The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I'd be asking some of these CEOs of large companies earning megabucks why we (the taxpayer) are subsidising his staff wage bill whilst he's earning ever larger pay rises and bonuses.
for sure, if we're only talking about bailed out banks, but we won't be, will we?

The poorer people aren't going to become richer, because the richer people are becoming poorer
Rich people are getting richer at a faster pace than they have for a very long time. Poor people are getting poorer at an alarmingly fast rate. Trickle down economics is bullshit.

Worthy is right that our politicians have created the environment for this to happen and show little desire to change it. The problem is going to get a lot worse with the advances in technology as more and more jobs are automated. I have little faith that our politicians will forsee this and create training and education programs to prepare the population for it. I'm not even sure who they'll have to blame either as we'll be rid of the EU and foreigners by then.
Yup. it's like Trump's promise to bring manufacturing back to the US....Factories full of IoT devices don't need many people...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:51 pm

Call me old fashioned, but there are 2 companies selling the same products - Let's say supermarkets

Supermarket A has entirely self-service check-outs. SM B has entirely human staffed check-outs.

Who you gonna use? I'd like to think most people would look after the people in jobs at Supermarket B - As long as extra cost isn't hugely significant.

I think companies will have to be wary of too much automation, as they may lose the support of consumers.

I left HSBC as they were cutting too many staff for my liking and moved to one with a larger high street presence. Because I'm nice really despite this hard-man persona and ruggedly handsome face
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:I give it two weeks before you're having to apologise and resign in a Twitter storm!
I'll change my twitter to say "tweets are fvck all to with my work, so fvck off" or something...

Take more notice of the "may not" by the way.. It;'s a bit more true. Well, a lot more true
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:07 pm

boltonboris wrote:Call me old fashioned, but there are 2 companies selling the same products - Let's say supermarkets

Supermarket A has entirely self-service check-outs. SM B has entirely human staffed check-outs.

Who you gonna use? I'd like to think most people would look after the people in jobs at Supermarket B - As long as extra cost isn't hugely significant.

I think companies will have to be wary of too much automation, as they may lose the support of consumers.

I left HSBC as they were cutting too many staff for my liking and moved to one with a larger high street presence. Because I'm nice really despite this hard-man persona and ruggedly handsome face
Not sure it's quite the same. If my car is produced by robot and costs £5k and the same car is produced elsewhere but costs £10k, I know which one I'm buying.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:Call me old fashioned, but there are 2 companies selling the same products - Let's say supermarkets

It would be nice to think so, but people generally go for the cheapest. Airlines is a good example of it. Also, in a world where average families are effectively earning less than a decade ago, every penny counts. People piss and moan about Starbucks and Amazon, even Apple, not paying tax but very few people boycott them.

People started buying from supermarkets, partly convenience, but partly saving money. Most high streets were wrecked before people realised. With automation it will be the same. By the time we cotton on it will be too late.

A smart government would be creating an environment for jobs in new areas that are not likely to be automated. They should be changing education to prepare people for it so nobody gets left behind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:12 pm

When I look at some of the automation platforms coming out already it's too late. They're not going away.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:11 pm

I force the other half to be served by a person rather than by a robot when we go shopping. She thinks I'm mental. But business just repsonds to us. In the same way I don't use Amazon, and will happily pay a little more if checkout staff are retained. Oh, and I also left HSBC because of all those c*nting machines.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:14 am

Good to see Zac Goldsmith lost his seat :pissed:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:41 am

It was wonderful. The irrelevance that is Labour also managed to get fewer votes than it has members, which is promising news for those who think the membership increase shows a groundswell of support.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:18 am

Did Morris resign the other night, by the way? I'm guessing not!
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Did Morris resign the other night, by the way? I'm guessing not!
You're guessing right. Apparently he was -to use a currently popular term- "outraged" at the idea. He's slipperier than a ball bearing in a tin of oil.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Did Morris resign the other night, by the way? I'm guessing not!
You're guessing right. Apparently he was -to use a currently popular term- "outraged" at the idea. He's slipperier than a ball bearing in a tin of oil.
Apparently the CEO of Anson's has just taken delivery of his 6th Lamborghini, yet the funds aren't available to cut the grass on the parks. Your description is bang on, Tango.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Apparently the CEO of Anson's has just taken delivery of his 6th Lamborghini, yet the funds aren't available to cut the grass on the parks. Your description is bang on, Tango.
Despite it being somewhat moronic mostly, I sometimes read the "Comments" section of the Bolton News online fot light entertainment. It's better than the Beano and our beloved councillor isn't really very well loved at all. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Despite it being somewhat moronic mostly, I sometimes read the "Comments" section of the Bolton News online fot light entertainment. It's better than the Beano and our beloved councillor isn't really very well loved at all. :lol:
I give the comments section of the BEN, regardless as to the nature of the original article, six posts before a bout of racism ensues.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:57 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nding-rock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish them luck. But I think they'll need more than that when that flat-earther Orange Muppet Hitler is in charge.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I give the comments section of the BEN, regardless as to the nature of the original article, six posts before a bout of racism ensues.
We play cliff bingo. Regardless of what the article is about there's always a strong chance that he'll be blamed for something in the comments.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:13 pm

I note Labour slipped to fourth place in the Lincolnshire by-election last night, falling behind the Lib Dems and UKIP.

Really enjoying the Corbyn political revolution and the groundswell of popular opinion he was going to ride along on.

Where were all the people saying this at the time of the leadership election and what apologies are they going to those of us who knew how disastrous it was now? They owe some massive apologies to the people of this country who their indulgence and selfishness had condemned to at least 10 more years of Tory government. Suspect as usual they'll all just slink off into the background and pretend politics isn't for them for a while.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I note Labour slipped to fourth place in the Lincolnshire by-election last night, falling behind the Lib Dems and UKIP.

Really enjoying the Corbyn political revolution and the groundswell of popular opinion he was going to ride along on.

Where were all the people saying this at the time of the leadership election and what apologies are they going to those of us who knew how disastrous it was now? They owe some massive apologies to the people of this country who their indulgence and selfishness had condemned to at least 10 more years of Tory government. Suspect as usual they'll all just slink off into the background and pretend politics isn't for them for a while.
Sleaford was always going to be about the candidate that backs Brexit to the hilt and wants to cut immigration. I'm surprised UKIP were so far behind...

PS - grow up with your apologies because not all people don't agree with you :roll:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:33 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I note Labour slipped to fourth place in the Lincolnshire by-election last night, falling behind the Lib Dems and UKIP.

Sleaford was always going to be about the candidate that backs Brexit to the hilt and wants to cut immigration. I'm surprised UKIP were so far behind...

PS - grow up with your apologies because not all people don't agree with you :roll:
This was the sort of constituency Corbyn was going to connect the Labour party with. Re-engaging with normal people. How is that working out? The Lib Dems are the only major party who are openly talking about voting against article 50 YET they beat out Labour.

It isn't about agreeing. Its about the delusion of the morons within "momentum" who seriously thought getting room fulls of like minded people corresponded to the British Electorate.

The national polls are embarrassing for Labour. The by-election results are embarrassing for Labour. I want the apology from those who have condemned the country to this because their heads are too far in the clouds to see the reality of the situation. And I'll keep asking for it, as long as I like. And believe me, that will be a long, long, long time.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Labour are a joke and have been for a long time. Before they can hope to do anything the membership and MPs have to start working together. The country is a mess because we effectively have a 2 party system that swings one way then the other when it doesn't work, then back again when it doesn't work again. Forget Labour and start voting for other parties if you want anything to change.