Flat as a pancake.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Flat as a pancake.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:22 pm

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:31 pm

give it five years and they'll make the london marathon single file, so as to not encroach any health and safety laws

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Gerrard's not happy today

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:46 pm

sorry but read that article without your Daily Mail specs on, they are a bunch of lazy no-mark whingers. £250 could easily be raised by no more than a couple of quid donation from each entrant or getting a local business to support it. Oh and it's not ending after 600 years at all, they revived it 10 years ago, like the story says.

If they'd been that bothered then we'd have been hearing about this weeks ago and not on the day. That way someone could have stepped in and given them the cash.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Don't know why I bother. I didn't offer any opinions, just posted a link. The tradition apparently dates back 600 years. Contrary to public opinion, I wasn't around then.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:43 pm

There's only one flat as a pancake I'd be remotely intrested in

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:47 pm

[quote="fatshaft"]There's only one flat as a pancake I'd be remotely intrested in

Aye, she could class as a health and safety hazard comfortably. :wink:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Don't know why I bother. I didn't offer any opinions, just posted a link. The tradition apparently dates back 600 years. Contrary to public opinion, I wasn't around then.
given the BBC news website is the world's most widely read news website, I'd guess that most posters are capable of catching this story themselves. So this leads me to believe your putting it up has a motive, it being "look another tradition quashed by the PC world (not to be confused with Garyy Glitter's nemesis)". As you have put the story up with no comment attached, it seems reasonable to assume you wanted the story to stand on its own, though you added "after 600 years" just to try and enforce the point even though it was inaccurate. It's a 10 year tradition.

You'll note there's no explanantion when or why it had stopped happening previously. But when you take a look - it turns out only the bell is traditional, it being rung to call the penitent to church on Shrove Tuesday. The pancakes started in 1998.

And if you had looked a little further, it didn't happen last year in Bedale, another North Yorks town, either, so should have had a clue about the issues for this year.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 pm

I've just received an invite to take part in a charity pancake race. It says that they've got a pan and the all of the ingredients, and that they just need a tosser! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:17 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
given the BBC news website is the world's most widely read news website, I'd guess that most posters are capable of catching this story themselves. So this leads me to believe your putting it up has a motive, it being "look another tradition quashed by the PC world (not to be confused with Garyy Glitter's nemesis)". As you have put the story up with no comment attached, it seems reasonable to assume you wanted the story to stand on its own, though you added "after 600 years" just to try and enforce the point even though it was inaccurate. It's a 10 year tradition.

You'll note there's no explanantion when or why it had stopped happening previously. But when you take a look - it turns out only the bell is traditional, it being rung to call the penitent to church on Shrove Tuesday. The pancakes started in 1998.

And if you had looked a little further, it didn't happen last year in Bedale, another North Yorks town, either, so should have had a clue about the issues for this year.
According to you, almost everything I post has some ulterior motive. I'm well aware that most posters can read things for themselves; I'm also aware this a a banter forum, not Commie's personal blog space. Did everybody also read this:

Pancake race bannedNo doubt you will all hear or read this at some point today.

A Cathedral pancake race that is part of a 600-year-old tradition has been stopped because of health and safety rules.
The bell at Ripon Cathedral, which has rung at 11am to mark Shrove Tuesday since the 15th century, has signalled the start of the city's pancake race for the past 11 years.
However, the event, in which children, traders, soldiers and even clergy compete, has been abandoned because of the amount of work needed to carry out risk assessments.

The Dean of Ripon, the Very Rev Keith Jukes, who helps organise the races, said: "We have looked at this and there are a number of reasons why it won't take place and a big reason this year is, sadly, health and safety.

"Any organisation that runs an event has to go through risk assessments. The insurance companies demand it and in the end you have to work out whether it's a risk you take.

"There is also the issue of road closures, which can be an expensive business." Bernard Bateman, one of the organisers, said it was also becoming increasingly difficult to find volunteers willing to help as marshals.

In past years, the event, part of a long tradition of pancake races in Ripon, was likened to a village sports day, a last chance to have fun before the solemn season of Lent.

The race has been growing in popularity and even involved members of 38 Regt Royal Engineers, based in Ripon, who cook pancakes from a field kitchen outside the west front of the cathedral.
Mr Bateman, a councillor, said: "The main problem is health and safety. There are so many things to put in place to make sure the event can get off the ground.

"We had hoped to make the pancake race as much of a tradition as the pancake bell and it's a travesty that it has been killed off.

"Everyone involved in the race is a volunteer and at the end of the day fewer and fewer people are volunteering these days, and it's because of the paperwork that started off as well-meaning but has now gone overboard.

