Sunderland vs. Colchester.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Sunderland vs. Colchester.

Post by Nozza » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:25 pm

We play the lads from Essex for the first time ever today, in any competitive form.

Given the fact that Bolton have come through the leagues, are there any current league sides you haven't played in a League or Cup game? Only one I can think of would be Hereford...

Sluffy?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Boston Utd

Cheltenham

:?
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Sunderland vs. Colchester.

Post by sluffy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:44 pm

Hoolio wrote:We play the lads from Essex for the first time ever today, in any competitive form.

Given the fact that Bolton have come through the leagues, are there any current league sides you haven't played in a League or Cup game? Only one I can think of would be Hereford...

Sluffy?
The following link is to an excellent Bolton statistic site.

The page I have linked to - shows Bolton's complete history of results against other clubs (I believe it is updated after every match - so the details are accurate up to this afternoon's match against Everton).

Our record against Colchester is played two - won one loss one. We have played Hereford four times and not lost!

You may want to check out or record against Sunderland! :cry:

http://www.geocities.com/nigelsheppard/bwfc/page3.html

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:52 pm

You may also want to check this link out in respect of Sunderland's record against other teams -

http://www.sunderland-mad.co.uk/footydb/loadhed.asp

To find out how your record against other opposition simply 'click' on the 'down' arrow at the side of the team it is showing (currently Colchester) and you get a 'drop down' menu. Click on whatever team you want - wait a second or two - and it will show you how you went on against virtually any team in the world that you may have played!!

Enjoy!

surrey_white
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by surrey_white » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:02 pm

wycombe?
mk dons

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:16 pm

accrington stanley surely

what about some of the clowns promoted from the old conference in recent times...

yeovil we have played in the cup twice, kiddy harriers?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:accrington stanley surely
Fellow founder members of the Football League, Dibble. :whack:
May the bridges I burn light your way

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ah no! I thought the same to - until Monty put me right a while back.

Accrington was the original member club - but they only lasted a couple of years before they left the league. Some years later another (but completely separate) club from Accrington - Stanley - came into the league.

Stanley later went bust and dropped out of the league in the sixties and were replaced by Oxford. The clock turned full circle when last season Oxford dropped out of the league to play a reformed Accrington!!

We have in fact played Stanley in a FA Cup match in 1926 with a goal from David Jack - the man that scored the first goal at Wembley - we went on to win the cup that year as well!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:56 pm

sluffy wrote: Accrington was the original member club - but they only lasted a couple of years before they left the league. Some years later another (but completely separate) club from Accrington - Stanley - came into the league!
Cheers, Sluffster.

I knew the rest of it but I'd absolutely no idea about it not being Stanley originally.

You learn something new every day!
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah I was going for the new club thing...anyway, explained already.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
sluffy wrote: Accrington was the original member club - but they only lasted a couple of years before they left the league. Some years later another (but completely separate) club from Accrington - Stanley - came into the league!
Cheers, Sluffster.

I knew the rest of it but I'd absolutely no idea about it not being Stanley originally.

You learn something new every day!
I've found Monty's original explanation -
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Actually, Sluffy (said the old man), Accrington Stanley was not founder member of the Football League. That was Accrington F.C. who resigned from the League in 1893 rather than join the second division. Three years later they went bankrupt and folded. Later, in 1921, a team called Accrington Stanley (based on a pre-WW1 team called Stanley Villa) joined the Lancashire Combination and two years later joined Division Three (North). They dropped out of the League in 1962, just before I emigrated and went bankrupt shortly thereafter. So I think there were two different teams.
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... 634#118634