Mans best friend...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Mans best friend...

Post by Nozza » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Can't believe our dog is on her last legs. :cry:

Arthritis in the rear legs has caused swelling of the joints. She can't walk without crying. Had her 17 years, so she is one of the family. Dunno how long she has left. :cry:

Am I sad, or do most people feel like this when a treasured pet dies?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:45 pm

Our dog died just over 10 years ago at the age of 14. I'll never forget her, and all dogs are measured with her as the standard. I have cats now, but its not the same. You never truly get over the loss of a pet, but that's what made them so special when they were here.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:59 pm

I'll join the softies brigade here. Had a cat for fifteen years that was a real character. Took a couple of years to stop looking around for her when she died. Still remember that animal with nothing but affection.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:03 pm

Dogs make themselves part of your family - that's just the way they are, so it's right that you should mourn for them in just the same way as anyone else.

My last dog died nearly three years ago and it broke my heart, even though I knew that she'd had a good and long life. I won't have any more as I get too attached to them, but I wouldn't swap my memories for anything.

Rest in peace old girl
Last edited by warthog on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I'll join the softies brigade here. Had a cat for fifteen years that was a real character. Took a couple of years to stop looking around for her when she died. Still remember that animal with nothing but affection.
When I go home to my parent's house even now I still go looking to let the dog out. :(

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:07 pm

I've had cats all my life. Love them to bits. Doesn't bear thinking about when you lose them.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Just get another one. :crazy:

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Batman wrote:Just get another one. :crazy:
Feck off. What a horrible attitude.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Ah my old Dog Sam, absolute joy he was, little Jack Russel, personality of his own, was 15 when he popped it 10 years ago now, was an absolute star! I still think fondly of him now.

We got a new one shortly after Nigel, from the destitute animal shelter, and he's a good dog, but a bit psycho in the fact that he only likes one man in the world (me) after being beaten. But bless him he's about 14/15 now and on the way out.
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:17 pm

You get so attached to your pets. They become members of the family and each have their own individual personality.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:26 pm

My parents GSD was put to sleep last year as she had tumours and was finding it hard to walk, she was only 11 and was the sweetest kindest dog in the world. It was the hardest thing to do but in the end she was starting to suffer and unable to get around it was the best thing for her, the vet came to the house and she was able to stay peaceful and quiet. It was horrible to lose her, but it was wonderful having her around

Shortly before my parents got a new puppy, another GSD and she is lovely, nutty and daft. Puppy and Clio.

Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 pm

practically welling up reading this thread

i get so attached to dogs, horrible when you lose them or they're in pain

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:18 pm

We've never had a dog in our family, well, we did until I was about 2 but I can't remember that.

We did have a cat, and he died almost three years ago. When I go back to my parents and nobody else is in the house, I expect to hear him running down the stairs when I walk in the door.

It must be harder for dog owners as dogs are much more affectionate than cats, and they really do become more like family as they have a much stronger personality than cats. I hated it when our cat died, so god knows what i'd be like with a dog.

Man, making me sad typing this stuff :(

Fat Stelios
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Fat Stelios » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:28 pm

I had a dog called Jen. She died 10 years ago. I came downstairs to get a drink of water at about 2am and she wouldn't let me leave the room. In the morning I was woken by my mum saying she had died. Still think about her almost every day :cry:
Fat people are harder to kidnap!!!!

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:52 pm

I had my 15 year old dog put down last September. I called him George after a character in a Stanley Kubrik film. I miss him a lot, especially if I walk my other dogs in the park. He went with us everywhere. He was chased by a sheepy in Wales about 10 years ago, a big soft get but I loved him.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Moral Eclipse
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Moral Eclipse » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:50 pm

My cat died two and a half years ago from cancer and that sucked so much. I'd only had her 3 years and had moved house 3 times with her so I think she was a bit stressed out from all that as well. We'd just moved into a new house after lodging with my uncle (where she'd spent the whole time stuck in my bedroom - we were only there 3 weeks and my uncle had two vicious cats downstairs), when she died.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Moral Eclipse wrote:My cat died two and a half years ago from cancer and that sucked so much. I'd only had her 3 years and had moved house 3 times with her so I think she was a bit stressed out from all that as well. We'd just moved into a new house after lodging with my uncle (where she'd spent the whole time stuck in my bedroom - we were only there 3 weeks and my uncle had two vicious cats downstairs), when she died.
I feel for you, I really do. As I do for all the others here who have lost pets.

Hoolio I know it won't be much consolation but try to think about the time when your dog was a healthy young dog. Then look at her now. Sometimes it's just time to let go mate, as hard as it is. I stayed with George right to the bitter end....as he would have done with me. It was only right and proper.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:31 pm

keveh wrote:We've never had a dog in our family, well, we did until I was about 2 but I can't remember that.

We did have a cat, and he died almost three years ago. When I go back to my parents and nobody else is in the house, I expect to hear him running down the stairs when I walk in the door.

It must be harder for dog owners as dogs are much more affectionate than cats, and they really do become more like family as they have a much stronger personality than cats. I hated it when our cat died, so god knows what i'd be like with a dog.

Man, making me sad typing this stuff :(
don't be so sure.

I have two cats...

Kira, age 7

and Squidgy (that's the sensation when you stand on her)age 10

now both of these little ladies answer to their name, come when called, obey commands and are extremely affectionate. Squidge insists on sitting on me or next to me, even now, and Kira, who has the character of a puppy- she will fetch, insists on sleeping on my bed at night and wakes me in the morning by licking my face. Both are very good judges of women, they know immediately which are psycho hose-beasts and steer clear. And they also know when I'm not well, they don't tend to spend time together, unless in a screeming ball of fuzz, and won't normally both sit on me at the same time but if I'm not too good suddenly the pair of them will be round me fussing and stomping their little claws in to my belly. I'd be gutted if anything happpened to either of them.

PS don't anyone for a second think I'm soft or anything, right!! :evil:
Last edited by communistworkethic on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:36 pm

Just had our GSD put to sleep. Arthritis also. They seem to recover for a little while but the inevitable will happen. Know what you're going through but remember the good times, the good home the dog had, and once over it get another. All the best, mate. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 pm

:crazy: