Smoking ban

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:14 pm

smokers go for a shit and drinks too - both of which you are entitled to by law. That's the difference.

I'd also suggest that the coffee drinkers go one at a time and buy several drinks at once. I don't suppose the smokers go individually and smoke a few on behalf of their mates to save them the time, do they?

Might I suggest some people engage their brains before entering in to a conversation and trying to make analogies that have no parallel to the actual situation of smoking and stop posting bollocks on here?

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:15 pm

I hope none of the anti-smoking health freaks that are going to spend more time in the pub don't complain when the tax on a pint goes up to make up for the lost revenue from cigarette sales.

Funny actually - the cry babies that avoided pubs because of smoke have reduced the risk of contracting lung cancer in order to increase their risk of getting liver disease. Excellent.
Last edited by Lennon on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:15 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: and what about those people that spend 20 minutes on the bog every day, or the ones that go and make coffee every hour and chat for 10 minutes whilst doing it? Its not just smokers that have 'extra breaks' most people do it for one reason or another.

Smokers are easy targets, and yes some take the piss, but I can tell you that where I work its not the smokers that are taking the piss the most...its your Starbucks mob. The smokers spend about 5 minutes each time. The Starbuckers spend about 20 minutes a time and do it about 4 times a day!

Might I sugest that people worry about themselves and let managers in companies worry about the piss takers. If they don't raise it. If nothing happens tough. deal with it or leave...you have a choice
and what about those workers who piss about on messageboards all day? :mrgreen:
:lol:
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Lennon wrote:I hope non of the anti-smoking health freaks that are going to spend more time in the pub don't complain when the tax on a pint goes up to make up for the lost revenue from cigarette sales.

Funny actually, the cry babies that avoided the pubs because of smoke have reduced the risk of contracting lung cancer in order to increase their risk of getting liver disease. Excellent.
because they're suddenly going to drink more?? Another stupid leap of logic, text book "losing an argument" tactics. :roll:

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:20 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Lennon wrote:I hope non of the anti-smoking health freaks that are going to spend more time in the pub don't complain when the tax on a pint goes up to make up for the lost revenue from cigarette sales.

Funny actually, the cry babies that avoided the pubs because of smoke have reduced the risk of contracting lung cancer in order to increase their risk of getting liver disease. Excellent.
because they're suddenly going to drink more?? Another stupid leap of logic, text book "losing an argument" tactics. :roll:
Well, obviously. Otherwise they wouldn't be so bothered about having the pub environment changed to meet their preferences.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Might I suggest some people...stop posting bollocks on here?
The site would end as we know it! :shock:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Lennon wrote:

Well, obviously. Otherwise they wouldn't be so bothered about having the pub environment changed to meet their preferences.
yeah brilliant, no justification for that assumption whatsoever. Genius arguing, why not just throw in some unrelated random comments for good measure??

Of course non-smokers will now be all supping an extra dozen pints a week, of course, why didn't I think of that? Why would I think that they would only drink the same but be happy not to be inhaling the poisonous effluent of the breath of smokers and not wanting the associated illnesses?? How stupid of me to not realise all non-smokers are wannabee alcoholics?? If only I'd seen the example of this happening in Scotland and Ireland, I'd have seen the telltale signs!

:roll:

Maybe you want to avoid smoking and smoke, your brain appears to be starved of oxygen as it is.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:34 pm

Smokers smoke, out of choice. Non-smokers don't smoke, out of choice. Both "parties" go into a pub, out of choice. The two are inter-linked and so should be able to live aside one another, as they have done for decades and decades. Crazy ban.

And I'm a non-smoker.

To take away someones right to have the choice to smoke in a pub is silly.

However, I believe it should have been at the discretion of the landlord to decide if it was smoke free, or not.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:40 pm

A view to throw into the ring, here; feel free to discuss as you wish:

If smoking in pubs was so loathesome a habit, and the 'popular support' that has been much trumpeted by officialdom really existed, then why weren't there more no-smoking pubs/bars before the ban? If so many people were interested in going out and drinking but not sharing the same air as smokers, why didn't more individual bars or chains establish themselves as non-smoking before this ban came in?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:42 pm

communistworkethic wrote:smokers go for a shit and drinks too - both of which you are entitled to by law. That's the difference.

I'd also suggest that the coffee drinkers go one at a time and buy several drinks at once. I don't suppose the smokers go individually and smoke a few on behalf of their mates to save them the time, do they?

Might I suggest some people engage their brains before entering in to a conversation and trying to make analogies that have no parallel to the actual situation of smoking and stop posting bollocks on here?
Might I suggest you read things and be a little open minded? Maybe if you didn't interpret what people write only in your own way then you might see the point, which was...

All people do different things in a day and spend different amounts of time doing them. For many people this would add up to the same amount of time more or less. I'll give you an example:

I smoke, probably about 4 during work hours, sometimes 5.
I don't take lunch breaks except to eat at my desk whilst being on here - about 15 mins.
I spend an average of 5 minutes a day making drinks, going getting them etc
I work far in excess of my working hours

A day in the average non-smoking person in my office:
15 minutes spent making drinks, chatting by the coffee machine
2 visits to Starbucks, sit down and chat - lets say 30 minutes in total
1 hour for lunch - religously taken even if the world was about to end

I'm being quite generous in not noting down the rest of the things this average person does in a day. My point is that as a smoker I spend less time away from working as most non-smokers in my office. Some smokers do spend more time away. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. To generalise that smokers take the piss and spend less time working is WRONG.

Please don't tar everyone with the same brush, stereotypes are usually not that accurate (some are).

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:54 pm

My mate who's a landlord said Sunday / Monday the toilets had to be cleaned on 4 more occasions than normal becasue the stench (normally blocked out by ciggie smoke) was coming through the pub. Also the sheer smell of Beer, is putting him off drinking!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:12 pm

Interesting to see current TV full of adverts to help us all stop smoking. Adverts from the government?, no from all the pharmacutical companies and pill-makers all intent on raising their profit levels by a cash-in. All they really want to help themselves to is the contents of your wallet. If people really wanted to stop smoking, they would do so. I've never subscribed to "I wish I could stop, I really do, but I can't" People smoke because it gives them pleasure. Sex, drink, drugs, they're all forms of pleasure. Smoking is no different. If you want to stop, you'll stop. Again, it's a matter of choice.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:31 pm

I, for one, welcome our new no-smoking overlords. :pray:

Another revenue raising deceit.

oh! and a bit of Tonys legacy. :evil:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Interesting to see current TV full of adverts to help us all stop smoking. Adverts from the government?, no from all the pharmacutical companies and pill-makers all intent on raising their profit levels by a cash-in. All they really want to help themselves to is the contents of your wallet. If people really wanted to stop smoking, they would do so. I've never subscribed to "I wish I could stop, I really do, but I can't" People smoke because it gives them pleasure. Sex, drink, drugs, they're all forms of pleasure. Smoking is no different. If you want to stop, you'll stop. Again, it's a matter of choice.
Correct TD. I quit smoking two years ago. My main reason was to do with my then 4 year old daughter asking some worrying (for her) questions about when I was going to die. It's also partly to do with the smoking ban being discussed and my not wanting to be told where I could smoke and where I couldn't.

I just woke up the day after a party with no cigarettes in the house and stated ''I am a non smoker'' and I haven't touched one since.

