly.

BRISTOL ROVERS release captain Sam Finley, striker John Marquis, Josh Grant, Lewis Gordon, James Gibbons, Harvey Greenslade and Ryan Jones. Deals offered to Scott Sinclair, Jordan Rossiter and Luca Hoole, contracts extendded for Chris Martin and Jerry Lawrence.

CAMBRIDGE release Ryan Bennett, Lyle Taylor, Harrison Dunk, Brandon Haunstrup, James Holden, Saikou Janneh and Fejiri Okenabirhie. They've transfer-listed midfield trio Jack Lankester, Adam May and Lewis Simper plus defender Jubril Okedina but have offered new deals to James Brophy, Jordan Cousins, Mamadou Jobe, Elias Kachunga, Sullay Kaikai, Will Mannion and Glenn McConnell.

CARLISLE release goalkeeper Tomas Holy, defenders Paul Huntington, Josh Emmanuel and Corey Whelan, midfielder Jordan Gibson and forward Sean Maguire.

CHARLTON release Richard Chin, Michael Hector, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Jack Payne, Terell Thomas, Lewis Ward, Connor Wickham and Kazenga LuaLua. Tyreece Campbell has agreed a new deal. Terms offered to Thierry Small.

CHELTENHAM release nine including Curtis Davies, Jamie Pardington, Ben Williams, James Olayinka, Josh Harrop, Adulai Sambu and Greg Sloggett. Tom Bradbury's contract extended, terms offered to Luke Southwood, Sean Long, Will Ferry, Liam Sercombe and George Lloyd.

EXETER release midfielder Kyle Taylor, 'experienced academy gradates' Alex Hartridge and Harry Kite, plus Gary Woods, Joe O'Connor and Harrison King. Terms offered to ex-Rag winger Demetri Mitchell, ex-Spur Tom Carroll and young goalkeeper Harry Lee, plus Zak Jules and Caleb Watts.

ORIENT release Rob Hunt, Adam Thompson, Harrison Sodje, Emmanuel Harvest, Jephte Tanga and Ethan Light. In talks with 12-goal top scorer Ruel Sotiriou, Dan Happe, Darren Pratley (39!), Tom James, Jack Simpson, Theo Archibald and Noah Phillips.

LINCOLN release defender TJ Eyoma and winger Hakeeb Adelakun. Talks with Ted Bishop, Danny Mandroiu, Lewis Montsma, Hayden Cann and Elicha Ahui.

NORTHAMPTON release Liam Moore, Peter Abimbola, Dominic Gape, Ryan Haynes and Danny Hylton. Terms offered to Shaun McWilliams, Louis Appere, Lee Burge, Ben Fox, Sam Sherring and Jordan Willis. Akin Odimayo contract extended.

PORT VALE release striker James Wilson, keeper Jayson Leutwiler and winger Gavin Massey.

READING release defender Clinton Mola, midfielder Sam Hutchinson and left-backs Nesta Guinness-Walker and Matty Carson, but offer terms to defender Kelvin Abrefa and midfielder Tivonge Rushesha.

SHREWSBURY release Ryan Bowman, Tunmise Sobowale, Tom Bayliss, Rayhaan Tulloch, Aiden O'Brien, Elliott Bennett, Harry Burgoyne and Tom Flanagan. Terms offered to Marko Marosi, Mal Benning, Aaron Pierre, Chey Dunkley, Dan Udoh and Jack Price.

STEVENAGE release winner Harry Anderson and young striker Theo Alexandrou, offering terms to Kane Hemmings and Alex MacDonald.

WYCOMBE release goalkeeper Max Stryjek, midfielder Kane Vincent-Young, full-back Joe Jacobson, plus D’Mani Mellor, Nathan Shepperd and Jack Wakely. Deals offered to Garath McCleary, defender Chris Forino and keeper Franco Ravizzoli.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 09, 2024 2:08 pm

Could be some really exciting signings made this summer!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 09, 2024 2:25 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:08 pm
Could be some really exciting signings made this summer!
Yeah, you'd hope so. Not quite sure where though. I think it might be about adding dashes of quality where available rather than saying, for instance, "a No.10".

Not sure any of the exciting players are mentioned above like, either, but as I say we might get one or two unexpected incomings.

Worth remembering that last summer we weren't uniformly convinced that Sheehan should stay or that Tomo was much more than an honest trier, so things can change....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 09, 2024 2:35 pm

Jeez DSB! :-)

Where's the midfield general when you need one!

I like Geth - but would he be a decent enough CB, one division up, should we get there? (Same on Toal/Iredale for me)...

JDC to run for 50 games a division up with really piecemeal cover? Ogbeta is a loanee (not sure I'd buy him), Maghoma might not return etc. etc. etc.

Not even started with whether we think our free-scoring attackers could make the jump - and if there isn't a jump, have we ultimately shown we'd need improvements to try to make it next season?

C'mon - at least be a bit inventive. :-)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:04 pm

120-odd goals in all competitions this season tends to indicate that we're pretty solid up top. Yes, there's questions over whether Charles, Collins and Adeboyejo can make the step up, and we certainly need better options than we currently have (though JDB is an interesting counterpoint - he was just coming into form and putting together a strong partnership with Collins before his injury...)

Defence and defensive midfield needs strengthening. Does Johnston coming back into the team cure all our ills? Not sure. It's clear that we are, in the main, a better side than last year. But it's galling that, in defence, we almost seem worse.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 09, 2024 3:22 pm

Even though Sharon et al have shown themselves to be very much sensible spenders, I can't help but think that our budget would be massively increased should we get promoted.

As far as I can tell this new EFL tv deal is going to make Championship clubs even better off relative to their League One counterparts, and coupled with the higher attendances* and increased commercial revenues we'd no doubt pull in, our game on the 18th is likely to have a huge impact on the players we'll be able to recruit this summer.

*I would guess that we'd attract some more home fans on promotion, if not masses more, but our away attendances would surely go up quite a lot given the other teams in the league.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 09, 2024 3:58 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:04 pm
120-odd goals in all competitions this season tends to indicate that we're pretty solid up top. Yes, there's questions over whether Charles, Collins and Adeboyejo can make the step up, and we certainly need better options than we currently have (though JDB is an interesting counterpoint - he was just coming into form and putting together a strong partnership with Collins before his injury...)

Defence and defensive midfield needs strengthening. Does Johnston coming back into the team cure all our ills? Not sure. It's clear that we are, in the main, a better side than last year. But it's galling that, in defence, we almost seem worse.
To the first bit TW, not sure either Bod or Cam will get extensions (as players)...which is more, where my thinking was :-)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu May 09, 2024 4:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:58 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:04 pm

To the first bit TW, not sure either Bod or Cam will get extensions (as players)...which is more, where my thinking was :-)
Yeah, I'm not convinced either. I like Bod, and I want him to stick around. But I don't know if that's a footballing instinct or borne more from the same sort of feeling you get as an eight-year-old when your favourite player looks like they're half-way out of the door...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 09, 2024 4:54 pm

No room for Bod anymore, especially if we go up. I like him and thank him for his service, but he's playing elsewhere next season.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 09, 2024 5:01 pm

Our lads out of contract in summer:

Nat Ogbeta
Zac Ashworth
Declan John
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson
Cameron Jerome

interestingly JDB's new contract had a year extension triggerable by appearances, although it was never made clear how many. He made 46 appearances in all comps (18 starts), 36 in the league (11 starts).

Then these are the lads whose contracts elapse in June 2025, some of whom we'll surely be looking to tie down as soon as we know where we're at:
Nathan Baxter
Joel Coleman
Gethin Jones
Ricardo Santos
Jack Iredale
Josh Dacres-Cogley
Randell Williams
Josh Sheehan

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu May 09, 2024 5:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 5:01 pm

Nat Ogbeta
Zac Ashworth
Declan John
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson
Cameron Jerome

interestingly JDB's new contract had a year extension triggerable by appearances, although it was never made clear how many. He made 46 appearances in all comps (18 starts), 36 in the league (11 starts).

Then these are the lads whose contracts elapse in June 2025, some of whom we'll surely be looking to tie down as soon as we know where we're at:
Nathan Baxter
Joel Coleman
Gethin Jones
Ricardo Santos
Jack Iredale
Josh Dacres-Cogley
Randell Williams
Josh Sheehan
If we're promoted, I think Jones, Iredale, and Coleman all start pestering their agents for their potential next clubs. Possibly Randell Williams too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 09, 2024 5:55 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 5:15 pm
Thu May 09, 2024 5:01 pm

Nat Ogbeta
Zac Ashworth
Declan John
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson
Cameron Jerome

Nathan Baxter
Joel Coleman
Gethin Jones
Ricardo Santos
Jack Iredale
Josh Dacres-Cogley
Randell Williams
Josh Sheehan
If we're promoted, I think Jones, Iredale, and Coleman all start pestering their agents for their potential next clubs. Possibly Randell Williams too.
Jones is a central part so I’d be amazed. Iredale I think can play a role a league up and Williams definitely can.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 09, 2024 6:03 pm

A league up I think we're needing upgrades on the likes of Dempsey and Morley needs to start showing more. I know Morley hasn't had much game time in recent months, but he's largely underwhelmed when he's had a chance.

I'd also feel more comfortable with someone a little more proven in the Championship up front. AC/DC I think can do well, but I've always had a niggling doubt whether DC will be effective enough a division up to be one of the 2 main men.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 09, 2024 6:04 pm

As I said the other week, it will be interesting to see if we strengthen the back three this summer (whichever division). It would have to be a big upgrade – you'd assume Santos is a shoo-in, Johnston is back, Toal seems popular with the manager. Then Jones is a good squad member, Iredale offers cover in a couple of lefty positions, and Forrester looked a promising prospect/project. I think right now, next season's favoured three would seem to be Johnston-Santos-Toal, with Jones a good sub.

Coleman is the one you'd most think about upgrading, bless him, especially if we went up. But back-up keeper's a tricky hire.

Randell I'd keep about not just for his output - which has been good since he came back - but also his versatility: LWB, RWB, and can also play LW or RW if we switch systems. If we do upgrade, he's also another good sub.

More immediately, Randell's return has cast more doubt over Ogbeta, who had started to look good, and Ashworth, who'd also started to impress but is right now maybe fourth-choice LWB. Still 21, Ash might be young enough to keep around but is he more B team? I wouldn't be surprised if we get Ogbeta on a free and turn Ashworth loose – which might not work in our favour if his dad ever turns up at the Rags...

I understand the Dion divisional doubts but by gum he's earned the right to have a crack. AC/DC with Vic in reserve, Dan I suppose and then maybe one more given JDB/Jerome likely out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 09, 2024 6:35 pm

IF we go up fwiw I think we need a centre back with pace and power for one of the flanks. Ideally one who could also cover the santos role.

A RWB with more quality than JDC. A LWB who can defend better than Williams - Randell still useful but will be games we need more solidity.

A proper monster centre midfield player. We will have many games with far less possession. We need that physical ground cover who can play in front of the back three.

Replacements up front for JDB and Jerome and imo I’d let Nlundulu go.

I think we need two quality strikers to complement Charles, Collins and Vic.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 09, 2024 6:52 pm

I'd still go for Joel Randall and possibly Knight of Posh. Randall reminds me of Fossey and I reckon could play wing back as well as midfield. Knight is a big aggressive winger.

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 09, 2024 7:58 pm

Thu May 09, 2024 6:04 pm
I understand the Dion divisional doubts but by gum he's earned the right to have a crack. AC/DC with Vic in reserve, Dan I suppose and then maybe one more given JDB/Jerome likely out.
Absolutely deserves his shot, but with JDB and Jerome presumably off the roster we need someone that can have impact. I like Dan and he seemed to turn a corner before injury, but does anyone realistically think he'd be contributing goals next season in div 2? To varying degrees there are questions for all of them. As ever, I'm happy to be proven wrong and see them all bang double figures in. Don't have a town hall here, but happy to bare arse despite the risk of the wee beasties :|

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu May 09, 2024 8:05 pm

I think we're looking at 4-5 incomings in the summer as opposed to wholesale changes.

Having said that, I would still expect a couple of speculative bids for a few players even upon promotion. The luxury would be, I suppose, that we could ask for more in that instance.
Last edited by jmjhb on Sat May 11, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu May 09, 2024 10:44 pm

It seems to me, may be stating the obvious, that this season the first XI can beat most teams in league one, but a handful of key injuries and there are problems.

The team against Barnsley seems to me to be pretty close to a first XI.

I like what I've heard about the contracts being given to people recently. Longish contracts for the better players, shorter contracts for players that might not be central to the vision.

Staying in league one... I'd like a better bench, or maybe the current younger players just need another preseason?

Promotion... I have no idea what the budget would be and what that can buy, but a nice problem to have.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Jeux sans frontiéres
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jeux sans frontiéres » Fri May 10, 2024 3:48 pm

A question that may not be for here, and may not be for now.

But if Wembley doesn't go out way, what chances that the other transfer we're looking for is a manager?

IE might justifiably think he's proven himself at this level now. And I'm sure there would be plenty Champo clubs who would bite our hand off to get him.
contrite convivial contrarian