What is a big club?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Commie's new driver. Now that is a big club. It's like a bungalow on at stick. Even HE can't miss the ball with it. :mrgreen:
Maybe you should invest in one then Brucie???
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:08 pm

Whoever Sky decide. :|
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:27 pm

Do you want to upset a Man City fan? Just tell them they aren't a big club.

I posted that on the old 606 messageboard once, based on their financial position (skint), falling attendances and lack of honours over the past 30 years.

144 replies in an hour, ranging from tearful to murderous. Great fun.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Hoolio wrote:Whoever Sky decide. :|
Mmmmm not sure I agree totally, especially when compared to the BBC. Being unable to get to most games, I find SKY give the smaller clubs (and I include Bolton in that) more then enough recognition. I've always been happy with the options SKY give smaller clubs. First you have 'Football First' which guarantee’s sixty minutes of your teams football, not once but twice (sorry Hoolio, I know I'm talking about Premiership here) but when you compare it to the BBC who do three twenty minute games of the 'in' clubs and five minutes for everyone else, plus and good amount of live games (though some are pay per view) and Goals on Sunday, I personally think SKY serve me well as a smaller club supporter.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:55 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Hoolio wrote:Whoever Sky decide. :|
Mmmmm not sure I agree totally, especially when compared to the BBC. Being unable to get to most games, I find SKY give the smaller clubs (and I include Bolton in that) more then enough recognition. I've always been happy with the options SKY give smaller clubs. First you have 'Football First' which guarantee’s sixty minutes of your teams football, not once but twice (sorry Hoolio, I know I'm talking about Premiership here) but when you compare it to the BBC who do three twenty minute games of the 'in' clubs and five minutes for everyone else, plus and good amount of live games (though some are pay per view) and Goals on Sunday, I personally think SKY serve me well as a smaller club supporter.
Replace Sky with the media in general...

FWIW, a big club for me is all about tradition, and what was won by the team BEFORE money kicked in. For that reason, I include Villa and Everton in my list.

Arsenal
Liverpool
Man Utd
Villa
Everton
Leeds *shudder*

The truely "big" clubs in England. Naturally, as time goes on peoples perceptions of what a big club is will change.

A rich club, isn't always a big club.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:13 pm

Wolves

:lol:
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:59 am

warthog wrote:Do you want to upset a Man City fan? Just tell them they aren't a big club.

I posted that on the old 606 messageboard once, based on their financial position (skint), falling attendances and lack of honours over the past 30 years.

Honestly, even West Ham has a bigger name overseas than ManCity. ManCity is only known as "the shitty club from Manchester" here. :crazy:
Barça fan that loves a team in white :shock:

Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by 77,78,81,84,05 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:31 am

Village Idiot,

What's the spanish view on Liverpool? Hated or Loved?
R.T.K - Its starting

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:40 am

Village Idiot wrote:
warthog wrote:Do you want to upset a Man City fan? Just tell them they aren't a big club.

Honestly, even West Ham has a bigger name overseas than ManCity. ManCity is only known as "the shitty club from Manchester" here. :crazy:
Thats what theyre known as here as well.

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:41 am

Number boy, due to Benítez and the other Spanish recruits, Liverpool it's probably the most popular English club in Spain atm. You won't see people in the streets in red tops, but if you ask most footie fans they will say that.
Last edited by Village Idiot on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:41 am

Hence the name Man Shitty :mrgreen:
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by 77,78,81,84,05 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:53 am

Village Idiot wrote:Number boy, due to Benítez and the other Spanish recruits, Liverpool it's probably the most popular English club in Spain atm. You won't see people in the streets in red tops, but if you ask most footie fans they will say that.

Number boy?

I am more of a follower of Real Sociedad in Spainish football. Xabi Prieto is a clas act and I hope Rafa goes in for him.
R.T.K - Its starting

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:58 am

77,78,81,84,05 wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:Number boy, due to Benítez and the other Spanish recruits, Liverpool it's probably the most popular English club in Spain atm. You won't see people in the streets in red tops, but if you ask most footie fans they will say that.
Number boy?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05 are numbers...

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:03 am

77,78,81,84,05 wrote:

Number boy?

I am more of a follower of Real Sociedad in Spainish football. Xabi Prieto is a clas act and I hope Rafa goes in for him.
They are getting relegated this year, which is a pity, since they are one of the classic Spanish sides. In Spain when you say "Real" people will automatically understand that you are talking about Real Sociedad, not Real Madrid (who is usually referred just as "Madrid").

And Xabi Prieto isn't good enough for a top side, imho. Nice dribble but not much real end product. If you are delluded by his goal tally take into account that he takes all Real's pens. Sadly, it doesn't take much to be a top player in Real Sociedad these days...

Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by 77,78,81,84,05 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:31 am

I know he takes the penalties, but still think he could do a job for us on the right. Pennant aint much kop like.
I know its a shame about Real, they are a truly classic team, good traditions, however I don't agree they will go down. Anything is possible and I thought they do extremely well to stay up last year.

We shall see.
R.T.K - Its starting

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:45 am

I would really love that both Real and Athletic stood in the First Division, but all these years they have been decaying due to them (and quite proudly so) sticking to their basque players policy (Real not as strictly as Athletic, but still with a mostly basque team).

And Real Sociedad has a quite proud history and tradition. Founding members of the Spanish league, current unbeaten run record holders... In school, we even studied the poetry duels between famous Spanish poets Rafael Alberti (Barça fan), and Gabriel Celaya (Real Sociedad), around a Cup win by us in the late 1920s (one of the most epic Cup finals ever, two replays were needed).

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Businesswoman of the year.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:04 pm

Seems Liverpool need to win that fancy Euro cup thingy a few more times to be as big as these guys...

Businesswoman of the year.