The African teams ...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

The African teams ...

Post by Le Snake » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Have been bobbins so far in terms of results. Thank God Ghana have scored first against the Czechs, because I always like style of the African teams and if they all go out I imagine there might be some revolutions, or something.
Last edited by Le Snake on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Ghana are playing amazingly well.

The Ivory Coast are so unlucky to be knocked out, they just didn't do it in the first half of both games. Both of their second halfs were awesome.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:52 pm

I think the reason you're seeing a lot of first-time African competitors in this World Cup is that the traditional African powers (Senegal, Cameroon, Nigeria) are experiencing the same fatigue problems that major European powers do. That is to say, their best players have been called up to top-flight leagues and thus have to play the domestic league, domestic cups, and Champions League. It's the same reason I think Greece won EURO 2004. They get tired over the course of a season and so that's why Angola, Togo, etc. went to the World Cup. And these countries are inexperienced at this level, not to mention even they had the additional games in the African Nations Cup. I just don't think they can compete.

Still . . . go Ghana go!

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:06 pm

But the qualification process is spread over a whole year or more, so I don't really think fatigue come into it at all. The reason we're seeing new faces this time (as we did 4 years ago with Senegal) is that the African qualifying competition is by far the most competitive after Europe.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Ghana absolutely played Czech Republic off the park today, could have been 5-0 if not for some bad errors and the brilliance of Petr Cech. Guess it shows what a world of difference the early goal makes.

Thanks a lot Black Stars, now please lay down and die for us :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:35 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Ghana absolutely played Czech Republic off the park today, could have been 5-0 if not for some bad errors and the brilliance of Petr Cech. Guess it shows what a world of difference the early goal makes.

Thanks a lot Black Stars, now please lay down and die for us :D
cant see it mate! I think theyll give you a panking the way Italy will today, sorry to say it but Its gonna be no points and maybe no goals for your lot

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:57 pm

Well we'd be well on the way to victory if FIFA hadn't gotten into the referee's earpiece and reminded him that the script is for the USA to go out in the group stages, ridiculous sending off for Mastroeni. Did the Italians buy this referee too?

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:01 pm

To turn this into today's general thread: USA showed a lot today. They were the better side at 11 vs 11 and their team spririt and organisation kept them in the game for the entire second half. Donovan and Cherundolo stood out as excellent players who worked themselves into the ground. Keller's stunning save was also worthy of note.

I too thought the first American sending off merited only a booking. The have been several comparable challenges only awarded a yellow in this tournament, so again consistency is the issue. I'm of the view that referees should be doing what they can to keep players on the field, rather than send them off. Today's ref seemed to thrive on the drama. However you can't really argue with the two bookables for the second American man off.

In many ways the game was spoiled but it was very intriguing nonetheless.

As for Ghana - brilliant. Absolutely brilliant against one of the top European sides. Superb flowing football with some verve too. Supporting a team fielding Essien does make be uncomfortable, but I can't help but like them. They could easily have won 4-0, realistically.