creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 am

There's been quite a few very good ODI batsmen. He may of course be the best you've ever seen. Not counting T20 as it's fairly new, so historically someone like Viv Richards didn't play in that format, nor Jacques Kallis for example - it's barely cricket, although necessary for cricket's survival. Kohli, Dhoni, Bevan, Trott, Root and others all averaging over 50.

What he does have in ODI is a huge strike rate - best on record - which can work very well in our favour when the cause looks lost or we need to make a reasonable total a very good one, quickly. 119 is mighty impressive. When you look at Kohli/Dhoni etc. they're down in late 80's/early 90's - which is still pretty good given the total number of runs they scored in the format and to average over 50 is exceptional.

On the T20 batsmen rankings, he's down at 40th - which suggests there are some pretty good batsmen out there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 am
There's been quite a few very good ODI batsmen. He may of course be the best you've ever seen. Not counting T20 as it's fairly new, so historically someone like Viv Richards didn't play in that format, nor Jacques Kallis for example - it's barely cricket, although necessary for cricket's survival. Kohli, Dhoni, Bevan, Trott, Root and others all averaging over 50.

What he does have in ODI is a huge strike rate - best on record - which can work very well in our favour when the cause looks lost or we need to make a reasonable total a very good one, quickly. 119 is mighty impressive. When you look at Kohli/Dhoni etc. they're down in late 80's/early 90's - which is still pretty good given the total number of runs they scored in the format and to average over 50 is exceptional.

On the T20 batsmen rankings, he's down at 40th - which suggests there are some pretty good batsmen out there.
Since he started opening the batting in T20 he averages 47 - not that I particularly take averages into account too much in that format - but previously he was coming in down the order as a 'finisher' so his overall average will of course be lower....(I think Stokes averages 17 or thereabouts in T20internationals).

But whilst I'd place less emphasis on statistics I do think one thing is very telling - for example, in ODI's Ben Stokes and Buttler have almost identical averages - yet Buttler has a far higher strike rate. Root has an average of 51 with a SR of only 87. And this is the thing - once you get someone with an average of 40 and a strike rate of 120 you're looking at a specimen just never seen before. No other player in the history of the game combines an average of 40 and an SR over 110. And that's over a lot of matches.A good average doesn't win you games in ODI cricket necessarily - see how many times people feel Root for example has actually lowered England's score by scoring at a slower rate......not saying you don't want a balance in your side - I'm pointing out that unlike virtually anyone else on the list in Buttler England have someone who is a world class striker of the ball alongside being a world class accumulator and has the ability to know when to do one or the other and can switch between them at will. That is borne out in stats but only to an extent.

Beyond the stats just watching him bat the talent he has in the shorter forms of the game is pretty much unmatched - I've never seen a player who can do what he does - he's virtually impossible to bowl to and unlike many who have high strike rates he's not dependent on the boundaries all the time....

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Lovely stuff.

Great captaincy, great bowling. Archer and Woakes will get the plaudits, but what a contribution from Sam Curran.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 pm

Archer in particular was phenomenal. We can't expect it all the time but he's electric when he's playing like that.

T'other Curran brother deserves credit too. Huge partnership with Rashid gave us a chance and he bowled well. Didn't get a wicket but 10 overs at less than 3 was really important in stopping them get into cruise control. Could do with working on his fielding though.

This Australia team is very... English :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 am

I thought we just had the perfect bowling attack for that pitch. On a pitch without movement and even bounce, Sam Curran especially is there for whacking. But on that pitch yesterday he and his brother were always going to be hard to put away. Which gave us the luxury of bowling out Archer and Woakes to grab the wickets in the middle. I mean we didn't bat well, we were probably 30 runs short of a good total - and only got there thanks to a very very serious tail wag - the top order were poor. But pre world cup even on this wicket I doubt England would have defended 230 odd very often....

Tom Curran is excellent and a good Plunkett replacement (especially if he can add Liam's knack of taking wickets in the middle overs which he does need to work on a bit tbh). Obviously with this team you're going to need to shift bowlers about a bit because sometimes you'll need two spinners or a bit more variety than Sam Curran offers and I think a couple of bowling slots are definitely open to competition - you've got others not featuring who could do a job for sure. But beyond possible two bowling slots - you bring Stokes back in for who? Probably Root for me. And then you've got Malan who seems really unlucky to miss out after his T20's - Banton is highly rated but I'm not totally convinced yet - but perhaps worth a try. Not sure Billings is really this level but he's certainly no terrible.

Huge amount of competition there for places in the batting lineup especially - so much so that I do think Root (as good as he is) might end up missing out in the future in ODIs.