The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Beefheart » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:14 am

Doesn't sound as bad as a recent momentum meeting in Bolton that my mate recently went to. He says they invited some woman from Liverpool who has 'gone viral' with a cover of 'Something Inside So Strong' with some of the words changes to 'Corbyn' and 'Votes'. Which he says was the most cringeworthy thing that he has ever witnessed. (video in the link)

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/146 ... p_meeting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:15 am

Sounds pretty much a carbon copy of the one I went to a couple of weeks ago. But all ordinary CLP meetings are suspended for the duration of the current campaign, except for the purpose of deciding who the constituency will vote in favour of. Did you have a vote, or did sneaking in the back way deprive you of your ballot paper? What was the result of the vote? It was 72/46 in favour of Corbyn at my meeting.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:18 am

clapton is god wrote:Sounds pretty much a carbon copy of the one I went to a couple of weeks ago. But all ordinary CLP meetings are suspended for the duration of the current campaign, except for the purpose of deciding who the constituency will vote in favour of. Did you have a vote, or did sneaking in the back way deprive you of your ballot paper? What was the result of the vote? It was 72/46 in favour of Corbyn at my meeting.
Cheats!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:33 am

Beefheart wrote:Doesn't sound as bad as a recent momentum meeting in Bolton that my mate recently went to. He says they invited some woman from Liverpool who has 'gone viral' with a cover of 'Something Inside So Strong' with some of the words changes to 'Corbyn' and 'Votes'. Which he says was the most cringeworthy thing that he has ever witnessed. (video in the link)

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/146 ... p_meeting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

strewth!!! :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 am

thebish wrote:^ aye - but like I said, I don't buy your analysis...
Well being a good 'ole leftie one step short of Commie I'd guess you wouldn't :grin:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:59 am

Will come back to this when I have a minute, but see the appeal is happening now 're: the freeze date. Should be overturned as high court got it wrong IMO (and that's legal opinion, not personal bias - I didn't want Corbyn on the ballot but he court was right to rule he is).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:02 am

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:^ aye - but like I said, I don't buy your analysis...
Well being a good 'ole leftie one step short of Commie I'd guess you wouldn't :grin:
^ yet more incisive analysis! bravo! :oyea:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:Will come back to this when I have a minute, but see the appeal is happening now 're: the freeze date. Should be overturned as high court got it wrong IMO (and that's legal opinion, not personal bias - I didn't want Corbyn on the ballot but he court was right to rule he is).
Interesting.

Your legal knowledge will be vastly better than mine but I'd have thought letting people join with no implication that they would not be considered voting members .... & then putting an applicable date in, in retrospect, was very dubious.

Drawing a line,whether a minimum pre-membership period or saying 'no-one from x date' (ie. The date a vote is announced) is reasonable but disqualifying this way seems odd.

The CORRECT thing would be to weed out infiltrators but there are too many, no real mechanism to do it nor ... in many cases ... a will to.

The game's over I'm afraid.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:23 pm

FAO Prufock re: last nights meeting.

Came across this more detailed account with reference to the incident you mentioned.

'Then a speaker rose to tackle the contention that Corbyn is “unelectable”. This, he said, was because no one was “electable” in Britain without the support of Rupert Murdoch and the Israeli ambassador. Half the room gasped; the chair visibly cringed, and ordered the speaker to proceed very carefully. The speaker contended that anyone who stood up for Palestinians was “smeared” as an anti-Semite. Everyone was very glad when he sat down.'

'A woman rose nervously to talk about anti-Semitism in the party, referring to the early speaker’s “Israeli ambassador” line. She found herself barracked by some of the audience for conflating anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, others responded in support.'

This paragraph also stands out:

'A young Scottish man complained about Labour’s abysmal performance in the Scottish parliamentary elections. “We need to appeal to people beyond this room, beyond the M25.” “Rubbish” came the response.'

http://littleatoms.com/society/imprompt ... rship-race" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Will come back to this when I have a minute, but see the appeal is happening now 're: the freeze date. Should be overturned as high court got it wrong IMO (and that's legal opinion, not personal bias - I didn't want Corbyn on the ballot but he court was right to rule he is).
Interesting.

Your legal knowledge will be vastly better than mine but I'd have thought letting people join with no implication that they would not be considered voting members .... & then putting an applicable date in, in retrospect, was very dubious.

Drawing a line,whether a minimum pre-membership period or saying 'no-one from x date' (ie. The date a vote is announced) is reasonable but disqualifying this way seems odd.

The CORRECT thing would be to weed out infiltrators but there are too many, no real mechanism to do it nor ... in many cases ... a will to.

The game's over I'm afraid.
Agree with this but after Beefheart's link above, right now I'm in favour of whichever outcome stops that fat lass singing that awful song again
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Beefheart wrote:
This paragraph also stands out:

'A young Scottish man complained about Labour’s abysmal performance in the Scottish parliamentary elections. “We need to appeal to people beyond this room, beyond the M25.” “Rubbish” came the response.'

http://littleatoms.com/society/imprompt ... rship-race" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only need the clique. Who cares about everyone else?

:hang: :hang: :hang: :hang:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Beefheart wrote:'A young Scottish man complained about Labour’s abysmal performance in the Scottish parliamentary elections. “We need to appeal to people beyond this room, beyond the M25.” “Rubbish” came the response.'
Love it. Very open-minded.

Up there with the bunch who think winning elections is elitist. Of course, there's no London Bubble.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:27 pm

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Doesn't sound as bad as a recent momentum meeting in Bolton that my mate recently went to. He says they invited some woman from Liverpool who has 'gone viral' with a cover of 'Something Inside So Strong' with some of the words changes to 'Corbyn' and 'Votes'. Which he says was the most cringeworthy thing that he has ever witnessed. (video in the link)

"the applauding and cheering was brought to a stunned silence when (she) sang". I'll bloody bet it was.

The Chairman (sic) looked like she was about to laugh. She did well to keep her control.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:57 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:

"the applauding and cheering was brought to a stunned silence when (she) sang". I'll bloody bet it was.

The Chairman (sic) looked like she was about to laugh. She did well to keep her control.
Apparently she was the one who invited her!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:38 am

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-in-court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At last a decent judge

Taking lessons from Pru? :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 am

^ sorry wrong thread :oops:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:32 am

Hoboh wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-in-court

At last a decent judge

Taking lessons from Pru? :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:36 am

No. Just no. Tries to be funny. Just ain't.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:31 am

Bit harsh. I'm only trying to bring a bit of joy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:38 am

I refer the Honourable Gentleman, to the comment I made a few moments ago regarding Judge Rinder. :-)