I didn't use patches, gum, inhalators or self help groups as if you listen carefully all the adverts will say 'requires willpower'

All you need to quit smoking is the right incentive. If you ain't got that, and you're not gonna make it.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Question:
Lennon wrote:Wonder what all the self-righteous, anti-smoking cry babies will winge about next?
Answer:
Backgammon wrote:friend of mine went to Dublin. She said that the outside streets were just full of fag ends. She said it was quite f#cking filthy; litter everywhere.
Now we're the new street people, if it increases litter in public places (streets) rather than private (pubs), you may see councils imposing on-the-spot littering fines to anyone chucking a dog-end. Hey, it'll be unpopular, but it'll be lucrative, and the majority will quietly acquiesce if it keeps their own tax bill down.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (I didn't get through the entire thread :oops: ). Smoking indoors in public places was banned a year ago in Quebec, and you cannot smoke outside within 9 metres of any door. In the winter people stagger outside in -15 Celsius for a puff, although it is hard to get 9 metres away from any door sometimes without standing in the middle of the street. Anyway the guardians of public morality recently concluded there were now far too many butts on the street or sidewalk, so have made tossing a butt a finable offense ($100 for a first infraction). So now the poor smokers must carry ashtrays around with them and keep a stronger smell all day.

The other result of all this has been bankruptcy for a number of bars (average 30% reduction in sales after the ban)
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:smokers go for a shit and drinks too - both of which you are entitled to by law. That's the difference.

Might I suggest you read things and be a little open minded? Maybe if you didn't interpret what people write only in your own way then you might see the point, which was...

All people do different things in a day and spend different amounts of time doing them. For many people this would add up to the same amount of time more or less. I'll give you an example:

I don't take lunch breaks except to eat at my desk whilst being on here - about 15 mins.

I'm being quite generous in not noting down the rest of the things this average person does in a day. My point is that as a smoker I spend less time away from working as most non-smokers in my office. Some smokers do spend more time away. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. To generalise that smokers take the piss and spend less time working is WRONG.

Please don't tar everyone with the same brush, stereotypes are usually not that accurate (some are).
aye genius - go back and read the rest of the thread, :roll: I've specifically identified the fact that there are a group of smokers who do take their full break and expect to big given extra dispensation for their fag. See, not all, some.

Big wooo for you- i'm sure you give the boss and apple and polish his helmet too. :roll: You forgot to subtract the amount of time you piss away on here though smartass.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:17 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

aye genius - go back and read the rest of the thread, :roll: I've specifically identified the fact that there are a group of smokers who do take their full break and expect to big given extra dispensation for their fag. See, not all, some.

Big wooo for you- i'm sure you give the boss and apple and polish his helmet too. :roll: You forgot to subtract the amount of time you piss away on here though smartass.
Do you enjoy being such a foul individual? I would certainly hope you do, because you are damn good at it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:25 pm

i've never understood the " i smoke so i pay more tax , if i'm smoking less , they'll have to put x pence more on summert else you use to cover the difference " argument .. like theyre keeping other peoples tax bills down .

" theyre stopping me doing something i like, so if i stop doing it , that'll teach them ! "

i'll bet theres a latin term for this 'logic' ..
Last edited by a1 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:30 pm

I would go back and read it all but I can't be arsed. I've read enough to know that you are generalising and making out that most if not all smokers are lazy w*kers taking the piss. I'm merely pointing out that the piss takers come from a cross section of society, some smoke and use that, others have other vices and use that to take the piss.

Just because you have identified a group doesn't mean you should tar us all the same way. I'm no goody two shoes but it does piss me off when over opiniated idiots like to get all pedantic and smart arse, which in my view you are right now. I respect most of your views, even agree with quite a few. I suggest you be a little less condescending towards others...it improves the debate even when you disagree with them.

I would go on but I can't be arsed...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:34 pm

a1 wrote:i've never understood the " i smoke so i pay more tax , if i'm smoking less , they'll have to put x pence more on summert else you use to cover the difference " argument .. like theyre keeping other peoples tax bills down .

" theyre stopping me doing something i like, so if i stop doing it , that'll teach them ! "

i'll bet theres a latin term for this 'logic' ..
Reductio ad absurdum?
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.