americans........FFS...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

americans........FFS...

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:20 am

power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Faran
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Faran » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:49 am

I have never heard of such a law! Granted, I don't live in Utah but it is so perplexing. Well what if the homeowner is a senior citizen, as in this case? This is very, very ridiculous.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: americans........FFS...

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:49 am

Sorta reminds me of a sketch on Not the Nine O'Clock News

The Scene: Constable Savage [NOMEN EST OMEN!], a racist and bigot, is taken to task for his racist behaviour by a senior police officer. [[In a few places the sketch has been simplified for the benefit of a non-English-speaking audience. These passages have been marked off by double brackets.]]

O: (The senior police officer’s voice has a cutting edge.) Come in, shut the door. Now then, Savage, I want to talk to you about some charges that you have been bringing in lately. I think that perhaps you’re being a little overzealous [[a little too keen]].

S: (in a slow and somewhat stupid voice) Which charges do you mean then, sir?

O: Well, for instance, this one: loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing. Savage, maybe you’re not aware of this, but it is not illegal to use a pedestrian crossing. Neither is smelling of foreign food an offence.

S: You’re sure, sir?

O: Also there is no law against urinating in a public convenience [[public toilet]] or coughing without due care and attention [[without proper care]].

S: If you say so, sir.

O: Yes, I do say so, Savage! Didn’t they teach you anything at training school?

S: I’m sorry, sir.

O: Some of these cases are plain stupid: looking at me in a funny way … Is this some kind of joke, Savage?

S: No, sir.

O: And we have some more here: walking on the cracks in the pavement *), walking in a loud shirt in a built-up area [[in the city centre]] during the hours of darkness and walking around with an offensive wife. In short, Savage, in the space of one month you’ve brought 117 ridiculous, trumped-up and ludicrous charges [[117 absolutely ridiculous and downright ludicrous charges]]. *) SEE CARTOON BELOW!

S: Yes, sir.

O: Against the same man, Savage.

O: A Mr Winston Cudoogo of 55 Mercer Road [[Spencer Street]].

O: (to Savage, who’s been standing so far) Sit down, Savage!

O: Savage, why do you keep arresting this man?

S: He’s a villain, sir.

O: A villain …

S: And a jailbird.

O: (exploding) I know he’s a jailbird, Savage. He’s down in the cells now. We are holding him on a charge of possession of curly black hair and thick lips.

S: Well, … well, well, well there you are, sir.

O: You arrested him, savage!

S: (stupidly pleased) Thank you, sir.

O: Savage, would I be correct in assuming that Mr Cudoogo is a coloured gentleman?

S: Well, I can’t say I’ve ever noticed, sir.

O: (absolutely furious) Savage, you’re a bigot [[racist]]. It’s officers like you that give the police a bad name. The press love(s) to jump on instances like that and the reputation of our force can be permanently tarnished [[can be ruined for ever]]. Your whole time on duty is dominated by racial hatred and petty personal vendettas [[and personally motivated revenge]]. Do you get some kind of perverted gratification [[pleasure]] from going around stirring up trouble?

S: Yes (!), sir!

O: There’s no room for men like you in my force, Savage. I’m transferring you to the SPG [[to London Zoo]]. Get out!

S: Thank you, sir. (leaves the room)

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:52 am

A bit different to the UK where they'll beat the living daylights out of you for watering the lawns! (Well, perhaps not this summer.)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:13 pm

A little more information about the situation, with pictures of the offending lawn, is here.. While the officer clearly mishandled the situation, the matter may not be a ludicrous as portrayed. I was passing through Orem last year - it is in a desert. It is possible that residents are required to water their property to prevent erosion, etc. - there is a cost to this (water is probably metered in the desert) and she didn't want to pay. Of course the ordinance could also be aimed at keeping the neighbourhood attractive. I don't know and have no access to Orem municipal ordinances. However, the was a law and the officer tried to issue a warning. The lady refused to cooperate, would not give her name and tried to rush into the house. She said it was to get her son but, in that part of the world, it could just as easily be a gun. :wink: So the lady is somewhat at fault even if the officer clearly should have handled it much better.
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Not the news sketch is on youtube
Sto ut Serviam

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:25 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Not the news sketch is on youtube
I'm trying to help people learn for themsevles without being spoon-fed everything :shock: would have posted the you-tube if I'd known about it :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:26 pm

What Grass??????

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:30 pm

hoboh2o wrote:What Grass??????
Exactly - and she refused to pay for water to feed the weeds. Many cities have ordinances against property becoming an eyesore.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:31 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:What Grass??????
Exactly - and she refused to pay for water to feed the weeds. Many cities have ordinances against property becoming an eyesore.
We have an alternative to grass becoming an eyesore over here: It's call concrete.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:39 pm

The SPG referred to in the NTNON sketch has nothing to with a zoo. It refers to Special Patrol Group a disbanded section of the Police who were found to be a little too zealous and corrupt one too often.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:A bit different to the UK where they'll beat the living daylights out of you for watering the lawns! (Well, perhaps not this summer.)
I'm still here you know! :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:The SPG referred to in the NTNON sketch has nothing to with a zoo. It refers to Special Patrol Group a disbanded section of the Police who were found to be a little too zealous and corrupt one too often.
are you sure it's not Vivian's hamster?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:02 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:A bit different to the UK where they'll beat the living daylights out of you for watering the lawns! (Well, perhaps not this summer.)
I'm still here you know! :wink:
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!