"It puts people off helping. It's just one thing after another."

Jean Smith, 61, a resident of Ripon, said: "It's totally daft. Why should paperwork get in the way of kids having fun? We seem to hear it all the time now but it's bureaucracy gone mad."

Ripon Cathedral traditionally used the "pancake bell" to summon penitents to church to be "shriven" by making confessions before the start of Lent.

A survey has suggested that two thirds of people in the country no longer mark the Christian tradition of making pancakes.

Many are even unaware of its place in the calendar. Shrove Tuesday, which falls 47 days before Easter Sunday, is today.

Pancakes have featured in cookbooks since 1439. The custom of flipping or tossing them is believed to have started in the 17th century. They are made from rich ingredients that include eggs and milk, which were used up in households before the 40 days of Lent during which only plain food should be eaten.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:42 pm

and the source of that is? I took mine from the Diocese of Ripon & Leeds. Presumambly they actually know their own Pancake Race's history.

http://members.aol.com/jhgcarter/press259.htm

"commie's person blog space"? I'd suggest you check the definition of "hypiocrisy", or perhaps describing your house and its contents doesn't count?

You posted something for a reason, on the basis of its content and your other posts I made a reasonable assumption about your motives. Or was there something altruistic that I missed - please do tell me if I've missed it. Then you respond with basically a repetition of the originally story, one which still doesn't backup the idea that the race is 600 years old. I don't know why.

Oh and I'd suggest the biggest reason for it not happening is this.....

"A survey has suggested that two thirds of people in the country no longer mark the Christian tradition of making pancakes."

i.e. frankly nobody gives a toss.

No doubt I'll be banned for not toeing the line and all evidence of this thread will strangely disappear. :roll:

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Don't know why I bother. I didn't offer any opinions, just posted a link. The tradition apparently dates back 600 years. Contrary to public opinion, I wasn't around then.

Have you ever kissed a girl?

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:55 pm

blurred wrote:Gerrard's not happy today

Has this got somethin to do with Gerrards Mrs and a certain gangster?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:00 pm

LeeRoyBrown wrote:

Have you ever kissed a girl?
aye, your mum.

just thought I'd keep up with your high-brow level of response. :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:02 pm

Does it matter Commie? Tango posted something topical in nature that may or may not be of interest to others. I don't believe he commented on it so whats the big deal?

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Does it matter Commie? Tango posted something topical in nature that may or may not be of interest to others. I don't believe he commented on it so whats the big deal?

My sentiments exactly.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:14 pm

LeeRoyBrown wrote:
By jove I think he's got it!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:23 pm

communistworkethic wrote:and the source of that is? I took mine from the Diocese of Ripon & Leeds. Presumambly they actually know their own Pancake Race's history.

http://members.aol.com/jhgcarter/press259.htm

"commie's person blog space"? I'd suggest you check the definition of "hypiocrisy", or perhaps describing your house and its contents doesn't count?

You posted something for a reason, on the basis of its content and your other posts I made a reasonable assumption about your motives. Or was there something altruistic that I missed - please do tell me if I've missed it. Then you respond with basically a repetition of the originally story, one which still doesn't backup the idea that the race is 600 years old. I don't know why.

Oh and I'd suggest the biggest reason for it not happening is this.....

"A survey has suggested that two thirds of people in the country no longer mark the Christian tradition of making pancakes."

i.e. frankly nobody gives a toss.

No doubt I'll be banned for not toeing the line and all evidence of this thread will strangely disappear
. :roll:
From the top:

This morning, at work, a courier driver asked me if I'd heard about this item. I hadn't.

I didn't put on my "Daily Mail glasses"( a paper I never read) but Googled it out of interest. Up came the link I posted, and another from Virgin Radio with the content I later posted. I did it for interest and not from any "motive".

Nowhere, repeat nowhere, did I say anything about a race. The 600 years was relating to the pancake tradition.

"Garry Glitter nemesis, contents of my house, hypocracy", Christian tradition? All these leave me baffled.

Banning? Why would that be? If you're in some way suggesting I was responsible for your previous ban, then you're way off the mark there too. You managed that all on your own.

The rest, all because of two words and a link, has me lost.....completely.

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:25 pm

blurred wrote:
LeeRoyBrown wrote:
Is it true then or just a malicious rumour?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:28 pm

LeeRoyBrown wrote:
blurred wrote:
LeeRoyBrown wrote:
Is it true then or just a malicious rumour?
linky or something to get commie of this boring rant :mrgreen: