The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:06 am

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Seems Theresa May has gone to war on private sector execs. Wanting them to cut the 'excesses they earn'.

Fair play to her. Be interesting to see what the staunch Tory voters on here make of it.
Well I'm not and I think they should.
I guess we'll need to see the details - just getting them to publish a ratio of their earnings to the "average worker" in the company, will achieve precisely fck all, as will shareholder voting on exec remuneration packages - it might hit a few individuals but it isn't going to resolve disparity between all the non-Execs and the average worker...

If we were to take an average global company, they will have a small number of execs highly remunerated - they will also almost certainly have low cost locations and the like, which won't give any meaningful comparison of any nature as far as I can see...They will undoubtedly have different Op Co's and could easily hive off the lower paid into a separate but related (or unrelated Services) Companies and the like

I can't see this constituting a minor trip, let alone "war" - I'd be surprised if it was anything better than populist bollocks - reality is that the institutional shareholders hold the power already - they could just shift their cash out. We've seen a fair amount of this with activist investors a couple of times recently - reality is they're more interested in cutting the costs of the wider workforce than the actual CEO, so best of luck with that one then Theresa.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Seems Theresa May has gone to war on private sector execs. Wanting them to cut the 'excesses they earn'.

Fair play to her. Be interesting to see what the staunch Tory voters on here make of it.
Well I'm not and I think they should.
I guess we'll need to see the details - just getting them to publish a ratio of their earnings to the "average worker" in the company, will achieve precisely fck all, as will shareholder voting on exec remuneration packages - it might hit a few individuals but it isn't going to resolve disparity between all the non-Execs and the average worker...

If we were to take an average global company, they will have a small number of execs highly remunerated - they will also almost certainly have low cost locations and the like, which won't give any meaningful comparison of any nature as far as I can see...They will undoubtedly have different Op Co's and could easily hive off the lower paid into a separate but related (or unrelated Services) Companies and the like

I can't see this constituting a minor trip, let alone "war" - I'd be surprised if it was anything better than populist bollocks - reality is that the institutional shareholders hold the power already - they could just shift their cash out. We've seen a fair amount of this with activist investors a couple of times recently - reality is they're more interested in cutting the costs of the wider workforce than the actual CEO, so best of luck with that one then Theresa.
Exactly. They aren't interested in meddling in and running companies. They are only interested in the share price increasing. The fact that those fund managers are extremely well paid doesn't really put them on a different side of the fence to the CEOs.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:16 am

Why aren't people allowed to earn lots of money, without people getting pissed off? I think it's ridiculous. They'd soon stop that viewpoint if they all went "Ta'ra" and fvcked off overseas with their wealth.

What a business chooses to pay their top floor is nobodies business except for the business and its shareholders
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:46 am

boltonboris wrote:Why aren't people allowed to earn lots of money, without people getting pissed off? I think it's ridiculous. They'd soon stop that viewpoint if they all went "Ta'ra" and fvcked off overseas with their wealth.

What a business chooses to pay their top floor is nobodies business except for the business and its shareholders
Not sure anyone has suggested that people aren't allowed to earn lots of money.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:48 am

Beefheart wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Why aren't people allowed to earn lots of money, without people getting pissed off? I think it's ridiculous. They'd soon stop that viewpoint if they all went "Ta'ra" and fvcked off overseas with their wealth.

Not sure anyone has suggested that people aren't allowed to earn lots of money.
Trying to cut peoples salary because they earn a lot of money suggests that to me.

Public sector I could understand, but not private sector

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:15 am

I'm all for it, provided it can also be applied to public sector salaries and pension pots. The difficult one to rein-in will be privately owned companies, the owners of which can take very large dividend payments (Branson, Green?). I can foresee some PLCs being taken private through leveraged management buyouts.

The disparity between the lowest paid and the CEO of large PLCs has been growing since the 1970s probably as a result of American multi-nationals influence. The danger is that social order may break down specifically due to such a gap. No one wants to see that but many execs seem blind to the potential consequences of their actions.

I am not against people earning as much as they can, legally. But I believe there should be some sort of flexible multiplier which provides guidance to socially responsible management boards on remuneration in general.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:28 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:

I'm all for it, provided it can also be applied to public sector salaries and pension pots. The difficult one to rein-in will be privately owned companies, the owners of which can take very large dividend payments (Branson, Green?). I can foresee some PLCs being taken private through leveraged management buyouts.

The disparity between the lowest paid and the CEO of large PLCs has been growing since the 1970s probably as a result of American multi-nationals influence. The danger is that social order may break down specifically due to such a gap. No one wants to see that but many execs seem blind to the potential consequences of their actions.

