Grass Roots

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Kylofski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Grass Roots

Post by Kylofski » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:59 am

What if there where no transfers and all the team players had to have come from the area.

Who would have the best team in the premiership?
http://www.bcbfc.co.uk/ Bolton County Bears FC

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:28 pm

I'd say Portsmouth, as they would have little competition for players in their area. There are many teams in the north -west, London and the West Midlands, but not as many on the south-coast.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:55 pm

On current evidence you'd have to say Boro. All the kids McClaren fielded last year seemed like good players.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:16 pm

50sQuiff wrote:On current evidence you'd have to say Boro. All the kids McClaren fielded last year seemed like good players.
All 'imported' from Sunderland, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester etc.

I'd say we would have a half decent chance, yoofs have finished 4th or higher last 3 seasons.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:23 pm

Hoolio wrote:
50sQuiff wrote:On current evidence you'd have to say Boro. All the kids McClaren fielded last year seemed like good players.
All 'imported' from Sunderland, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester etc.

I'd say we would have a half decent chance, yoofs have finished 4th or higher last 3 seasons.
Well, all we ever got to hear about was their 'local' players, but it wouldn't surprise me if what you say is true. After all, just look at all West Ham's 'home grown academy players' we hear about so much :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:27 pm

50sQuiff wrote:After all, just look at all West Ham's 'home grown academy players' we hear about so much :roll:
I was about to say - Surely the Sons of Chadwell Heath will have something to say about this :roll: . However, with no transfer system in place how would they all do one when the going gets a little rough?
May the bridges I burn light your way

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:38 pm

I read somewhere that all or almost all of 'Boro's youngster came from within a 30 mile radius of the town. As for Wet Sham, how many of their current first team came through the youth system?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:32 pm

West Ham would probably have the best catchment area, seeing as they sweep up everything east and north of the river in London. Players that would probably be in their side would be Lampard, Cole, Beckham, Ferdinand...

Liverpool/Everton would be a tough one to call because the clubs are so close together, but a combined 'Merseyside' XI would have some half decent players - Gerrard, Carragher, Rooney, Barton, Nolan...

I think football365 did a feature on this a while back at the end of the season pre-world cup, but I think theirs was 'regional'

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:50 pm

Hmm, I wonder how strong Gillingham would become with the whole of Kent to go at? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Hmm, I wonder how strong Gillingham would become with the whole of Kent to go at? :conf:
Not very? You're talking about Kent ...