Sam Allardyce - Stay or Go?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Stay or Go?

Stay
82%
Go
18%

Total votes: 119

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sam Allardyce - Stay or Go?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, so picked an old thread somewhat at random.

There's some stuff in here on Allardyce's stat-analysis heyday at BWFC - and where his staff have ended up

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ta-winning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 am

Cheers DSB. Didn't realise how far and wide our lot had gone. I think the thing that pissed off the most about Coyle was that story about Freedman's staff finding rooms full of top-drawer equipment that just wasn't being used. I miss the days when we punched above our weight by making the most out of everything we had.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:00 am

Prufrock wrote:Cheers DSB. Didn't realise how far and wide our lot had gone. I think the thing that pissed off the most about Coyle was that story about Freedman's staff finding rooms full of top-drawer equipment that just wasn't being used. I miss the days when we punched above our weight by making the most out of everything we had.
The trouble is that other clubs copied what we did (and what others did) so we'd simply be catching up ground rather than gaining advantage.

It is interesting to realise how good a team Allardyce surrounded himself with - many of those names you never heard about or knew existed!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Cheers DSB. Didn't realise how far and wide our lot had gone. I think the thing that pissed off the most about Coyle was that story about Freedman's staff finding rooms full of top-drawer equipment that just wasn't being used. I miss the days when we punched above our weight by making the most out of everything we had.
The trouble is that other clubs copied what we did (and what others did) so we'd simply be catching up ground rather than gaining advantage.

It is interesting to realise how good a team Allardyce surrounded himself with - many of those names you never heard about or knew existed!
I remember when I was on a flight watching Moneyball thinking 'this is the baseball version of Big Sam at Bolton'

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:34 pm

great film
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

leopold
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leopold » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Interesting line from that article:

"Football is a game of passion, and part of every fan would die if the game were reduced to a soulless set of calculations."

As effective as big sam may have been for Bolton, he is passionately loathed by a lot of hammers, and this is their complaint. It's also interesting to see that he isn't getting as much from what is presumably a bigger budget at west ham, than he did at Bolton.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:38 pm

leopold wrote:Interesting line from that article:

"Football is a game of passion, and part of every fan would die if the game were reduced to a soulless set of calculations."

As effective as big sam may have been for Bolton, he is passionately loathed by a lot of hammers, and this is their complaint. It's also interesting to see that he isn't getting as much from what is presumably a bigger budget at west ham, than he did at Bolton.
It's a balance methinks. I'd have liked to have played football like Barca, but we couldn't afford it (and neither could you). Would you prefer to go back to the "West Ham way", which saw lots of ups and downs between the Divisions?

There were quite a few that weren't happy with Bolton finishing 7th in the Prem every year running, because of the style. Frankly, I was delighted with giving the likes of Utd and Arsenal the occasional bloody nose. Being safe by Easter was a delight. I'd also point that the media had plenty to say about Bolton and long ball, when there were invariably other teams according to opta stats that played more long balls than Bolton.

In 2002/3 you were spending £33m we were still at £23m a year later. By 2005/6 there was only a £3m gap between our wage spending, then you put £10m on the budget the year after (whereas we didn't need to), and you put another £10m on the year after that, but by 2009/2010 the gap had narrowed again to £8m and we spent more in 2010/11 than you did. Some of those differences amount to 2/3 players - £8m at 50k per week. So it's fairly fine lines I think (or possibly not quite as big a gap as you might think) :-)

I'd be delighted with a team that had Speed, Djorkaeff, Diouf, Okocha, Campo and the likes in it now...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm

I just voted 'stay'.

I wish.