TWers and their cars

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:57 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
50sQuiff wrote:
Idiot Wind wrote:The MX5 has fantastic handling and is fun to drive.

I agree with Commie though, it's not a sports car and certainly not the best roadster. The Honda S2000 is better for a start. The noise at 7/8000 revs is unbelievable.

I drive a 323i SE at the moment, on a '99 plate. An old car but f*ck me can it shift. It was badged as a 323 despite having a 2.5L engine - summat to do with wanting to differentiate from the 328. I know, makes no sense to me either!!!
Whilst you were listening to it, did you care to actually take a look at the S2000? It's utterly shapless mediocrity.

Commie, I don't doubt you're a Top Gear bore. How does Clarkson describe the MX5 in this review? :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VJ79KXjk7Ls
a 1.8l is no sports car unless what you're driving weighs the same as a slighlty overweight bluebottle. Lotus Elise, Vauxhall VXR, caterham 7, aerial atom these are sports cars.

Oh and if you want to pull TG as evidence try one that was broadcast in the last 10 years, that was an R reg. If you get something more recent you'll find they specifically say it's not a sports car.
Aye, the VX220 Turbo is a 2L but weighs about the same as a bag of sugar!!!
Eyes right foreskins tight, bollocks to the front
We're the boys who make no noise, we're only after c**t
We're the heroes of the night and we'd rather f**k than fight
We're the heroes of the Bolton Fusiliers.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:07 pm

New corsa sxi, which is great, my only complaint would be the suspension on the sxi version is a wee bit sensitive

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:52 am

Unfortunately I don't have a photo handy. I used to own one of these but had to let it go three or four years ago. Mine had a Fiat 1800 twin overhead cam engine with twin dual throat Webers (40mm) glued on. The thing was space frame construction with aluminium bodywork and weighed less than 500Kg wet. Rather than the flare guards as shown on these examples I had cycle guards on the front and two wind deflectors instead of a windscreen. Damn I miss it. Punting the thing around the local by-ways was pure heaven (legally, of course!)

Now I doddle around town in a Mazda 626 Station Wagon (circa 1998). Whilst it's a fine enough machine for what it is and I need its storage capacity from time to time, I'd much rather something a little more adventurous.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:53 pm

So that's a YES to the MX5 then

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 pm

no, you'll look silly in it.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Image

K reg, had it five years, gone from 70,000 to 115,500 under my careful guidance. Still going strong too.

Metallic navy though, not red. urgh.
I got one of these 4 days ago M reg in metallic poo brown,
Stay up

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Bwfc in the bloodline wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:Image

K reg, had it five years, gone from 70,000 to 115,500 under my careful guidance. Still going strong too.

Metallic navy though, not red. urgh.
I got one of these 4 days ago M reg in metallic poo brown,
Hey, as long as it gets you to the Bok and back!

Anything else is showing off!!! :wink:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

AggyWanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by AggyWanderer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:40 pm

MX5's are crackng little cars. I think some people worry too much about a supposed 'image' of a car rather than how good it is or how much fun it is to drive.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Father in law had an MX-5 for about 5 years; I drove it a fair few times. Cracking little car, fun to drive and cool. Slow as mind, but then again you don't buy one for their performance. Highly recommended!
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:52 pm

AggyWanderer wrote:MX5's are crackng little cars. I think some people worry too much about a supposed 'image' of a car rather than how good it is or how much fun it is to drive.
Or, if you are me, you worry about fitting four kids in the car so I passed on the MX5....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:58 pm

AggyWanderer wrote:MX5's are crackng little cars. I think some people worry too much about a supposed 'image' of a car rather than how good it is or how much fun it is to drive.
Once knew a company MD, vain, balding and suffering from mid-life crisis. Bought a Triumph Stag because he liked the name and it was classed as sporty. "Not bad, what do you think about it yourself? " commented a friend. "Yes, but does it suit my, er, image, that's the main thing" replied the man to whom image mattered more than how good the car was. We of course assured him that it suited him to a T. Personally, I'd have had a Dolomite every time.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:01 pm

Funny enough, of all the cars I've had in many different countries, the most reliable car I have ever owned was a Vauxhall Belmont (old bugger it was too!). Five year I had it, passed every MOT and never once give me a problem.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Funny enough, of all the cars I've had in many different countries, the most reliable car I have ever owned was a Vauxhall Belmont (old bugger it was too!). Five year I had it, passed every MOT and never once give me a problem.
Now the Nissan I had!! Well, you don't just get one fxcking problem with that car, you get multiple, all at once! :evil:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:37 pm

I'm driving a very similar looking 156 to this -

and I also drive this beast

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:45 pm

The Ratmobile, minus the dents and scratches:

And did I really see 50sQuiff on here earlier, or was I imagining things?

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:57 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons, i completely apologise for this in advance

here is your car

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 pm

I'll stick to my Landcruiser. It's great for annoying the drivers of sports cars when driving behind them at night.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:12 am

To answer your question, Batty: The MX-5, particularly the 1.8 - as mentioned by Quiffy - is a most capable machine. I've not had the chance to drive one, even though my brother owns one. All the reviews I've read on them have raved about its capabilities. The earlier model (1.5?) commentaries invariably stated that it needed a bit more grunt. So Mazda obliged with the 1.8. Not having driven one, and therefore relying on the opinion of others, I would most definitely have one on my shopping list of 'try before you buy'.

Having owned seven (7) Mazdas over the years I am in no way biassed. I can say that, in general, they are a very reliable vehicle - though keep in mind that I don't drive in salt/grit/snow conditions.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:21 am

what do you make of this colour

would need to put 4 grand to my 206 in p/x

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:29 am

i prefer silver