I am not against people earning as much as they can, legally. But I believe there should be some sort of flexible multiplier which provides guidance to socially responsible management boards on remuneration in general.
It's just that sort of leftie thinking that'll have this country voting for Sharia Law. I'll stick to my current paycheck, thanks.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

It's just that sort of leftie thinking that'll have this country voting for Sharia Law. I'll stick to my current paycheck, thanks.
Ahh, it seems only yesterday that I was being called a fascist. Now I'm a leftie. Life is so complicated.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Innit just. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Why? Because we have growing inequality in society, a huge impending social care bill, an NHS creaking at the seams and a rise in the number of homeless people.

Primarily you could ask the same question and say "why should a business have to pay a minimum wage". We've all suffered the effects of an unregulated, unfettered banking system doing what it wants, exploiting quick but risky profits and paying executives hugely excessive salaries. That in a nutshell is why.

When the banks were bailed out, that wasn't just the public purse saving the skins of those banking institutions, it also saved vast swathes of the "private sector". Who then went on to conveniently blame public sector pay, for an issue that bore no relation.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:23 pm

I'd be asking some of these CEOs of large companies earning megabucks why we (the taxpayer) are subsidising his staff wage bill whilst he's earning ever larger pay rises and bonuses.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm

Bingo.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Why? Because we have growing inequality in society, a huge impending social care bill, an NHS creaking at the seams and a rise in the number of homeless people.

Primarily you could ask the same question and say "why should a business have to pay a minimum wage". We've all suffered the effects of an unregulated, unfettered banking system doing what it wants, exploiting quick but risky profits and paying executives hugely excessive salaries. That in a nutshell is why.

When the banks were bailed out, that wasn't just the public purse saving the skins of those banking institutions, it also saved vast swathes of the "private sector". Who then went on to conveniently blame public sector pay, for an issue that bore no relation.
That's a bit of a bollocks answer to be fair.

Private company wants to pay CEO, £14m. (Let's use Bob Dudley from BP as he was in the news recently). So we introduce a cap. Bob can only get £2m. BP therefore don't pay Bob £12m they were going to.

How the juddering feck does that help paying for NHS welfare, a shortage of homes or any of the other "welfare" things you mentioned. They aren't going to put it in a pot to give BP's low paid workers a 10% wage increase. They'll just save themselves £12 Million against a Revenue of $146 Billion. It's not whole number % against either their Revenue nor their operating cost...

The executive pay thing is just a diversion.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I'd be asking some of these CEOs of large companies earning megabucks why we (the taxpayer) are subsidising his staff wage bill whilst he's earning ever larger pay rises and bonuses.
for sure, if we're only talking about bailed out banks, but we won't be, will we?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I'd be asking some of these CEOs of large companies earning megabucks why we (the taxpayer) are subsidising his staff wage bill whilst he's earning ever larger pay rises and bonuses.
for sure, if we're only talking about bailed out banks, but we won't be, will we?

The poorer people aren't going to become richer, because the richer people are becoming poorer

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:

The poorer people aren't going to become richer, because the richer people are becoming poorer
Have you just dropped the Euromillions or something? :-)

I agree, the CEO's of large companies are allowing the tax payer to subsidise the wage bill, because our laws make it so. The CEO's of large companies use shit like zero hour Contracts, because the law says they can. Much easier way of dealing with it would be to pitch the national minimum wage at a level that didn't require state subsidy and remove zero hours contracts and the like.

Can't see the Government (of any persuasion) doing that any time soon, can you? No. So they blame the CEO's for using the framework they've put in place....easy peasy.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Have you just dropped the Euromillions or something? :-)

I agree, the CEO's of large companies are allowing the tax payer to subsidise the wage bill, because our laws make it so. The CEO's of large companies use shit like zero hour Contracts, because the law says they can. Much easier way of dealing with it would be to pitch the national minimum wage at a level that didn't require state subsidy and remove zero hours contracts and the like.

Can't see the Government (of any persuasion) doing that any time soon, can you? No. So they blame the CEO's for using the framework they've put in place....easy peasy.
I may, or may not have become the CEO of a large company

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 pm

You've always been my bezzie. (No lose gamble)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:18 pm

I give it two weeks before you're having to apologise and resign in a Twitter storm!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:28 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Rich people are getting richer at a faster pace than they have for a very long time. Poor people are getting poorer at an alarmingly fast rate. Trickle down economics is bullshit.

Worthy is right that our politicians have created the environment for this to happen and show little desire to change it. The problem is going to get a lot worse with the advances in technology as more and more jobs are automated. I have little faith that our politicians will forsee this and create training and education programs to prepare the population for it. I'm not even sure who they'll have to blame either as we'll be rid of the EU and foreigners by then.