RUGBY WORLD CUP THREAD

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 pm

We played well, but I don't actually think we were made to play as well as I thought it would take to beat them.

We were lucky when they had a three man overlap down the left side and Sackey had to take the gamble of coming in off his wing (which we wingers are coached not to do) and wrapping up runner and ball, with Mortlock eventually losing the ball completely, contributing to a pretty miserable day for him.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Was at work with the telly on, with my Australian colleagues.

A bit miffed cos I had money on the Aussies winning, but I can just hope that England don't go on to win.....twice on the spin - can you imagine the hyperbole?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:We played well, but I don't actually think we were made to play as well as I thought it would take to beat them.

We were lucky when they had a three man overlap down the left side and Sackey had to take the gamble of coming in off his wing (which we wingers are coached not to do) and wrapping up runner and ball, with Mortlock eventually losing the ball completely, contributing to a pretty miserable day for him.
Although it was a great bit of play of play from Sackey was play actually being stopped there? Saw the after match discussion and they were debating this did'nt see the decision though...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:27 pm

Well I thought so but I can't quite remember now...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:30 pm

I was heard to say in the pub last night that it could be a long weekend what with Australia today and Chelsea tomorrow - If our guys show the same sort of desire tomorrow, I'll be a very happy Wanderer :-)

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:39 pm

absolutely fecking superb that. Wish I was in Marseilles tonight - my boss is the jammy sod.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:50 pm

Also cheered me up no end to see the Aussies completely lose their discipline and try drop kicks from the halfway line on more than one occasion!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:53 pm

spraggy wrote:absolutely fecking superb that. Wish I was in Marseilles tonight - my boss is the jammy sod.
He'll have dog shit on his shoes in the morning
Sto ut Serviam

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:08 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:We played well, but I don't actually think we were made to play as well as I thought it would take to beat them.

actually it didn't matter as there had aleady been an infringement, when play stopped it went back for a penalty to England
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:13 pm

communistworkethic wrote:

actually it didn't matter as there had aleady been an infringement, when play stopped it went back for a penalty to England
Yep, just checked and you're dead right... I must have missed what ensued by celebrating.

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:21 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
spraggy wrote:absolutely fecking superb that. Wish I was in Marseilles tonight - my boss is the jammy sod.
He'll have dog shit on his shoes in the morning
I was in Marseille for the New Zealand Italy game - superb weekend, great party atmosphere. Makes me want to go on more rugby away trips. New Zealand 2011 anyone?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:38 pm

Kinell. What a World Cup this is turning out to be.

France 13 down at half time, now leading 20-18. Cracker of a game too. Best day's rugby for a long time. Six minutes to go.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:48 pm

AUSTRALIA OUT.

NEW ZEALAND OUT.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH :oyea: :oyea:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:51 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Awesome. Watched it in an Irish pub in Utrecht rammed full of Aussies. They didn't give us a hope before kick-off but they all trundled out quietly or blaming the Irish ref.

Ideally I'd like France to play out of their skins tonight, sneak one past NZ, and then not show up against us.

:pissed:

Good side as they are, I'd much rather play the surrender monkeys.

Allez les bleus!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:58 pm

One Frenchman on for a minute and a score. Er, haven't I seen that somewhere before? :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:28 pm

4 long years of having it rammed up us about how freaking good the Southern Hemisphere are and two sets of em are on the way home - how good is that.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:36 pm

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:40 pm

Batman wrote:Image
:lmfao: think I did see this doing the rounds 4 years ago :-) but thanks for reminding me it was out there :-))

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:54 pm

not reposting it but that is class!

Also what a game between France and NZ!

Anything can happen now!

COME ON ENGLAND!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:40 am

Well done, England, congratulations.

From what I've seen of them over the last few years (not a lot I must admit) England hit them where it would hurt the most - the scrums. The wobblies have been suspect in that part of the game for a good while. FaninOz might be right in stating Australia were odds on here but I certainly wouldn't have put money on that contest. I wonder how the line-outs went? At one stage Australia were diabolical but seemed to have improved markedly over the last couple of seasons.

I haven't seen the game as I was enjoying some much needed beauty sleep but I wonder whether England targeted Gregan when the Oz boys actually won a scrum. He, among others, is not the player he once was in his younger years and (my opinion only) seems to have become a more one dimensional player when it comes to clearing the scrums and rucks.

Whatever. Enjoy the ride. Good luck against Gallic hordes.